Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indiana bill to require schools to teach "Stop the Bleed"

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The service is simply basic bleeding. Control is another department.

Chris
    The problem is no one in Chicago knows how to stop the bleed - in either a metaphorical or literal sense. And it should come as no surprise that no one wants to support Stop(ping) the Bleed(ing) here either.

The irony here is that the American College of Surgeons, who are one of the two initiating partners of this venture, is based in Chicago.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-17-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Hammertime
    This is very cool.

Meanwhile here we have an OSHA poster from a few years back in the district office detailing the proper response to heavy bleeding is to simply "elevate the wound" and "do NOT apply a tourniquet". I've been to Stop the Bleed and I wish others here would go as well, and I'm a squeamish bitch.

It will take me about a quarter second to say fuck those instructions and run to the truck for meds if they're needed. I vainly hope if I'm ever injured there's a nearby coworker not so brainless that they follow that poster's retarded guidance.

Schools have so far to go in so many departments it's amazing people still trust them to raise their children. I would not.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-17-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How old are they?

Managing massive hemorrhage is something I first learned at a young age as a Scout.

Fortunately I live in Virginia now, but unfortunately that means I won't be doing any classes in NJ anymore.

If anyone in NoVA wants it, I can do a class and would gladly take off work to make it happen. I promise you'll get more out of it than a typical B-Con class, which is super basic powerpoint regurgitation and very superficial with pretty much zero skill craft. I'll let BaiHu and Hufnagel comment on how good they thought my version was compared to the standard B-Con. I require zero payment, I just need someone to give me 8 bodies (max), an appropriate teaching venue, and 4 hours of your attention. Bonus if you have an HDMI projector, but at this point I'll just buy my own if need be.....I've already spent a ton of money on investing in quality training supplies to begin with. I still use the B-Con slides/program, so you'll still get a "cert" from ACS you can present to work or whoever if that matters.
    I can't speak on the value of B-Con because I haven't done it, but TGS was awesome and we donated all the money we raised for the class to our local first aid squad. I know we had a nurse in that was very pleased to have this class offered. So that's saying something. Our first aid squad didn't even take the class, so that also is saying something [emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    My son (now a freshman in high school) and I did a "Stop the Bleed" thru our local town nurse. He's a Scout (soon to be Eagle Scout). The town nurse was concerned because he was on the younger side. He handled it better than some of the older students.

One thing I found is that "Stop the Bleed" is NOT basic first aid. We didn't learn how to deal with muscle/skeletal injuries (splinting, immobilizing, etc) or airway issues. STB class was strictly bleeding and frankly large scale building at that. It was applying tourniquet for limb injuries/removal and basics of dealing with penetrating trauma to torso.

My son and I discussed the course with our local Scoutmaster and decided that the course was not appropriate for our entire Scout Troop. We felt that the skills themselves were ones that we didn't feel were good for the younger Scouts.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing program and I fully support it. I just wanted to share my thoughts.
    Last year my explorers taught improvised TQs as one of the skill stations at a Council event. We even made them props with flowing red-ish ( Outdoors, in January. We used RV antifreeze) blood that they had to stop. We also demo'd the CAT as part of the station. I don't recall anyone complaining, or being traumatized by it.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I should have been a bit clearer in my original post.

My son's opinion, which I supported, was that the younger scouts (end of 5th grade, 6th and 7th grade) lacked the maturity necessary for the class. We both could picture several of them trying to put tourniquets on each other for "head wounds." It's the age. He did recommend that the Troop consider bringing in the EMTs to teach it to the older (high school age) Scouts. We also recommended that the First Aid Instructor (Scout) take the class and work with the EMTs to develop more first aid training for all Scouts.

Still hasn't happened.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Unsurprisingly to those who know my line of work (emergency management), I am a huge advocate of Stop the Bleed. We've begun incorporating it into the medical curriculum for our CERT program and I have a cheap-but-effective amputation simulator that I use in each CERT class' final exercise to assess how well they've learned (so far, running about 50% saves, mainly due to lack of desire to get messy... sigh).

To my way of thinking, this is basic life skills stuff. My ultimate goal is to get a Teen CERT program running in the local high schools. Thus far, it's been a no-go because city attorneys have gasped and clutched their pearls - they're afraid the city might get sued if kids try to help out in an emergency and screw it up. I guess none of them were Boy Scouts, but I also wonder if the Scout Handbook still has a section on crowd control with 6' quarterstaves.

On the plus side, Big State University's College of Communications has a delightfully subversive professor who teaches the CERT curriculum as part of an elective that's ostensibly a survey of zombie literature and its relationship to societal trends. She's cycling about 60 undergrads a year through it. From my conversations with her, the end-of-semester surveys show that the students think everyone should be required to have this class to graduate.

It's a drop in the bucket, but it's a start.
    Last edited by Notorious E.O.C.; 01-17-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: drunken punctuation
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We did have basic first aid in high school health when I was a youngster. No AED, as they weren't a thing yet, but Red Cross CPR, heimlich, splinting, bleeding control, etc. were covered in health classes. I think junior year, maybe senior.
    That's excellent, my HS did not. It wasn't till Uncle Sugar sent me to EMT school that I got my Red Cross cert because it was a prerequisite despite the CLS/TCCC training. My daughter hasn't had any basic first aid and neither has my wife that is something we are working to remedy. Your post was extremely timely. Thanks again.

@alohadoug thanks for the additional info.
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-17-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    I guess none of them were Boy Scouts, but I also wonder if the Scout Handbook still has a section on crowd control with 6' quarterslaves.
    I can say with certainty that it does not! Though it should.

Great work locally, though.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    He did recommend that the Troop consider bringing in the EMTs to teach it to the older (high school age) Scouts. We also recommended that the First Aid Instructor (Scout) take the class and work with the EMTs to develop more first aid training for all Scouts.
    Civilian EMTs have terrible skills with this stuff. I am/was one, and when I took over as the chief at my last job I retaught all 40+ of my EMTs because it was clear they didn't have solid skills on it...as in, they didn't really know how to properly apply one.

If you're in Hawaii (guessing by your name), reach out to one of the military units in your area and see if you can have medics come out and teach it instead.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List