Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana bill to require schools to teach "Stop the Bleed"

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Indiana bill to require schools to teach "Stop the Bleed"

https://fox59.com/2019/01/16/new-bil...bleed-program/

Morris has already trained roughly 600 members of Plainfield schools, and says they’ve already added kits in classrooms and school buses. It's very simple knowledge and equipment that can make a major difference.

“The best medicine is basic medicine," Morris said. "Simple things like holding direct pressure, that's exactly one of the first things we do here when someone gets to the emergency department.”
    This also appears to be available for free to the general public in many states: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search Several 1-2 hour classes nationwide on bleeding control.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This is great info BBI. I just found a class near me so it looks like family fun for one evening. I don't know why basic first aid isn't covered in schools nation wide, we have AED's and first aid kits at almost every public place I've seen. If everyone took a Red Cross basic first aid course in high school everyone would be better off.

Site Supporter
    Thanks!

Like Mike, I too found local classes. Unfortunately, most are either in Richmond (2hrs away) or in the morning, but I think I'll be able to fit in the 8am-9:30am class next Friday.

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    This is great info BBI. I just found a class near me so it looks like family fun for one evening. I don't know why basic first aid isn't covered in schools nation wide, we have AED's and first aid kits at almost every public place I've seen. If everyone took a Red Cross basic first aid course in high school everyone would be better off.
    We did have basic first aid in high school health when I was a youngster. No AED, as they weren't a thing yet, but Red Cross CPR, heimlich, splinting, bleeding control, etc. were covered in health classes. I think junior year, maybe senior.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We did have basic first aid in high school health when I was a youngster. No AED, as they weren't a thing yet, but Red Cross CPR, heimlich, splinting, bleeding control, etc. were covered in health classes. I think junior year, maybe senior.
    Sounds about what I learned in Scouts and school-based health classes (graduated in '91). AED, "factory" tourniquets, and just the sheer volume of data courtesy of the GWOT weren't available yet, or at least hadn't found its way into common curriculum. I was floored the first time I got to try a CAT and how easy and effective it was. My previous tourniquet training was with a bandana and a stick.

Chris

I was stoked at the potential for this. Naturally - no one is offering basic bleeding control in Chicago.

Are you surprised? I'm stunned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I was stoked at the potential for this. Naturally - no one is offering basic bleeding control in Chicago.
    The service is simply basic bleeding. Control is another department.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    My son (now a freshman in high school) and I did a "Stop the Bleed" thru our local town nurse. He's a Scout (soon to be Eagle Scout). The town nurse was concerned because he was on the younger side. He handled it better than some of the older students.

One thing I found is that "Stop the Bleed" is NOT basic first aid. We didn't learn how to deal with muscle/skeletal injuries (splinting, immobilizing, etc) or airway issues. STB class was strictly bleeding and frankly large scale building at that. It was applying tourniquet for limb injuries/removal and basics of dealing with penetrating trauma to torso.

My son and I discussed the course with our local Scoutmaster and decided that the course was not appropriate for our entire Scout Troop. We felt that the skills themselves were ones that we didn't feel were good for the younger Scouts.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing program and I fully support it. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

speaking of which: @BaiHu @TGS any plans for another class here in NJ?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    My son (now a freshman in high school) and I did a "Stop the Bleed" thru our local town nurse. He's a Scout (soon to be Eagle Scout). The town nurse was concerned because he was on the younger side. He handled it better than some of the older students.

One thing I found is that "Stop the Bleed" is NOT basic first aid. We didn't learn how to deal with muscle/skeletal injuries (splinting, immobilizing, etc) or airway issues. STB class was strictly bleeding and frankly large scale building at that. It was applying tourniquet for limb injuries/removal and basics of dealing with penetrating trauma to torso.

My son and I discussed the course with our local Scoutmaster and decided that the course was not appropriate for our entire Scout Troop. We felt that the skills themselves were ones that we didn't feel were good for the younger Scouts.

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing program and I fully support it. I just wanted to share my thoughts.
    How old are they?

Managing massive hemorrhage is something I first learned at a young age as a Scout.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    speaking of which: @BaiHu @TGS any plans for another class here in NJ?
    Fortunately I live in Virginia now, but unfortunately that means I won't be doing any classes in NJ anymore.

If anyone in NoVA wants it, I can do a class and would gladly take off work to make it happen. I promise you'll get more out of it than a typical B-Con class, which is super basic powerpoint regurgitation and very superficial with pretty much zero skill craft. I'll let BaiHu and Hufnagel comment on how good they thought my version was compared to the standard B-Con. I require zero payment, I just need someone to give me 8 bodies (max), an appropriate teaching venue, and 4 hours of your attention. Bonus if you have an HDMI projector, but at this point I'll just buy my own if need be.....I've already spent a ton of money on investing in quality training supplies to begin with. I still use the B-Con slides/program, so you'll still get a "cert" from ACS you can present to work or whoever if that matters.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List