Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&K Cleaning Question

H&K Cleaning Question

Hello,

I just bought a new handgun for the first time and I've put maybe 300 rounds through it and tonight I decided to give it a good cleaning. I purchased a cleaning kit and watched a few YouTube videos so I wouldn't do anything catastrophic and I think I may have messed my barrel up.

I have the VP9 with the black slide and the tan frame and when I was cleaning the barrel I decided to use my wire brush because I noticed the black coming off leaving an almost dull greenish color underneath so I continued thinking the black was maybe carbon buildup and now I'm worried I took the finish off. Anyone have a y insight?

Thanks!

It would probably be helpful in terms of getting useful responses if you could post a picture of what you're talking about.

Site Supporter
    What type of wire brush did you use?

I will take some pictures when I get home from work.

And I was using a brass one that came in the cleaning kit.

I believe what you are seeing is brass residue, the brass residue should just wipe off with whatever cleaning product/solvent that you use.

Site Supporter
    As a side note, a brush is not needed at 300 rounds. While it is tempting to keep a gun spotless, it really isn't necessary and can often wear out the barrel faster than shooting it.

See all the 2,000 round challenge threads on the forum to help you understand that, mostly, what is needed is some lubrication. If the gun isn't dry it will run.

Other than that, run a cleaning rope through the barrel and wipe the slide/frame insides down occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    As a side note, a brush is not needed at 300 rounds. While it is tempting to keep a gun spotless, it really isn't necessary and can often wear out the barrel faster than shooting it.

See all the 2,000 round challenge threads on the forum to help you understand that, mostly, what is needed is some lubrication. If the gun isn't dry it will run.

Other than that, run a cleaning rope through the barrel and wipe the slide/frame insides down occasionally.
    A brass/copper/steel brush is never needed to clean a H&K barrel unless you're a seriously high volume soft lead bullet shooter.

Drag a Bore-Snake through the barrel every once in a while, maybe scrub the serious crusties off with a nylon toothbrush occasionally, wipe it down and add lube.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Ok that's good to know. I actually just bought a bore rope so that will make the process much easier now.

So the black on the outside of the barrel was just residue you think? I know it's hard without pictures, I just don't want to find out I took a coat off the metal or removed the bluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmasix View Post
    Ok that's good to know. I actually just bought a bore rope so that will make the process much easier now.

So the black on the outside of the barrel was just residue you think? I know it's hard without pictures, I just don't want to find out I took a coat off the metal or removed the bluing.
    What type of cleaner are you using?

It sounds like the cleaner you're using is reacting with the copper jacketed residue and leaving the green color. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A brass/copper/steel brush is never needed to clean a H&K barrel unless you're a seriously high volume soft lead bullet shooter.

Drag a Bore-Snake through the barrel every once in a while, maybe scrub the serious crusties off with a nylon toothbrush occasionally, wipe it down and add lube.
    This is exactly what I do with Glock and HK pistols. Metal CZ pistols require more detailed cleaning in the frame around the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List