Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag extension evaluation

Mag extension evaluation

At what point does one consider a mag extension good to go? I picked up several from Solum Tool (see avatar) and have about 800 through a single extension. Mixed factory and SS hand loads. A 1000 rd burn down of self defense ammo is not economically feasible, but I feel I have passed the GTG point. Thoughts?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I feel I have passed the GTG point. Thoughts?
    I feel the same way.

I've been using a ton of different extensions, for Glock and CZ, since moving to a 140 mm capacity division some 5 months ago. I don't particularly do round counts on extensions but if I go several shooting sessions, which amounts to say 1000-1200 rounds, without issues I feel quite confident. Haven't put them on my carry mags though, but just 'cause of size. I don't think HP vs FMJ makes a lick of difference but I would make sure that the power factor / energy are comparable so whatever slide is doing velocity-wise is the same. I actually have not had any feeding issues with TTI, ZEV, various TF, Henning and CZC extensions. I do have one mag with a heavy brass TF extension that drops out of the gun in recoil when loaded with 20+ rounds. It is probably a mag body problem but I didn't care to check. I do think you're GTG.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I think you're good to go as well. How many rounds through a new factory mag with no extension before you trust it? Probably about the same is enough for extensions, no?

I'd trust a Taylor Freelance H&K extension after a 100 rounds or so of FMJ and maybe two mags worth of JHP, but i wouldn't trust it as much after 1000 rounds or a year loaded, fully compressed.
    Those competition extensions are hell on springs.

On my nightstand VP9 I use a factory 20 rounder because factory H&K magazines are the best magazines, no reason to mess with aftermarket if I don't have to conform to any competition rules (140mm).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

FYI: 20 round H&K magazine with a X-grip adapter works perfectly in the USPc9.

Attachment 34292
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I had over 2000 flawless rounds through a mag with a TTI extension. I was very confident in it. I put in a new spring and carried it for several months. One day I dropped it on the concrete....
    Last edited by jeffhughes; 01-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.

According to the website, they source Wolff springs. I agree HK OEM mags are among the best out there.

@Jeff Hughes and what happened after the drop on concrete? Is that the reason for the "was very confident"?
    Last edited by CCT125US; 01-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhughes View Post
    I had over 2000 flawless rounds through a mag with a TTI extension. I was very confident in it. I put in a new spring and carried it for several months. One day I dropped it on the concrete....
    Break & spill the beans?

Sounds good. I think when vetting mag extensions, it's especially important to make sure the lsst few rnds in the mag feed well.

I usually start off that way, loading and shooting two or three in the mag a few times, then a few magfulls.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSixPack View Post
    Break & spill the beans?

Yep...

User Tag List