Thread: RFI: Ames/Des Moines, Iowa area

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar

RFI: Ames/Des Moines, Iowa area

I've got a line on a job in Ames, Iowa. Mrs. Write and I are heading out next week for my in-person interview and some general reconnaissance of the area. I'd appreciate any intel y'all can share on general quality of life, as well as tips on worthwhile shooting facilities in the area.

It looks like Iowa is generally welcoming of the contents of my safe, including the cans and the SBRs. Any other 2A concerns I should be aware of?
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

I haven't been in Ames recently enough to give many specifics, but it's a nice place. Something for everyone, from the perspective that in addition to the college town you don't have to go far if you'd rather live in a rural area, small town, or big city. IFC is the main 2A organization there, and they have made solid progress...10 years ago, you didn't have shall-issue CCW permits or NFA stuff, but things are in pretty good shape now.

For places to shoot, I'm most familiar with Ankeny Ikes for USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, etc. I think the same guys also run some indoor matches at CrossRoads. There's an Ames Ikes chapter as well, don't know as much about them. The IFC web site also has a list of ranges. If you're looking more at defensive training, not sure about the Des Moines area but if you don't mind heading west a couple hours, keep an eye on the LHGK calendar, he regularly hosts guys like Craig Douglas, Cecil Burch, William Aprill, Ernest Langdon, Mike Pannone, etc.

Good luck with your interview!

User Tag List