Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Glock Gen 3 vs Gen 5 25 yard precision testing - AmmoSquared Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Could it possibly happen because the first round is fired from a cold barrel?
    I don’t think so, because I observed the first shot flyer with Glocks, over extended sessions when I was working 50 and 100 yards. Haven’t tried exploring this with Gen 5 pistols yet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I know a P O S T Firearms Instructor that would fire a round into the berm prior shooting the P O S T course for qualification.

Being on the Pistol Shoot Team for a LEA he always shot a score of 120 which is 100% on the LA. P O S T Qualification.
    I’ve been through this thread twice now, and this still struck me as odd. The POST Course starts with 25-yard barricade slow-fire string (12 shots in a minute) at a full-value scoring ring that’s almost a foot wide and even taller. The first-round berm shot sounds more like superstition than a guarantee of mechanical consistency. A mechanical “first round flier” might open up a group by an inch or two. That’s negligible on a target the size of a POST 2-pt zone.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I’ve been through this thread twice now, and this still struck me as odd. The POST Course starts with 25-yard barricade slow-fire string (12 shots in a minute) at a full-value scoring ring that’s almost a foot wide and even taller. The first-round berm shot sounds more like superstition than a guarantee of mechanical consistency. A mechanical “first round flier” might open up a group by an inch or two. That’s negligible on a target the size of a POST 2-pt zone.
    That is the LEO P O S T course and it is nothing like the P O S T Firearms Instructor Course and his groups were normally sub 4" for the entire course which includes shooting Dominant Hand Only and Non Dominant Hand Only.

That is the LEO P O S T course and it is nothing like the P O S T Firearms Instructor Course and his groups were normally sub 4" for the entire course which includes shooting Dominant Hand Only and Non Dominant Hand Only.
    That makes a lot more sense. What’s the instructor course? Double distance, half the par time, smaller target area?

Also, how is the “cold bore shot” administered? I have never done an LE qual that wasn’t run on a cold line to start, and I have never done an LE qual that allowed “dumping” a surplus round on the clock.

(I have done both the FL and SC qual courses)
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    That makes a lot more sense. What’s the instructor course? Double distance, half the par time, smaller target area?

Also, how is the “cold bore shot” administered? I have never done an LE qual that wasn’t run on a cold line to start, and I have never done an LE qual that allowed “dumping” a surplus round on the clock.

(I have done both the FL and SC qual courses)
    The Instructor Course starts in the Prone Position at 50 Yards, next is Bullseye at 25 yards and it goes on from there if you pass these. If not you go to the house. You can look it up online.
    I have shot on quite a few LEA ranges starting in 1972 with a revolver and only saw the 1 shot before qualifying once from a former P O S T Firearms Instructor who said he had a new pistol and needed to see if the sights were right from Glock. This was approved by the Instructors. He was Retired but was formerly on a LEA Pistol Shooting Team for a major City.

The Instructor Course starts in the Prone Position at 50 Yards, next is Bullseye at 25 yards and it goes on from there if you pass these. If not you go to the house. You can look it up online.
    I have shot on quite a few LEA ranges starting in 1972 with a revolver and only saw the 1 shot before qualifying once from a former P O S T Firearms Instructor who said he had a new pistol and needed to see if the sights were right from Glock. This was approved by the Instructors. He was Retired but was formerly on a LEA Pistol Shooting Team for a major City.
    Thanks for all the detail. Interesting stuff.

User Tag List