Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 3 vs Gen 5 25 yard precision testing - AmmoSquared Youtube

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interestingly, I did not find the 115 Lawman to shoot well in my Gen 4 Glock 19 pistols, which surprised me after my Gen 3 17 experience.
    I was doing my shooting with Gen 4 guns at the time, so that would be consistent.

Site Supporter
    I too have had not so great luck with Lawman 115 great ammo but have no data to bolster my claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    For whatever reason, I find that 115gr Wolf WPA is some of of the most accurate ammo out of my glocks (not necessarily the most consistent). Absolutely no idea why. 147gr HST is the best, but I haven't tested a lot of other JHPs. 147gr AE works well too.
    I’ve had similar results with the Wolf WPA in several guns. Shoots very well for the price. The older AE 147 has done real well in my experience. I just got some with the new bullets and so far it hasn’t shot as well for me as the original.

My experience with 9mm guns is that they will shoot best with either a hot 115 grain load or a moderate velocity 147 grain load, no way to tell until you test. Speer Lawman 115 TMJ shoots great out of my P320RX, but just ok out of most of my other guns. IMI 115 ball is probably the most accurate 9mm ball round for me across a variety of guns. Winchester 115 Value Pack has turned in a couple of surprising performances as well. My Walther PPS RMSc loves S&B 115 ball.
    Last edited by LtDave; 01-22-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Glock 19 Gen 3 (3 pin).
    25 yards free
    5 rounds 124 Gr. XTP handloads.

Really cold day, around 10 degrees but no wind.

Sub 3 inches on a B8 bull. First round out of the gun was the high left shot.

Name:  G19Gen3-25ydBull.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  37.7 KB
    Last edited by SecondHandSmoke; 01-26-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Bullseye is still around; it just is not as popular as it once was. The state-of-the-art has come quite a way in the last seventy years, and the results show it. Nowadays one can find off-the-shelf pistols that will shoot into less than 2.5 inches at fifty yards -- if the shooter and ammo can do it. Here is the original test targets from my old David Sams 9x19 1911. Note that the targets are for ten rounds and thirty rounds.

Jerry Keefer built a barrel testing fixture to test barrels he plans on using in his builds. My understanding is he rejects more barrels than he accepts. Joe Chambers builds guns that shoot into less than two inches at fifty yards. The late Travis Strahan built some amazing guns (the Accu-Lock) that focused on getting the barrel and slide into exactly the same relationship for each and every shot. I was fortunate enough to compete with one of his guns.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Glock 26 Gen 3
    25 yards, Freestyle
    115 Grain S&B

5 shots @ 3.1 inches

Name:  G26Gen3-115SandB-25yds.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  35.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Bullseye is still around; it just is not as popular as it once was. The state-of-the-art has come quite a way in the last seventy years, and the results show it. Nowadays one can find off-the-shelf pistols that will shoot into less than 2.5 inches at fifty yards -- if the shooter and ammo can do it. Here is the original test targets from my old David Sams 9x19 1911. Note that the targets are for ten rounds and thirty rounds.

Jerry Keefer built a barrel testing fixture to test barrels he plans on using in his builds. My understanding is he rejects more barrels than he accepts. Joe Chambers builds guns that shoot into less than two inches at fifty yards. The late Travis Strahan built some amazing guns (the Accu-Lock) that focused on getting the barrel and slide into exactly the same relationship for each and every shot. I was fortunate enough to compete with one of his guns.
    Those targets are incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondHandSmoke View Post
    Those targets are incredible. Thanks for sharing.
    Those targets humble me because I have not come anywhere close to the pistol's potential. Every miss is on me, not the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondHandSmoke View Post
    I've recently found a youtube channel that has been conducting ransom rest accuracy testing with a Gen 3 vs a Gen 5 Glock and many types of ammunition.

I've found it to be very interesting and recommend checking it out. Specifically I found a post by the manufacturer of the Ransom Rest regarding the fact that many semi auto's throw a flyer on the first manually loaded round. I remember Mas Ayoob talking about this in an article once, but I was hoping PF.com may have some ideas of why this occurs? Mas had a name for it if my memory serves me right, but I can't remember what it was... something like 4+1 syndrome or 9+1 syndrome meaning you get a flyer the first shot.

Found this video and read comments wow this is good stuff.. and Jimhans1 is correct but if We can elaborate. We have learned also for basically all semi auto rifle and pistol when you hand rack or even drop the slide release the forces applied to seat the round is not the same as when round fires and when firearm auto cycles. You only see this repeatable in a proper test in a Ransom Rest. Cold bore shot yes but even after 16 rounds it will still do it to a degree. Therefore it is the manually loaded round. Each firearm and ammo combination is bit different but we have seen consistency in this, sometime the firearm and round will throw that first round repeatedly to the 9 clock position some combinations throw it to the 6 or 3. quite interesting some at one inch some 2". We don't see this in revolvers or bolt action. some operators lift machine off battery position in recoil direction to throw first round above target in the berm when testing semi autos. That's only if you can if your berm is high enough. You can in some situations with care, leave last round in chamber from the settling rounds and carefully change mags and continue your test. If you have to change target make sure rest is pointing up and not down range. Care and safety is always needed around firearms of course. This method can also be recommended because we have also had a few semi autos on the last round prints slightly different as well, possibly due to slide locks back and vibration, forces or barrel pressure, or gas cycle. it is interesting. Please comment as well. And I love what AmmoSquared is doing here.I myself like to know what those flyer rounds do and in most cases when you find the right ammo to firearm combo, the flyer, hand rack round can sometimes become minor or miniscule. It still may be a flyer but may not be 1" off it may only repeat at half inch off. And knowing which way that firearm with that ammo may fly to is very valuable info. Thank you great video AmmoSquared

It explains it pretty well, but does this occur even when firing offhand? I can't imagine Bullseye shooters could tolerate the first round from their string being that far off. Any thoughts/info is appreciated.
    I've read of that first shot flyer issue multiple times, pertaining to extreme accuracy competitions like bianchi and I think it might be mentioned in Brian Enos' book. I believe it has to do with how the round gets chambered (manually versus recoil).

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I've read of that first shot flyer issue multiple times, pertaining to extreme accuracy competitions like bianchi and I think it might be mentioned in Brian Enos' book. I believe it has to do with how the round gets chambered (manually versus recoil).
    Could it possibly happen because the first round is fired from a cold barrel?

User Tag List