Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 3 vs Gen 5 25 yard precision testing - AmmoSquared Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The difference in accuracy between Gen 3/4 and Gen 5 Glock 34 pistols has been observed with iron sights and a red dot. Before the Gen 5 34, the Gen 3/4 34 pistols were less accurate for us than 17/19/26 pistols, but with Gen 5 all the pistols seem very accurate, as in two inches at 25 yards.
    My Gen4 34 shoots much larger groups than my Gen 3 G26, G19's, and G17. Interesting to hear someone else say what I've suspected for a while.
    Last edited by SecondHandSmoke; 01-17-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondHandSmoke View Post
    My Gen4 34 shoots much larger groups than my Gen 3 G26, G19's, and G17. Interesting to hear someone else say what I've suspected for a while.
    I very briefly had a Gen 4 G21 and a GSSF award G35 that didn't group better than about 4" and were easily outshot by some Gen 3 guns I had then. Both slides had a little wobble on the frame with the trigger reset. I think it's more individual gun than models generally with a tip of the hat to the G26 reputation for goodness.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

PensFan

Cool

Do you own one? How many handguns have you tested with a ransom rest? How many Bullseye or PPC matches have you won or competed in?

I know of several PPC champion shooters who have used them for decades for load development with both revolvers and autos.
    I've done enough testing with them to make my comments. I will say that I haven't used one for custom hand loads. Only factory duty ammo.

Out of the box molds are crappy at very best.
    Custom CNC molds produce much better results. Not everyone has that luxury.
    Torque wrench required.
    Naturally what and how you mount it has a huge affect in results.

Trust me there are much better systems out there but they are can afford them.

If it's all you have? drive on with your bad self.

When it comes down to true mechanical accuracy. They just aren't very good. Even under the best conditions.

I'm not bitter though.
    Last edited by PensFan; 01-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Is the recoil impulse the same with the 19x vs other Gen 5s?
    The 19x/45 are the only Gen 5 guns I have experience with right now. And I love them with a nearly, but not quite HK fanboy love. Super enjoyable to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post
    Trust me there are much better systems out there but they are can afford them.

If it's all you have? drive on with your bad self.

When it comes down to true mechanical accuracy. They just aren't very good. Even under the best conditions.

I'm not bitter though.
    Out of a perverse curiosity, and my own ignorance, what is better? What's the bee's knees for measuring pistol accuracy?

I did a bunch of ransom rest testing borrowing a rest from a buddy and found that the first shot flier is a real thing. If I recall, the official instructions with the ransom rest recommend throwing out the first round as well.

Some general take aways:

1. Guns are very ammo sensitive when you're trying to get sub 2" out of a "combat" handgun. A load that is accurate in one gun may not be as accurate in another. The best groups I got were about 1.2", but the worst were easily 4-6" out of the same gun with different ammo.

2. Gen5 glocks seem to be on average slightly more accurate then gen3 and 4, but you still have to account for the first point. As stated, the best groups were in the 1.2 range with gen5's, and the best I got out of gen4 with a stock barrel was 1.6". A KKM in a gen4 gave me a 1.2" as well.

If folks who have Gen 3/4 and Gen 5 glocks wouldn't mind posting 25 yard groups with various ammo I would really appreciate the info. I'm not interested in "it's more accurate than I am" type statements. I would like to see some honest targets.
    I‘ve been shooting a Gen5 G19 MOS with Ameriglo suppressor sights (tritium front, black rear) for a while. I haven’t been shooting much over the last several months, so that’s definitely a limiting factor, but my gut sense is that its accuracy is quite a bit better than Gen3 pistols, somewhat better than Gen4 pistols, and on par with the VP9.

The VP9 required a drive-the-dot hold. At 25 and 50 yards, different loads hit different POIs within the dot. Some were at six o’clock, others at nine, but the groups were tight enough to reveal trends. That did not happen with Gen3 pistols—they just made a cloud of bullet holes in the target—but it did with Gen4 pistols and I see it to a greater extent in this Gen5 example.

I have not tested enough loads to narrow this difference just to bullet weight. S&B 124-grain FMJ shot better than most loads in my Gen3 and 4 pistols. In the Gen5 G19 MOS, 10-shot groups are about what Gen3 guns did with OEM barrels, or around 4” at 25 yards and 8-10” at 50 yards. It also threw a couple of unexpected flyers in less formal earlier tests.

In my experience, American Eagle 147 FMJ groups either very well or very poorly in a given pistol. In the Gen5 G19 MOS it shot into 3” at 25 yards and 6-8” at 50 yards. That’s a 20-25% improvement, which I’ll take any day of the week.

On the bright side, both loads have the same POI at 25 and 50 yards, which is nice.

Sorry, but I don’t have pictures of targets.

I have a theory that Gen 3 Glocks strongly prefer 147 grain ammo, and Gen 5 glocks have improved accuracy with lighter loads.
    I've gone over my notes for the last 5-6 years looking for comments on bullet weight and accuracy in Glock pistols. Based on admittedly small samples, I believe that
    • Individual guns shoot better with specific loads but that generations either do not or that their preferences are much less pronounced.
    • Duty ammo outshoots FMJ.
    • Some FMJ is way better than others.
    • Testing loads definitely pays off.
    • The hotter the ammo, the more accurate it tends to be.
    • The kind of accuracy I'm talking about probably doesn't matter within 15 yards, but doesn't start to show itself until you get to 25 yards.

Take 115-grain S&B FMJ for example. My notes say that one Gen3 pistol shoots it as well as my best handloads (10 shots in 4" at 50 yards), and that it's the most accurate pistol/load combination I've tried since I began keeping notes. My notes also say that a different Gen3 pistol I tested around the same time groups S&B 115 FMJ so poorly that shooting it in that pistol is literally a waste of ammo.

Definitely looking forward to what other folks determine about their guns.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I know a P O S T Firearms Instructor that would fire a round into the berm prior shooting the P O S T course for qualification.

Being on the Pistol Shoot Team for a LEA he always shot a score of 120 which is 100% on the LA. P O S T Qualification.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Will_H View Post
    Out of a perverse curiosity, and my own ignorance, what is better? What's the bee's knees for measuring pistol accuracy?
    Good question. Not many options commercially.

If folks who have Gen 3/4 and Gen 5 glocks wouldn't mind posting 25 yard groups with various ammo I would really appreciate the info. I'm not interested in "it's more accurate than I am" type statements. I would like to see some honest targets.

I have a theory that Gen 3 Glocks strongly prefer 147 grain ammo, and Gen 5 glocks have improved accuracy with lighter loads.
    There are scads of them in this 100+ page thread. OTOH it's been going for years so Gen 5's are not in there as much yet.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-yds-revisited
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List