Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people run into the toilets?

Site Supporter

Why do people run into the toilets?

This is a piece on the recent Kenya shooting. https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...habaab/580561/

My topic is that in a great number of incidents people seem to run into the rest rooms. There is no way out. If you can't defend the door reasonably. It's a death trap. Happened at Sandy Hook, IIRC.

Is it that people regard the bathroom as some kind of sanctuary? I would tell folks never to do that, go for something that has an exit.

Thoughts?

I think most people without specific training or good presence of mind probably just think "HIDE!" and in a panic state don't have the presence of mind to realize they're trapping themselves.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Suspects have been known to hide in bathrooms too. Might have something to do with a culture in which the bathroom is seen subconsciously as a private place??

Connoisseur of cheap 1911 Sidheshooter's Avatar
    Because they know that cops ‘n CCW carriers routinely leave handguns lying around in public restrooms?

I kid, I kid...
    "The evidence is all around us—the paroxysms of inchoate, infantile rage suffered by those who have turned fallible politicians into saviors and devils, godlike avatars of Good versus Evil."
    -Camille Paglia

Site Supporter
    Run, hide, fight. Or so we get told in staff training. Where you gonna hide in a mall or school, if you’ve never wargamed this? Or a bar in Florida?

LE Forum Moderator BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Where you gonna hide in a mall or school, if you’ve never wargamed this? Or a bar in Florida?
    Mall, the stockroom of whatever store you happen to be in. Stateside they usually have a door in the back. Depending on the mall, it'll either dump you outside or in to a hallway for deliveries that will dump you outside if you're on the first floor. On an upper floor, there's usually still a back door but the hallway may dump you back out near an elevator or escalator. I note the "back door" of whatever store I'm in if it's unfamiliar to me. It's not always obvious, particularly in a clothing store.

Bars are trickier, I'm sure. Especially a multi-level affair, like some of them downtown here. If you're on the 3rd floor and don't know where to access a fire escape, are drunk, and panicked, good luck.
    L'otters are not afraid.
    WWOMJD?

Well, when I do emergency preparedness presentations, I tell 'em to use bathrooms as tornado shelters, so maybe I need to be a little more explicit that it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
    - Carl Sandberg

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    Well, when I do emergency preparedness presentations, I tell 'em to use bathrooms as tornado shelters, so maybe I need to be a little more explicit that it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.
    I was wondering if that is a reason people would run there. From the drills in school and they think of it as a safe area.

I think that the no exit is a very valid point. I will be keeping it in mind. But, I can still see why people may run to the bathroom. I am not sure there is a lot of thinking involved for us regular people in that kind of situation but some of it might be;
    -it gets you out of view of the shooter
    -many are tiled floor to ceiling which, although not an actual bullet stopper, should add some security compared to sheet metal studs and drywall construction everywhere else
    Well heck, I thought I would come up w/ more than two but I guess not. Wife and I always find restaurant seating so I can watch the entrance and sometimes we both can. Now I really need to be looking for exits too. At the very least we need to ID the kitchen. Thanks for bringing this up.

Why hide in a bathroom? Why drive into the car in front instead of veering into an open lane? If you've never considered what to do in a given emergency, you're likely to make bad choices while in panic mode. The overwhelming majority of people believe that they will never be in a fire, shooting, car wreck, etc, and have no training on what to do if it does happen.
    You can never beat a monkey in a poo flinging contest.

User Tag List