Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people run into the toilets?

Site Supporter
    I've spent two evenings in institutional bathrooms as tornadoes were on the way. Interestingly, I wonder how some poor soul felt when on the throne and they heard 30 people run into the stall.

When the take cover was announced, some folks ran for the cars as they could get out of school early. Whoopee!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    ...in a great number of incidents people seem to run into the rest rooms...
    What better place to be if you're about to shit your pants?

I think it's because people equate the restroom with privacy. Or perhaps it's instinctual to hide in a small space. Creatures of all types seek out small spaces to hide when threatened.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Mall, the stockroom of whatever store you happen to be in. Stateside they usually have a door in the back. Depending on the mall, it'll either dump you outside or in to a hallway for deliveries that will dump you outside if you're on the first floor. On an upper floor, there's usually still a back door but the hallway may dump you back out near an elevator or escalator. I note the "back door" of whatever store I'm in if it's unfamiliar to me. It's not always obvious, particularly in a clothing store.

Bars are trickier, I'm sure. Especially a multi-level affair, like some of them downtown here. If you're on the 3rd floor and don't know where to access a fire escape, are drunk, and panicked, good luck.
    We’ve been training in an abandoned/shut down mall. I’ve done real searches in it for copper thieves. What BBI said. Get in the rear access/employee hallway tunnels. They’re like a maze. Multiple exit points with stairwells going from floors. Every shop has a back door to get in them along with access points generally by bathrooms or secluded hallways.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Well heck, I thought I would come up w/ more than two but I guess not. Wife and I always find restaurant seating so I can watch the entrance and sometimes we both can. Now I really need to be looking for exits too. At the very least we need to ID the kitchen. Thanks for bringing this up.
    One of the things we see in evacuation studies (mainly evacuations for fires, because that's what generates most of the data) is that the vast majority of people will leave an unfamiliar space through the same portal they used to enter it, even if a closer or safer exit is available. This defeats the purpose of having multiple fire exits and can lead to potentially lethal crowd crushes. Not a bad idea to have an alternate exit in mind for situations other than gunfights.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Lady, I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of.
    Sam, from the movie "Ronin"
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Condition Write View Post
    One of the things we see in evacuation studies (mainly evacuations for fires, because that's what generates most of the data) is that the vast majority of people will leave an unfamiliar space through the same portal they used to enter it, even if a closer or safer exit is available. This defeats the purpose of having multiple fire exits and can lead to potentially lethal crowd crushes. Not a bad idea to have an alternate exit in mind for situations other than gunfights.
    Especially at theatres.

toilet

My take on why? Think about it from the stand point of a human being, in your life what was the one place that was sanctuary? The bathroom. This is the one place that few people go with you, when you do your business. Those that are not trained, run into it. It is a subconscious decision, to get away from the issue and/or people. I get in there, then I go into a stall, no one in the right mind would come in.
    As we all know this is the wrong decision, first the person attacking is not in the right "mind", 2nd there is no exits, and third there is limited if any way to block the door or find defense tools. Remember the people who run into the bathroom are not trained and believe "out of sight, out of mind". I recall an incident, where a felon was engaging LEO, with gun fire. I believe it was in Ohio, there was a innocent bystander, as soon as the shots was fired, she ran into a portable toilet (so you know she was scared). Afterward, she stated, I just know I had to get out of there, so I went inside. The mindset is concealment and feel secure, what better way then wrapped in a blanket or inside a close room, that feels hugging you.

You see this scenario play out in a lot of movies. Some panicking woman is being pursued by a villain and runs in the back bathroom and locks the door which the bad guy proceeds to break down. There is a fantastic weapon in practically every home bathroom that nobody thinks about. The heavy porcelain lid to the toilet tank. All she would have to do is stand off to the side of the door and hold that lid cocked over her head and wait for the "Here's Johnny" moment. She would literally have the drop on the bad guy.

BTW, I am really hard to watch a movie with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    You see this scenario play out in a lot of movies. Some panicking woman is being pursued by a villain and runs in the back bathroom and locks the door which the bad guy proceeds to break down. There is a fantastic weapon in practically every home bathroom that nobody thinks about. The heavy porcelain lid to the toilet tank. All she would have to do is stand off to the side of the door and hold that lid cocked over her head and wait for the "Here's Johnny" moment. She would literally have the drop on the bad guy.

BTW, I am really hard to watch a movie with.
    Good show, another tool in the toolbox!

Maybe they think the bathroom door can be locked from the inside?

Maybe they think they can barricade the door?

User Tag List