Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any semi's going full auto experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I always load the first mags with 1, 2, and 3 rounds to check live-fire function on a firearm I haven't shot before, prior to inserting a full mag.
    I do exactly the same after having a newly acquired gun show Colt Series 70 fire multiples at the first range test. It was definitely an attention getter. It was still a good deal including the new sear, hammer and spring.

M1 Garand with a worn sear, doubled and tripled on me at the recreational range at Ft Lewis, which may not have been the worst place for it to happen, but...

And, yes, 3 .30-'06 that quick is rough on the shoulder.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Back when I was a college student, I got a used Norinco 1911 as a cheap way to see whether I liked this 1911 business or not. Well, the gun had an atrocious trigger. I got some new parts for it, and took the gun to a "professional gun smith". Three times, two different "professionals". After the third time I had a rather nice trigger in my gun, and so went to the range to try it out. Fortunately, I only loaded two rounds into the gun - the cyclic rate of a 1911 is pretty darn fast.

Recoil was brisk but manageable (by someone other than me...).

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    In another case back in the late 90's, a shooter a couple of lanes over at an outdoor range brought an SAR-1 AK, and it reliably doubled with a light trigger pull.
    For several years the only evil black rifle we owned was my Arsenal SAR-1. The girlfriend and I would by ammo by the 500 round "brick" and dump it all through my gun in a single range day shooting close range drills. So the gun had seen some use.

Anyways, girlfriend is borrowing my rifle in a match, shoots the close up targets just fine, and takes aim at what I recall might have been a 150 meter target. Same thing, gun doubles.

The gun got some new internal parts after that episode.

A Walther P99 has really a very good single action trigger pull with a teeny tiny short little reset. Enables some truly warp speed shooting - pity I can't keep the sights on the target at those speeds. Anyways, borrowed the gun to a new shooter. We were shooting some introductory IDPA stages, and one of them had a portion where you had to shoot support hand only from a bit awkward position. Never did see anyone shoot my P99 in burst mode before. The gun functioned just fine afterwards when I tested it. Seems the gun just was able to wiggle around in the shooters grip enough that the trigger reset and was pulled again.
    Last edited by That Guy; 01-20-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Off the top of my head, a few Army 1911s, Bushampster ARs, SKSs that had "trigger jobs" (one of which resulted in the shooter being killed...), a G34 that also had a "trigger job", and an old Savage .22 rifle that we had when I was in high school that turned out to be a lot of fun when it would triple, quadruple, and whatever 5-8 rounds in a burst might be. whatever
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    M1 Garand with a worn sear, doubled and tripled on me at the recreational range at Ft Lewis, which may not have been the worst place for it to happen, but...

And, yes, 3 .30-'06 that quick is rough on the shoulder.
    In the '70s my Grandfather had a .30-06 FN49 that he and my Dad would occasionally use for deer hunting. It would double with my Grandfather's reloads but not factory ammo. He later figured out his preferred primers were softer than what was in the commercial ammo he was buying.

In the early '90s a friend took a Bingham Squires .22 replica of a PPsH41 in as a partial debt payment. The "drum" only held 10 rounds and the only time we took it out it would reliably jam every other round. Until the third time we loaded the drum then it was bang-jam-bang-jam-brrrrp. The RO lost his mind so we put it away and went to the skeet range.

In 1996 the M16s we had in Basic were rebuilt A1s overstamped as A2s. Squeezing the trigger hard enough in semi or burst would reward you with a mag dump and an ass chewing if a DS was close enough to know who did it.

I had a FAL that would double after I put the US trigger parts in it. It was fun right up until the hammer broke in half.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I've had a Para P14 double during an IPSC competition (unaltered, and flawless for several thousands rounds before); then inspected everything and touched the sear tip angle and the problem went away for many more thousand rounds. Of course it came back in the middle of another competition, only this time it tripled.
    Changed the sear and the problem went away for good.
    In both cases all shots landed on the target.

User Tag List