Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Any semi's going full auto experiences?

I have seen and heard similar stories of worn or maladjusted guns doubling or going auto, I have only had a couple.

If you hunker down over sandbags with about any semiauto rifle and aim carefully and squeeze gently, you are likely to "milk" the trigger and get a double.. or more. A .22 auto would often double and sometimes run away until I let off the trigger, it jammed, or ran out. My Mini 14 would double off the bench but it had a 4.5 lb ARS trigger job.
    Neither would "bump fire" shooting offhand.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Personally witnessed it last summer in my squad at the Washington State IDPA Championship Match; the user was operating a Glock with some aftermrket trigger/action components (shocker, I know...). The gun was immediately deadlined from the match, but fortunately the shooter had a back-up gun that he was able to complete he match with.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

It was interesting to see how LITTLE of a difference there was between the inadvertent G18C's cruciform engagement, a "normal wear" G19 engagement, and the level of engagement on new factory parts. After seeing that, I stopped doing or advocating "25 cent trigger jobs"
    Apologies for the thread drift but....

How do you guys feel about the 'ol 25 cent trigger job? Is it likely to cause doubling or make a gun un-drop safe?

I had been under the impression that Glock functional tolerance ranges were loose enough and mechanical safety features resundant enough that there was no danger in taking to it with Flitz and a dremel polishing wheel.

My Uncle in law's Para Ordnance 14/45 went full auto a few years ago on our used to be annual New Years day family shoot. I don't know why, I don't think I've asked him about it since.

In my later teen years me and a friend took his Dad's SKS out back on their property to do some shooting. It had been converted to accept AK mags. After the first trigger pull, it dumped all 30 downrange. Neither one of us knew jack shit about guns at the time so we took it back to the house for his Dad to look over. It was a stuck firing pin from being so dirty and gummed up.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Name:  G17.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  87.1 KB

I found this early Robar G17 at a local shop for under four bills. Some previous owner had put TFOs and that goofy crossbolt safety trigger in it. Someone had also been at the trigger bar with the Flitz, because it constantly doubled and tripled on its first range trip.

So obviously...

Name:  glock 17 guts.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  48.5 KB

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-17-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A shot fired while loading or unloading is a DQ.

The RO didn’t want to, but rules are rules.
    It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that such a rule could have an exception written in for this kind of thing, and allow him to compete if he has a spare gun with him to do so with.

Baffling that such a stupid rule (in the context of a damaged gun, not a person's error) has never had anyone do something about it. Seriously, people are ok with someone spending the money, driving in with all their equipment, setting aside a day to do a competition just to have to be sent home for no good reason whatsoever? That is some of the stupidest crap I've ever heard.

Ok, sorry for the drift, but damn that's dumb. As far as guns going wonky, I had a buddy 15 or so years ago that had some ancient .22 semiautomatic rifle. Plugging away at the range and it started doubling. We immediately stopped and tried to assess what was wrong. The range staff was crapping bricks. He moved shortly after and we kind of lost touch. I don't know if ever got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Apologies for the thread drift but....

How do you guys feel about the 'ol 25 cent trigger job? Is it likely to cause doubling or make a gun un-drop safe?

I had been under the impression that Glock functional tolerance ranges were loose enough and mechanical safety features resundant enough that there was no danger in taking to it with Flitz and a dremel polishing wheel.
    My answer is, "It depends." Generally, with a light touch with the Flitz and the polishing wheel, probably no problem. Put "Dremel" "light touch" and a ham-fisted Joe Bubba Glock owner in the same geographic proximity and you've got an immediate definition of "oxymoron," with a likely possibility of interesting events subsequently occurring.

Realistically, putting 500-100 rounds through the Glock will accomplish the same thing as the .25 trigger job. I do strongly counsel performing a detailed disassembly prior to use, and applying a light dollop/film of a non-migrating cream/grease (such as my personal preference, Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2, or TW25B) to the triggerbar and connector interfacing surfaces. That should last about a year before needing to reapply.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

I found this early Robar G17 at a local shop for under four bills. Some previous owner had put TFOs and that goofy crossbolt safety trigger in it. Someone had also been at the trigger bar with the Flitz, because it constantly doubled and tripled on its first range trip.

So obviously...

Problem solved, problem staying solved.
    Dang, someone polished NP3-plated internals, causing the pistol to double. Great buy and even better save, Tamara. Less than $400 in a NP3-finished pistol is one heck of a deal.

Still makes me wonder why anyone would polish NP3-plated parts.

Back in 2008, my new Kimber SIS Custom was going full-auto.

The Range Master where I was shooting made a 1/2 turn adjustment to the trigger adjustment screw and it then seemed normal. Calling in, Kimber still wanted to check it out at its expense.

Upon return, Kimber had replaced the hammer, sear, trigger, and sear spring for good measure.

I saw a new trigger fire several rounds with 1 trigger press repeatedly because it did not have enough contact with the firing pin and it was replaced with a new one that functioned properly.

Not sure if I was allowed to name the company and I never saw another one do that.

User Tag List