Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any semi's going full auto experiences?

A guy in my academy class had an old S&W 59 go full auto. It's been almost 30 years ago and I don't remember if anyone determined the cause.

My Mother In Law's hubby, who is not very knowledgeable about guns but likes them a lot, had a Taurus that he was really proud of. With regularity it would fire 2 - 4 rounds with a single trigger pull. He claimed that it was a "feature" that made the gun "more powerful." I just smiled and nodded.

Had a Para Ordnance 1911 commander that started doubling and tripling. The first time it doubled I was "what the hell was that?" Second time I was "that's kind of cool." Then it tripled and I was "that's not cool." Sent it back to Para and they replaced the sear and hammer.

Back in the early 90s when my department was going through transition to the G19 platform, I was assigned as a firearms instructor/armorer. We (I) experienced a few G19s go auto on us. GLOCK was always on speed dial back in those days, as were were one of the first "big" departments to go with GLOCK. Their first reaction was that the pistol(s) had been tuned or played with or buggered with. Of course they had not been. When the department "told" (read that as threatened?) GLOCK that a nationwide TT was going to be sent out, GLOCK responded by practically overnighting several thousand+ new trigger bars, striker kits and a couple of factory techs to our range to retrofit all of the guns in the field. Kind of made us think that they were aware of the problem already...
    BTW, the problem was a bad batch of trigger bars with the uplift angle on the cruciform being too low, resulting in out of spec engagement with the striker. And in some cases the engagement was so minimal that guns did not even cock. Once the parts were swapped, the G19s were GTG.
    Last edited by Det1397; 01-16-2019 at 11:13 PM.

When my pistol went back to Glock they replaced most of the trigger group. The old parts had a flat grey color, all the newer parts were finished in melonite.
    When I contacted Glock they said send it back. Very shortly afterward they were advertising their "free upgrade" in all the gun magazines.
    Last edited by Steven T; 01-17-2019 at 08:29 AM.

I shot a USPSA match last year where a very competent Limited A class shooter was DQ’d for an accidental discharge while loading. He was using a 2011 and inserted a one round ‘Barney’ mag. After the match he took the gun to an open berm and tried again. All 6 he had in the mag went off. Luckily he is a strong shooter and kept them all in the backstop.

He disassembled it for the ride home.

Site Supporter
    I received a Springfield 187s .22 semi-auto rifle in a multi gun deal a few years ago. Took it to the range and it would double at least once per fully loaded mag tube. Once it actually fired four rounds on one trigger pull. I then cleaned the action as best I could and have had no problems since. I was able to find out that these rifles have a tendency to fire multiple rounds per trigger pull if the internal parts are worn. If it gets worse, it will get sent off to Numrich for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    I shot a USPSA match last year where a very competent Limited A class shooter was DQ’d for an accidental discharge while loading. He was using a 2011 and inserted a one round ‘Barney’ mag. After the match he took the gun to an open berm and tried again. All 6 he had in the mag went off. Luckily he is a strong shooter and kept them all in the backstop.

He disassembled it for the ride home.
    He got DQ'd for a gun malfunction? That's jacked up.

Site Supporter
    Through my early years on a range, my Dad always insisted on a specific test of unknown firearms:
    First mag is one round and one round only.
    Second mag is two.
    Third mag is three.
    If that all goes well, then fill'er up.

In the early 2000's that process made a friend's SKS a much safer experience when it doubled on that second mag of 2 rounds. He'd cleaned all the cosmoline *off* of the rifle and cleaned the bore, but hadn't cleaned out the functional parts, specifically the firing pin channel.

In another case back in the late 90's, a shooter a couple of lanes over at an outdoor range brought an SAR-1 AK, and it reliably doubled with a light trigger pull. The guy kept messing around with it and teenage me thought that was cool. He let me try it, and a hard squeeze of the trigger would fire one round, gently and barely squeezing the trigger until it broke would make it double. Scary to me now, but 'cool' back then.
    After I learned a lot more about AK's, I knew that was the Century arms US made trigger and FCG which was known for hammer follow.

At an old, old arms room on Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD, I noticed 7 holes in the ceiling right over the clearing barrel and they were definitely .45 sized holes. I asked the SGT in charge of that arms room and he said that legend had it that some 1SG pointed his old GI 1911 at the ceiling instead of using the clearing barrel and the weapon went full auto and dumped the whole 7 round mag in the ceiling. It was never repaired because they used it as a teaching point to use the clearing barrels. It seemed a little ridiculous to me at the time, but knowing what I know now about 1911's it seems that it just may have been true.
    Last edited by JRB; 01-17-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    He got DQ'd for a gun malfunction? That's jacked up.
    A shot fired while loading or unloading is a DQ.

The RO didn’t want to, but rules are rules.

User Tag List