Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any semi's going full auto experiences?

We had a VERY well used G19 that went full auto on us on the range one day. I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor that once we made sure everyone was intact, we did or did not expend about 100 magazines through that pistol before we took it back to the shop to detail strip and replace all the guts (after which it returned to normal boring semiautomatic operation).

It was interesting to see how LITTLE of a difference there was between the inadvertent G18C's cruciform engagement, a "normal wear" G19 engagement, and the level of engagement on new factory parts. After seeing that, I stopped doing or advocating "25 cent trigger jobs"

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

It was interesting to see how LITTLE of a difference there was between the inadvertent G18C's cruciform engagement, a "normal wear" G19 engagement, and the level of engagement on new factory parts. After seeing that, I stopped doing or advocating "25 cent trigger jobs"
    A Glock trigger "wears in" so well and, even then, after a case of ammo you won't know better. I stopped messing with such things after watching a G17 go burst mode after a polished aftermarket trigger was put in. Despite being a Glock and like you said, those geometries are kind of delicate.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I always load the first mags with 1, 2, and 3 rounds to check live-fire function on a firearm I haven't shot before, prior to inserting a full mag.

A friend tells of an old Colt AR that had so many rounds through it the trigger wore out and went full auto after a momentary press of the trigger. He was politely asked to leave by the RSO. Packed up and went home to put new parts in.

I was at a local range when they had a Sig Sauer promo day. Sig's factory demo MCX started going full-auto while I was in the lanes. That wasn't long before the recall.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The reason that I always load two rounds in a magazine with a new gun, any gun that has been detail stripped, or any action work is that I once had a new-to-me 1911 "triple". The muzzle rise from three 230-grain hardball in the blink of an eye was hard to control.

BTW, root cause was some ham-handed work on the disconnect.

Site Supporter
    As a new USPSA shooter, I cleaned and reassembled my 1911 for a local match. It was doubling every shot. Fortunately, lots of experienced shooters and few 1911 smiths there. They were all trying to understand what I did so they could replicate! Turns out I did not seat the sear spring back properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven T View Post
    A new out of the box Gen 2 Glock 22 in the early nineties.
    Man that must have been wild. I had a hard enough time controlling the Glock 18 I shot. The full auto G22 must have been a beast and a half.

Site Supporter
    I’ve seen a Charter Arms AR-7 double but that’s about it. I guess I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Man that must have been wild. I had a hard enough time controlling the Glock 18 I shot. The full auto G22 must have been a beast and a half.
    At the time 40 S&W was hard to get, so I only had 5 rounds loaded. The guy who had the 17 go auto was somewhat less calm about his situation.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The muzzle rise from three 230-grain hardball in the blink of an eye was hard to control.
    Back in the 70's there were couple of holes in the roof of the shed over the pistol range at the Oklahoma City Gun Club because of that. Fortunately, the range fan was vast in those days.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have seen a Jennings 9mm that belongs to my BIL go full auto. The sear spring was broken. I have never figured out why the disconnect didn’t stop it after the first round.

My BIL called Jimenez and they sent him a box of parts for free. The sear, firing pin, and every spring in the gun. He fixed the gun, put two magazines through it and put it away. He has better guns, but insists on keeping the Jennings. It was his first gun, and he carried it while working nights during college.

User Tag List