Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any semi's going full auto experiences?

Site Supporter
    Browning Auto 5 12 gauge brought in for repairs. It fired so rapidly that individual shots could not be distinguished, like a sheet ripping.

I had a Sig Mosquito that doubled on me a few times... and I've gotten doubles with a Ceiner .22 conversion kit that was in need of polishing and lube.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Yes. A CZ P07 that the previous owner had put some Cajun parts in. Luckily I only had two rounds in the magazine. I couldn't get it to go full auto reliably either. Sometimes it would double, sometimes triple, sometimes it fired normally. CGW confirmed that doubling or even full auto was possible with that particular combination of parts and sent me something to correct it. A heavier sear spring, I think? It's been a while since I've seen the inside of a P07 now, so I don't remember. I was able to fix it with that part, but it eventually went to CGW for the full spa treatment once their backlog reduced. It was remarkably controllable in full auto, but I didn't have any interest in knowing the ATF more intimately so I fixed it after that first range trip.

I've had a Colt Armorer-tuned Springfield Armory 1911 "double" repeatedly with .45 Auto hardball, and a Robinson Armament M96 rifle go full-auto, emptying its magazines of 5.56 x 45 each time the trigger was pulled. (I reloaded till the range officer made me stop.)

Both of these occurrences happened at ranges, guns pointed downrange, so no harm came of either event.

The pistol was promptly inspected, and clearly had proper hammer and sear engagement as well as correct disconnector length and function. No specific issue was found (trigger weight was 3.5-4 lb.), and it's never happened again.

Alex Robinson fixed the M96 promptly too, though I never heard from him exactly what had allowed it to fire full auto.
    I later sold it.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Over 20 years ago I had an 22l Erma copy of a Walther PPK double and triple on me. It was due to a worn firing pin spring. I couldn't find a direct replacement, so I drilled out the FP passage slightly larger and installed a larger diameter FP spring, which solved the problem.

the 2nd instance was a couple years ago. I accidentally reassembled my AR with the hammer spring legs *under* the trigger pin (I knew better, just zoned while putting it back together after working on it). My first clue was a slamfire from dropping the bolt, but I didn't note the significance, so I pulled the trigger. It went full rock and roll for a dozen or so rounds. I unloaded it, packed it up, and took it home where I discovered my mistake. No issues since.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I had a Para P12 go full auto right after I had a Wilson beaver tail grip safety installed.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-16-2019 at 03:16 PM.

When I shot on the Oklahoma National Guard pistol team back in the 80's, the older guys warned me that a match-tuned 1911 could go full-auto as the parts wore. They told me to hold the hammer to the rear when chambering the first round, and to beware if the hammer fell to half-cock at any point. I had one do that a couple of years later, so I immediately turned it in for repair. Some of the older guys would hold the trigger to the rear and rely on the disconnect to keep the gun from firing.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

A new out of the box Gen 2 Glock 22 in the early nineties. At the same time the owner of a gun shop I used had a new 17 that also went auto.
    This was right before Glock ran their recall that wasn't a recall.
    I also had a new Para P16 go auto due to a shaving in the firing pin channel holding the firing pin out after the first shot.

Site Supporter
    A buddy's G17 match gun had a bit too much internals monkeyed with, and started doubling. Stock parts put a stop to that.

Yugoslav SKS that need a new firing pin - the one in it bent and just ran through the rest of the magazine.

Had an AR go full auto on me it was not a pleasant experience when you pull the trigger and expect “bang”, but get “bang bang bang.”

Turned out the previous jackass (owner) decided to polish the sear ruining the geometry in the process. Gave me a good excuse to get the Geiselle SSA.

User Tag List