Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

I’ve seen tactics so bad my balls physically hurt from their general assault. I actually sent thank you letters to the folks carrying out said training classes because I questioned why folks would want to reproduce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    As for gear some times you get what they issue you. I once worked a position where body armor was a uniform requirement, the first set they issued me hung damn near to my knees. Management didn't care if it was effective as long as I met the uniform requirements.

When I first started there they issued us Safariland 6280 level 2 holsters (Same as CSPD). After a year the manager decided they were "crappy holsters" and took them all away and gave us drop leg SERPAs. I cringed every time I put that holster on but I had no option or input. I wore what I was issued.

As for tactics people are people and some people are lazy and do the absolute minimum required. I promise you that those guards have been told time and again to give up the money. I'll also bet you even money that they were both carrying with an empty chamber by company policy. (ETA The worker's comp pay out for a dead guard is less than what Frank Azar would get out of them if one of the guards killed a bystander defending the bank's insured money)

I don't know if I've told this story here but I was loading up my car for work one night when someone started shooting at the end of the parking lot. I took cover, drew MY EMPLOYER'S weapon, scanned around and since I didn't see anyone shooting I went back inside.

To make a long story short I made a police report and reported the incident to my employer (because I was late for work because of it). They fired me for drawing THEIR weapon while I thought someone was shooting at me.

I wouldn't carry a gun for a security company if they doubled my salary
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-17-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    As for gear some times you get what they issue you. I once worked a position where body armor was a uniform requirement, the first set they issued me hung damn near to my knees. Management didn't care if it was effective as long as I met the uniform requirements.

When I first started there they issued us Safariland 6280 level 2 holsters (Same as CSPD). After a year the manager decided they were "crappy holsters" and took them all away and gave us drop leg SERPAs. I cringed every time I put that holster on but I had no option or input. I wore what I was issued.

As for tactics people are people and some people are lazy and do the absolute minimum required. I promise you that those guards have been told time and again to give up the money. I'll also bet you even money that they were both carrying with an empty chamber by company policy. (ETA The worker's comp pay out for a dead guard is less than what Frank Azar would get out of them if one of the guards killed a bystander defending the bank's insured money)

I don't know if I've told this story here but I was loading up my car for work one night when someone started shooting at the end of the parking lot. I took cover, drew MY EMPLOYER'S weapon, scanned around and since I didn't see anyone shooting I went back inside.

To make a long story short I made a police report and reported the incident to my employer (because I was late for work because of it). They fired me for drawing THEIR weapon while I thought someone was shooting at me.

I wouldn't carry a gun for a security company if they doubled my salary
    I wouldn’t do security work without a gun, so if we apply both standards, security work is just right out.

Site Supporter
    Loomis Armored Driver/Guard Hourly Pay. The typical Loomis Armored Driver/Guard salary is $12. Armored Driver/Guard salaries at Loomis can range from $10 - $16. This estimate is based upon 46 Loomis Armored Driver/Guard salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods.
    Being in the ATM business and interfacing with Loomis personnel, I never liked what armored drivers made.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I wouldn’t do security work without a gun, so if we apply both standards, security work is just right out.
    I pocket carry at work. I do so with the understanding that if I get caught I'll be terminated immediately no questions asked.

BUT that's not the same as open carrying for the client.

Working as a security guard means that you are going to be in positions that bring you into conflict with people and working as an armed security guard exacerbates at because of the gun.

If you work as an armed guard it is only a matter of time before somebody says you threatened them with your gun. If the somebody that says that is a client employee who's far enough to up the food chain, you're done.

As a security guard carrying a gun makes you a target. People who wouldn't dare attack a cop wouldn't think twice about jumping me for my gun. I've told the story here about the two guys that tried to rob me one night in uniform. Obviously I can't KNOW this but when I told the story the law enforcement Forum moderator BBI speculated immediately that I was targeted for my gun.

Based on my experience with the company that I was working for had I reported that I defended myself by drawing their firearm they would have fired me.

Now having said all that , at least to a degree my level of safety depends on the job that I'm doing. There are people who work for my employer that do hospital security they go to work every single night with the expectation that they're going to have to go Hands-On with somebody. The hospital pays $2 an hour less than what I make here.

I'm currently at a shipping hub. I'm behind a 9-foot fence with a foot of barbed wire on top of it. There are people coming and going in this lot all night long,

I'm never really alone and I'm not really expected to keep order. I'm here to be a visible deterrent to keep the homeless people out of the lot. I haven't had an actual confrontation with anybody since Thanksgiving night.

On the other hand if they were to send me to the parking garage downtown and tell me to run homeless people out of the building all night I'm going to be in a confrontation every single night. Which is one of the reasons I refuse to work that site.
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-17-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I read this article about the Houston armored car robbers a few days ago and it just made those two guys today really stand out.
    I've shared that article with many people. Very interesting stuff.

Site Supporter
    For a mercifully short time in my life, I worked as an unarmed security guard.

The pay was barely above minimum wage, and for the most part the companies got what they paid for - warm bodies in uniforms.

I had already completed a work assignment before my background check was completed.

I offered to teach self-defense to the other guards, and neither company was interested due to liability concerns.

Training was mostly being told to show up on time and in uniform, with a small number of conflict resolution techniques being presented.

I worked five straight 13 hour days for one company, but they decided that their pay week ended in the middle of those 5 days, so I got a fraction of the overtime I should have gotten.

To say I have no respect for most of the private security industry would be an understatement.

Carrying a gun even against company policy was not a legal option in that location. At one job, I kept a 6 D-cell Maglight in my hand.

There are better security companies with armed, better trained staff making more $, but many security clients don’t want to pay for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Personally, in post-career retirement, I walk through my life looking out for things that may negatively impact myself and those I love. If it doesn't meet that criteria it's beyond my quota of fucks to give. I guess some just have more energy or angst than I do. Criticizing strangers doesn't make me feel like a big man, it just makes me feel like an ass hole and when I get out of bed in the morning I tell myself, "Don't be an ass hole today." Might give that a try.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

bad

Yes, I have seen it from time to time, and yes I just cringe and shake my head. I have witnessed, amateur's (limited trained couriers), retired professionals from Law enforcement do it as well. On the rare occasion I have seen former military trained people do it. I had the chance to discuss it with a few, and the consensus answer was, "the likely hood of something happening is so small, does it matter". I then say, "if the chance is so small, why are they paying money to have you do it or carry firearm?", "The chance of it happening isn't if, but when".

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For a mercifully short time in my life, I worked as an unarmed security guard.

Carrying a gun even against company policy was not a legal option in that location. At one job, I kept a 6 D-cell Maglight in my hand.
    I worked unarmed security in Hawaii for about a month right around 9/11 (actually my first day). State law (or so it was explained by the company) prohibited security guards from carrying anything that could be considered a "restraint" so no handcuffs, zipties, rope, 550 cord bracelets, etc. Also, we could not carry any type of device that could be considered an "impact weapon." I had one of the Ayoob dejammers on my keys and was told to immediately remove it. Flashlights were limited to a one AA 2 cell maglite. Nothing larger and absolutely no tactical flashlights (Surefire 6P were the rage). One of the guys I worked a shift with got fired when a supervisor for another location drove by and saw he was carrying a 2D cell maglite (the batteries in the 2AA had gone dead so he got that one from his car to check the fence).

Only there a month before I got a USG position....

User Tag List