Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    n the case of my bank, the layout of the parking lot and building means that I am driving around all 4 sides of the building before pulling up to the ATM
    I normally drive around the building once if it's after hours regardless of the layout. Gives you a chance to check out around corners and in any blind spots.

Site Supporter

Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    It's entirely possible that I'm just completely misunderstanding your intent here but I'm not sure you do understand caution.

I carry a gun everywhere I go to defend myself not so I can ignore the Rule of Stupids and get away with it.
    I thought after posting that there might be some misunderstanding, which is why I wrote the post right above yours, which was probably not there when you wrote your post.

I do not regard the simple act of using an ATM at night, with all of the other precautions in place, to violate the rules of stupid. Obviously taking out money with access to more money does create a risk factor. I am not going to be reckless in creating risk factors (going to the walk up ATM in the bad neighborhood with people loitering around), but I am prepared for that risk factor.

Look at some of the threads here discussing whether leaving the gun behind to have an alcoholic drink is wise, and it is clear that different opinions exist about exactly when and where crossing the line of stupids occurs. (I do not drink alcohol.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-28-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The replies to my previous post are all worthy of consideration, everyone can make their own assessment of their risk vs need factors. My main point is if an ATM is a sketchy thing to do, it may not exactly be required in many if not most instances. Ive managed to do without an ATM since '92 and dont recall ever wishing I could use one. If I need cash, I go to the bank or do without. Walmart often asks if you want cash back with a purchase, as some have said their grocery stores do. An emergency 20 or 50 in the dark recesses of the wallet has been useful a time or two, as is a little cash in the gun safe or someplace safe.

I did have a credit card fail to work on a trip once for no good reason, and I did have cash for backup, as I normally do. It prompted me to get a backup card with a lower limit, which has been handy now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Walmart often asks if you want cash back with a purchase,
    You go to Walmart?
    Talk about high risk, low reward.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    You go to Walmart?
    Talk about high risk, low reward.
    I keep hearing about how awful walmarts are, but the ones I go to dont seem to be inhabited with the same level of dregs most seem to encounter. Small towns in the northern rockies and plains, one in the midwest, havent been any drama or really weird people beyond the occasional person looking like they wore their pajamas to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I keep hearing about how awful walmarts are, but the ones I go to dont seem to be inhabited with the same level of dregs most seem to encounter. Small towns in the northern rockies and plains, one in the midwest, havent been any drama or really weird people beyond the occasional person looking like they wore their pajamas to the store.
    Pull up the "calls for service" log of any Police department that has a WalMart in their jurisdiction.
    It'll be #1 by a disproportionate margin.

In New Mexico I'd rather go to a walk-up ATM in Espanola than the WalMart in Espanola.
    I'm picking on Espanola because the entire city is a shit hole.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-28-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Cards are like guns: carry more than one.
    Sure, but even then, things happen.

Think of cash as a knife you also carry in addition to a firearm.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm picking on Espanola because the entire city is a shit hole.

.... this made me lol, all the in-laws are from Espanola..... but yeah, Walmart’s have driven an officer I know to try to leave his beat mid year, just to switch to another one that doesn’t have a Walmart. I go to Walmart when it’s the only thing open, but rarely go there with family.

Site Supporter
    I haven't used an ATM since the early 1980s . . .

I don't stop for gas at an establishment when the tanker truck is there filling up the storage tank, either.

I never go to a shopping mall, a movie theater, or Wal Mart without being armed.

Everybody evaluates their own environment and makes decisions about what precautions to take. Fortunately, I live in a place that has a low level of random street crime, but it does happen sometimes.

If it can be predicted, it can be prevented . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    .... this made me lol, all the in-laws are from Espanola.....
    The Allsup's convenience store by Camel Rock used to have an armed guard sitting in it after dark back in the early '90's.
    An armed guard in Allsup's... back when Allsup's didn't give a rats ass about their employees getting robbed/killed.
    That's how you know you done stopped at the wrong store for gas and a Coke.

As to Espanola being a shithole, at least they can look down on Farmington and Shiprock. LOL

User Tag List