Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I read this article about the Houston armored car robbers a few days ago and it just made those two guys today really stand out.
    A couple days after reading about that crew, I saw a couple armored car guys (maybe Loomis) servicing a drive-through ATM. Bag man had his head in the machine, and the driver never looked up from his phone...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    I worked unarmed security in Hawaii for about a month right around 9/11 (actually my first day). State law (or so it was explained by the company) prohibited security guards from carrying anything that could be considered a "restraint" so no handcuffs, zipties, rope, 550 cord bracelets, etc. Also, we could not carry any type of device that could be considered an "impact weapon." I had one of the Ayoob dejammers on my keys and was told to immediately remove it. Flashlights were limited to a one AA 2 cell maglite. Nothing larger and absolutely no tactical flashlights (Surefire 6P were the rage). One of the guys I worked a shift with got fired when a supervisor for another location drove by and saw he was carrying a 2D cell maglite (the batteries in the 2AA had gone dead so he got that one from his car to check the fence).

Only there a month before I got a USG position....
    Crazy but I guess not surprising. They knew about dejammers, but not that the same guy who created and sold the dejammer also wrote about the use of a 2AA Maglight as a Kubotan/Yawara/pocket stick type weapon? I had never really thought of the 2D Maglights as a preferred choice if one is looking for an impact weapon. When many LEO's were carrying Maglights, usually I saw 4D cell models.

They may have been correct re: restraints. Some states do have laws restricting their carry.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Crazy but I guess not surprising. They knew about dejammers, but not that the same guy who created and sold the dejammer also wrote about the use of a 2AA Maglight as a Kubotan/Yawara/pocket stick type weapon? I had never really thought of the 2D Maglights as a preferred choice if one is looking for an impact weapon. When many LEO's were carrying Maglights, usually I saw 4D cell models.

They may have been correct re: restraints. Some states do have laws restricting their carry.
    The guy didn't know about the Kubotan use of the dejammer, just saw it as a stick that could be used to strike someone. A really, really thin stick.

The maglite thing was weird. Basically someone felt that anything bigger than a 2AA light could be used as a club. The argument was that nothing that could be used as club was going to be allowed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Personally, in post-career retirement, I walk through my life looking out for things that may negatively impact myself and those I love. If it doesn't meet that criteria it's beyond my quota of fucks to give. I guess some just have more energy or angst than I do. Criticizing strangers doesn't make me feel like a big man, it just makes me feel like an ass hole and when I get out of bed in the morning I tell myself, "Don't be an ass hole today." Might give that a try.
    I get what you are saying, and in many contexts you would make a good point.

In this case, I know people who work for or run businesses that hire security. I also have friends and former clients in the security industry (better run outfits with better trained, more capable people).

Locally, we have had one bank robbery (no weapon displayed) within a short walk of my office, and one pharmacy robbery (2 robbers with a gun). The pharmacy was within a short walk of my house, and one that my family and I frequently visit. The bank I use has recently begun employing security (armed if I recall correctly). The manager and tellers are people my wife and I interact with multiple times per week.

On the one hand, those warm bodies in uniform provide a nice distraction for evildoers as I evacuate my family.

On the other hand, the way things are being done puts people in danger. If those with evil intent observe the overwatch completely failing to pay attention while the ATM is being loaded, then that team of guards just became a target. If I or my family am around at the wrong time, that could result in a dangerous situation for them. If someone has to work for one of these companies while between better jobs, they are in danger themselves.

If a business thinks they are hiring "security" when they are really hiring just the appearance of security and low level deterrence, they need to understand the decisions they are making.

If someone is okay with putting themselves in danger, that is not my problem. If it puts others in danger, including people I know, that becomes worthy of criticism.

If a business thinks they are hiring "security" when they are really hiring just the appearance of security and low level deterrence, they need to understand the decisions they are making.
    That has to be one of the biggest gripes of mine: Security theatre.

Back when I worked a convenience store in Columbus, some of the regulars were security workers for a BILLION dollar company based in the area. Not a contracted by an outside agency, but belonging directly to the company.

They had nice uniforms and even apparently had a military hierarchy of some sort because I remember seeing at least one with Corporal chevrons. Know what they didn’t have? Anything on their belts resembling a weapon, nor anything to restrain a person.

My previous job working at a warehouse had contracted unarmed guards from one of the big-name security companies. Not long after I started there was a fight between two workers in the lunch area. It went on for a few minutes before the head of HR for the building came out of the office and told security to break it up. Oh, and every floor worker had a box cutter but luckily those didn’t come in to play.

Unarmed security is an insult (and an oxymoron in my book)
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I get what you are saying, and in many contexts you would make a good point.

In this case, I know people who work for or run businesses that hire security. I also have friends and former clients in the security industry (better run outfits with better trained, more capable people).

Locally, we have had one bank robbery (no weapon displayed) within a short walk of my office, and one pharmacy robbery (2 robbers with a gun). The pharmacy was within a short walk of my house, and one that my family and I frequently visit. The bank I use has recently begun employing security (armed if I recall correctly). The manager and tellers are people my wife and I interact with multiple times per week.

On the one hand, those warm bodies in uniform provide a nice distraction for evildoers as I evacuate my family.

On the other hand, the way things are being done puts people in danger. If those with evil intent observe the overwatch completely failing to pay attention while the ATM is being loaded, then that team of guards just became a target. If I or my family am around at the wrong time, that could result in a dangerous situation for them. If someone has to work for one of these companies while between better jobs, they are in danger themselves.

If someone is okay with putting themselves in danger, that is not my problem. If it puts others in danger, including people I know, that becomes worthy of criticism.
    Okay, all good points.

Rebutal: If it's that important which is at least an attempt at being productive, contacting the company or bitching on the internet like a candy ass?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Okay, all good points.

Rebutal: If it's that important which is at least an attempt at being productive, contacting the company or bitching on the internet like a candy ass?
    This assumes that I have not done so already, which I have and continue to do as appropriate opportunities arise.

This assumes that I have not done so already, which I have and continue to do as appropriate opportunities arise.
    My statement was a general question, no finger pointing at you as an individual.

My entire point is this: the internet as turned everyone into a Nazi of one type or another. Log onto any discussion forum on the interwebz and you'll see plenty of people calling out some strangers bad behavior or incompetence. Guess what? We all to things we shouldn't in our personal lives and we all have less than professional moments in our professional ones. What good does it do to call out perfect strangers on the internet? Once upon a time, I spent a great deal of my time monitoring the driving habits of the motoring public. Guess what? You all suck hind tit, every god damned one of you. I could follow you, JodyH, or just about any other member of this forum around and record your trip to or from work on my cell phone. Then, I could post it up on an internet forum with the caption, "Look at this dumb ass BillSWPA's incompetence behind the wheel." Whom or what would that serve, other than to give a bunch of cyber experts another opportunity to climb up on their soap box of expertise. Glass houses, stones and all that.

The world would be a much better place if we'd all monitor our own habits first and foremost, then just mind our own business afterward.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

{edit} mehhh, waste of time...
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-18-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    That has to be one of the biggest gripes of mine: Security theatre.

Back when I worked a convenience store in Columbus, some of the regulars were security workers for a BILLION dollar company based in the area. Not a contracted by an outside agency, but belonging directly to the company.

They had nice uniforms and even apparently had a military hierarchy of some sort because I remember seeing at least one with Corporal chevrons. Know what they didn’t have? Anything on their belts resembling a weapon, nor anything to restrain a person.

My previous job working at a warehouse had contracted unarmed guards from one of the big-name security companies. Not long after I started there was a fight between two workers in the lunch area. It went on for a few minutes before the head of HR for the building came out of the office and told security to break it up. Oh, and every floor worker had a box cutter but luckily those didn’t come in to play.

Unarmed security is an insult (and an oxymoron in my book)

I ran around Colorado Springs for 2 years working for one of the big name security companies with a pair of handcuffs on my belt. They taught me how to put them on somebody and how to check to see if they were too tight but even though I asked my superiors multiple times what circumstances would justify me putting handcuffs on somebody they wouldn't give me an answer.

I want to be very clear what I'm saying I would literally ask the trainer " Under what circumstances would I be permitted to handcuff somebody?" He literally would not answer me.

I will also state that the armored car guys are not carrying that gun to protect the money. They're carrying that gun as a visible deterrent to make you think that they're willing to protect the money. IOW it's a prop.

Now I can't speak for some of the high-speed low-drag security companies out there but HSS, G4S, Allied Universal, Loomis, Brinks, Garda or Securitas if you even touch your gun you're through.

The first year I worked for HSS their armed guards carried high points.

I worked for G4S right about the time the Pulse Nightclub shooting happened. You may remember that the shooter was a former G4S employee.

After that happened our manager who is accountable for every firearm issued to every G4S employee in Colorado Springs would show up on our site at 3 in the morning to inspect weapons to make sure that we were carrying the weapon we were issued.

I had to turn in ONE ROUND of issue ammunition because I got oil on it and I thought it was too wet to be reliable. I literally had to write a statement for why I was turning in the round and I had to sign for it I had to sign a DX for the round that I was turning in and I had to sign a receipt for the round I received.

Last war story, when I worked for G4S I was on the Colorado Springs Utilities contract. They had me driving all over El Paso County in the middle of the night checking electrical substations alone with no potential for backup. During one of our random weapons inspections the utilities Security Administrator ( utilities employee) found out that I was carrying my gun with a round in the chamber and went apoplectic. He immediately issued a policy directive that no armed guard was to have around in their chamber without specific permission from him.

I will say it again in most instances if you see a security guard carrying a gun it's a prop. He might as well be carrying a BB gun
    Last edited by Cypher; 01-18-2019 at 06:10 PM.

User Tag List