Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

Bad shit rarely happens to paranoid people.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

The other day, saw an armored courier asshat. Grossly overweight, stupidly loaded down with kit on his PC, Glock in a dumbass serpa lock dropleg, bangin' around about his knee. Head was NOT no a swivel.

There's full retard, then there's full fucktard.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    USAA has no physical locations, other than their HQ in San Antonio. If I want cash, an ATM is the way to do it.
    USAA is also great in that they refund any ATM fees (up to a certain amount, IIRC). Ill do the drive up ATMs at a branch where I have another account, or get cash back from a purchase at the grocery store or WM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I watched a video by a big name youtuber on concealed carry in the gym. He gave some basic sound advice and recommended one of those belt purse holsters. So far so good, then be got on the treadmill and plugged his ears with headphones. I don't know about you but if I was some public place where I thought I might need to carry a gun, the last thing I would do is obfuscate my hearing. Especially while on a treadmill where you can't really turn and visually monitor what is going on behind you. Any time you are out in public you should be in what Jeff Cooper described as condition yellow (relaxed awareness) and listening is the only way to sense potential trouble outside your field of vision.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    I watched a video by a big name youtuber on concealed carry in the gym. He gave some basic sound advice and recommended one of those belt purse holsters. So far so good, then be got on the treadmill and plugged his ears with headphones. I don't know about you but if I was some public place where I thought I might need to carry a gun, the last thing I would do is obfuscate my hearing. Especially while on a treadmill where you can't really turn and visually monitor what is going on behind you. Any time you are out in public you should be in what Jeff Cooper described as condition yellow (relaxed awareness) and listening is the only way to sense potential trouble outside your field of vision.
    I have watched a teenage girl get hit by a car while crossing a street wearing headphones.

I have told my kids that headphones and other earpieces for music are not up he worn outside the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

I have told my kids that headphones and other earpieces for music are not up he worn outside the house.

Two places that I wear earbuds outside of the house are the gym and mowing my yard. Not saying that it's correct, just that I'm willing to accept those risks.

Can I do an hour of cardio without listening to something to take my mind off of the task at hand? Yes. Will that hour last about nine times longer without the earbuds in? Also yes.

When I'm mowing I can't hear shit anyway, and rely on frequent scans to keep me informed of the "goings on" around me. Might as well listen to music or a podcast while I'm mowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Some of you guys are either seriously paranoid or live in some seriously f-ed up towns or parts of town.

Some of the stuff some of y'all won't do at all or won't ever do without being armed is a serious laugh.
    What if I don't go anywhere without being armed? Is that laughable?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Is this "never been to and never will go to an ATM" a regional thing? Like, if you live in the middle of nowhere?

I get it, needing to go to the ATM isn't as necessary now as it was 25 years ago. And I hear all the scare stories of muggings etc around them. But in nearly 53 years on earth, and probably after hundreds of times using ATMs all over the US and even in foreign countries my experiences are definitely different than what some here describe.

Am I that lucky? I don't think so.
    Well shit, since it's never been a problem for you that must mean it's not really a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    What if I don't go anywhere without being armed?
    Ever go swimming in public?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Well shit, since it's never been a problem for you that must mean it's not really a problem.
    That's my reality.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Two places that I wear earbuds outside of the house are the gym and mowing my yard. Not saying that it's correct, just that I'm willing to accept those risks.

Can I do an hour of cardio without listening to something to take my mind off of the task at hand? Yes. Will that hour last about nine times longer without the earbuds in? Also yes.

When I'm mowing I can't hear shit anyway, and rely on frequent scans to keep me informed of the "goings on" around me. Might as well listen to music or a podcast while I'm mowing.
    Depending on where you live and work out, that is entirely reasonable. It is difficult to do any kind of meaningful workout without making some compromise, and not working out is a far worse compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Depending on where you live and work out, that is entirely reasonable. It is difficult to do any kind of meaningful workout without making some compromise, and not working out is a far worse compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I use it as a reason to hone my other senses. I wear them when I run or hike, and feel fit vibrations in the ground, and/or keep my head moving so that I don’t get snuck up on. It’s good practice...

Plus, cardio without music is like a pastrami sandwich without mustard...meaning you can keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List