Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever see tactics so bad you cringe?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I ran around Colorado Springs for 2 years working for one of the big name security companies with a pair of handcuffs on my belt. They taught me how to put them on somebody and how to check to see if they were too tight but even though I asked my superiors multiple times what circumstances would justify me putting handcuffs on somebody they wouldn't give me an answer.

I want to be very clear what I'm saying I would literally ask the trainer " Under what circumstances would I be permitted to handcuff somebody?" He literally would not answer me.

I will also state that the armored car guys are not carrying that gun to protect the money. They're carrying that gun as a visible deterrent to make you think that they're willing to protect the money. IOW it's a prop.

Now I can't speak for some of the high-speed low-drag security companies out there but HSS, G4S, Allied Universal, Loomis, Brinks, Garda or Securitas if you even touch your gun you're through.

The first year I worked for HSS their armed guards carried high points.

I worked for G4S right about the time the Pulse Nightclub shooting happened. You may remember that the shooter was a former G4S employee.

After that happened our manager who is accountable for every firearm issued to every G4S employee in Colorado Springs would show up on our site at 3 in the morning to inspect weapons to make sure that we were carrying the weapon we were issued.

I had to turn in ONE ROUND of issue ammunition because I got oil on it and I thought it was too wet to be reliable. I literally had to write a statement for why I was turning in the round and I had to sign for it I had to sign a DX for the round that I was turning in and I had to sign a receipt for the round I received.

Last war story, when I worked for G4S I was on the Colorado Springs Utilities contract. They had me driving all over El Paso County in the middle of the night checking electrical substations alone with no potential for backup. During one of our random weapons inspections the utilities Security Administrator ( utilities employee) found out that I was carrying my gun with a round in the chamber and went apoplectic. He immediately issued a policy directive that no armed guard was to have around in their chamber without specific permission from him.

I will say it again in most instances if you see a security guard carrying a gun it's a prop. He might as well be carrying a BB gun
    My experiences are dated but they do not comport with what you are asserting re: Armored car /cash transport.

Working for bigger national / international companies may be different.Cash courier work is also very different than working armed site or roving security. It is more like being a well armed, paranoid UPS man. Handcuffing people was not a thing.

Worked for three companies in the early 1990’s all local or regional. The quality and training of personnel varied but everyone carried a gun(or two) for self defense, not for the money, but not for show either. Several of my co-workers got into shootings and I had a couple occasions where I had to draw down on someone none of which resulted in negative consequences.

We had 4 basics “types” :

1) retired Cops (mostly NYPD)
    2) young guys, some ex military, who were going through the process of becoming cops, firefighters etc or going to school
    3) middle aged guys who were retired laid off from other careers. Many of these guys had worked union tradesman or at defense contractors. Some of these guys were ex military including some Vietnam vets.
    4) a small core of guys for whom armored car work was a career.

Many robberies were ambushes initiated by gunfire so you were not gonna have a chance to hand over money in many cases.

Due to the era and local conditions we normally had three man crew, one driver, one guy handling the cash and one guy soley doing cover /security.

Cell phones were not a thing then but newspapers were. I learned a lot from the old NYPD guys, particularly contact / cover and MUC, they didn’t call it MUC but they were teaching it to me nearly 30 years ago.

Company 1 was an armored car company. You carried what ever you wanted, body armor was not mandatory but they gave you a uniform allowance you could use towards a vest. No formal training or qualifications. There were two robbery attempts which resulted in shootings while I was here. Both of those robberies were spotted early resulting in an exchange of gunfire with no one hit. There was also a shooting when a crew walked in on an unrelated robbery of a client (fast food place). They had forgotten to drop off a box of rolled pennies the day before when they picked up the cash from the drop safe and went there first thing in the morning to correct the error.

One successful robbery was the result of poor situational awareness on the part of the crew. Luckily no one got hurt. It was one of the few 2 man crews. Driver was in his mid 60s. The guard was a young guy but the kind of “officer friendly type” with “it can’t happens to me” written all over him. I think someone saw he was sloppy and took the opportunity.

One co-worker from here was later killed in an ambush at a bank while working for another company. It was supposedly an inside job set up by his partner.

Company 2 was an armored car company, regional. You could carry what ever as long as it was a min of 9mm /38. They did firearms training and a company qual once per year. They also had a contract with a local indoor range where you could get a range session and two boxes of commercial reloads one a month at company expense. If you didn’t have a gun they would provide you a brand new S&W 5906 or M64 and you could pay it off via payroll deduction.

Two big incidents while I was there were well armed badguys initiated ambushes and our guys returned fire, turned things around and shot/killed some of the would be robbers.

I had two incidents here where we spotted trouble ahead of time. One we spotted three guys in a car that didn’t look right as we were walking into a client location. Called the cops from inside and they nabbed them with two handguns and a shotgun. Two of them were on parole for prior robberies. Second we spotted someone following us, called in the plate and description. Car came back to a relative of a guy on parole for robbery. We were able to ID him and he was picked up on a parole violation.

Company 3 was a check cashing and payroll company. They had check cashing stores and did mobile check cashing at factories etc. they also pre processed cash pay envelopes for clients who paid in cash. You could carry what ever you wanted, no training but they fit you for and provided you a vest.

During my time there there were two seperate incidents in which a guy was killed from ambush. Both with shotguns. Both of those were inside jobs from the client side. A third guy was shot at contact distance with a pistol but saved by a vest he had borrowed that morning because he had forgotten his own. The money was lost / given up in all three of these incident.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-21-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    To be fair I cringe when I see some construction guy walk under a suspended crane load, stand between the cab and the trailer as a forklift is loading the trailer with pipe, a guy 30' up a unsecured ladder leaning way off to one side, some dude jumping down into a 10' deep unshored excavation, opening 480V without arc protection, or one of a million other ways people manage to put themselves into potentially deadly situations for no fucking reason other than laziness or ignorance.
    If this was a construction themed forum i'd probably make a post about it.
    Do I walk over and try and discuss it with them when I see it happen?
    No.
    I've found that the people who put themselves into those situations usually don't react well to being corrected on site by a stranger. They are ignorant and/or lazy and they'll defend to the death their right to be ignorant and lazy.
    Would I bring it up on a construction themed forum so others with a like interest can discuss it and maybe do a little self-analysis and think, damn i've been getting lazy myself.
    Probably.
    It's not about "criticizing strangers" or walking away think i'm a "big man" it's about tossing out a reminder that people do stupid shit with potentially serious consequences and you or I might just be that person after a little reflection.
    Being an "ass hole" would be to silently observe bad behaviour and just keep any potential lessons to be learned to yourself. Keeping it to yourself also prevents you from learning from others observations or recollections of similar situations they've observed ar even put themselves in.

But you go on being you.
    gotta agree.

At my place employment, we are required to stop people from doing stupid shit.

Site Supporter
    How about tactics so bad they gave you nightmares? Policing is ripe for this. Too many officers with little or no training in tactics and too many instances doing dumb and dangerous things that resulted in arrests made with no injuries so they went into the win column. Poor tactics time after time reinforcing poor tactics as good ideas. No AARs, failure to realize that the suspect complied because they didn’t want to fight not because suspect realized they were at a tactical disadvantage. The result? It goes really bad when the criminal knows how and wants to fight.
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-23-2019 at 01:01 PM.

The business across the hall from my office has an ATM inside, the people who service it are not from a typical armored car service. They are wearing normal street clothes, pull up in a very non attention gathering vehicle, and are in and out in a manner of minutes. I've been outside on the sidewalk getting some fresh air when they pull up and they always circle the block at least once before stopping. One guy swaps the cash, the other watches the door. They also never show up on the same day or same time of day as the week prior.

The Mexican restaurant up the street has an ATM in the bar, which is where I treat myself to lunch every Friday. Garda shows up at the same time every week, and the same kid by himself comes in and does his thing. He carries a revolver in an old looking universal fit leather holster that lets the gun swing front to back as he walks. There is nothing else on his worn out basket weave belt except his radio, so if he has any speed loaders or speed strips they must be in his pocket or something.

I know there are lot of PF'ers who like to carry revolvers, but I'm pretty sure they're not carrying bags of cash around 8 hours a day. It's 2019, if your job requires you to carry a gun because you are responsible for large amounts of cash and people are willing to kill you over it, at the very least get a PD trade in Glock and carry a couple spare mags on your belt.

Watching morons use bad tactics while using an ATM is about as bad as watching bad tactics servicing them.
    Drives me nuts because them taking forever means i'm sitting at the "watering hole" for a lot longer than I want to be.

Card in hand long before I even drive up to the ATM.
    Place my pistol in the center console cup holder like it's a holster.
    Drive up, scanning the surrounding area.
    Wedge my truck as close to the machine as possible.
    Leave the truck in Drive so I can smear a bitch against the wall if required.
    Card in, punch buttons with left hand, rest my right hand on the pistol butt.
    Scan some more.
    Remove card and cash.
    Drive off, I can count it later.

In and out in under a minute.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Watching morons use bad tactics while using an ATM is about as bad as watching bad tactics servicing them.
    Drives me nuts because them taking forever means i'm sitting at the "watering hole" for a lot longer than I want to be.

Scan some more.
    Remove card and cash.

I am nowhere near as hard as you, but for a difference in handgun deployment, I do the same things.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I am nowhere near as hard as you, but for a difference in handgun deployment, I do the same things.
    Look at what popped up on LiveLeak, one of those ATM morons we were just discussing.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-24-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Scan some more.
    Remove card and cash.

Do you see a lot of ATM robberies in New Mexico? In the Middle Atlantic, where I live, we had some daylight robberies in the 1980's and still have some oh-dark-thirty robberies--but I haven't seen a notice of a daylight robbery in forever. It might be because so many ATM's are now inside grocery stores, right next to the manager's offices and so they aren't an easy target.

By the way, the guards you saw with bad tactics probably never were trained on tactics and look on their job as essentially a moving job in which they carry around large paper bundles. They simply haven't been trained on how to go about their job with an eye to preventing an ambush--and I'd guess that is a deliberate decision on the part of their companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Do you see a lot of ATM robberies in New Mexico?
    Albuquerque had one already this year complete with shooting the guy in the leg and jacking his car.
    Of course it was at a walk-in ATM, in southwest ABQ in the early morning hours... so not unexpected at all.

In my much smaller and somewhat quieter city we had a robbery at a walk-up ATM right next to the drive-thru teller windows just before noon on a weekday.
    Shots were fired at a bank employee who came out to assist the victim as the perp ran away.

A couple years ago a guy mugged an elderly lady and assaulted a good samaritan in the parking lot of a large grocery store.
    He'd been staking out the ATM inside the store for a victim.

Yea, it's a pretty common deal at the drive-up and walk-up ATM's in the less travelled parts of town and even happens occasionally at what would normally be considered "safe" ATM locations.

Albuquerque had one already this year complete with shooting the guy in the leg and jacking his car.
    Of course it was at a walk-in ATM, in southwest ABQ in the early morning hours... so not unexpected at all.

In my much smaller and somewhat quieter city we had a robbery at a walk-up ATM right next to the drive-thru teller windows just before noon on a weekday.
    Shots were fired at a bank employee who came out to assist the victim as the perp ran away.

A couple years ago a guy mugged an elderly lady and assaulted a good samaritan in the parking lot of a large grocery store.
    He'd been staking out the ATM inside the store for a victim.

Yea, it's a pretty common deal at the drive-up and walk-up ATM's in the less travelled parts of town and even happens occasionally at what would normally be considered "safe" ATM locations.
    Well that's no good. I understand your concern now--and your tactics seem sound but it is pretty miserable to have to worry about that. The only thing I really worry about is getting gas after dark, which sometimes has led to people coming around asking for money in a pretty threatening manner.

User Tag List