Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any semi's going full auto experiences?

Any semi's going full auto experiences?

I have seen videos of semi auto rifles going full auto, old news. My indoor gun range owning friend just told me he has now seen two Kimbers go full auto at his range. (Full disclosure, not picking on Kimbers, I own one and it runs like a champ). I am interested in how often anyone else has seen or experienced their semi auto pistol going to full run.......
    Last edited by oakdalecurtis; 01-16-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Not a pistol but I saw an SKS go full auto. The shooter had it together enough to keep it down range. I've seen some doubles but details escape me.

I was nearby when one went full auto back in the mid 1980's. It was a Colt (because that's all we had back then) with a trigger job. I guess at the time, there was a loading procedure where you locked the slide back and held the trigger back when you dropped the slide. The shooter next to me did that and the pistol went full auto and swept his weak hand when it went off. Missed all the bones but tore up his hand. I think he recovered completely. I think that was supposed to protect the trigger job or something. The disconnector was supposed to prevent the pistol from firing I guess. I never did it.

Way back in '88 when I was learning to fit parts, I made a colt government go full auto. 17 year old me thought that was the coolest thing ever. I keep it that way for a while to show off to friends.

I bought a pair of Colt 1911s at an estate sale several years ago. Both mfg. in 1918, one early and one late, a "black army" model. The late one is as original, the early one looks to have been armory rebuilt along the way.
    I took the early one to the range to check function with some ammo that I acquired with the guns. The gun functioned fine except it didn't stop functioning until it was empty. Went full auto for the whole magazine. A fellow down the bay from me looks over and says " wow, cool , what is that?" To which I replied "and old gun in need of new springs". The firing pin spring was like mush. No "spring" at all.
    Taught me a lesson. At least check for parts wear on the old ones.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Yes. And I've always traced it back to a dirty firing pin channel and/or weak firing pin spring.

In the case of 1911s it can be an out of spec and/or poorly fitted disconnector and/or firing pin spring.

I've fired an (unintentionally) full-auto Makarov before.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Seen it happen with a Kimber 1911 multiple times. This was a friends gun/s. After the cause was discovered I remember hearing that there is something unique about a Kimber that makes installing an aftermarket trigger problematic. Something with the trigger bow width rings a bell.

I also have seen one or two Gucci Glocks with dangerous cruiciform to striker engagement that had a propensity send more than one round per trigger depression. One was direct from a fancy pants upgrade house and the other was kitchen table gunsmith special.

When you buy replacement springs from Wolff for a 1911 I think they automatically include a firing pin spring, just because.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    When you buy replacement springs from Wolff for a 1911 I think they automatically include a firing pin spring, just because.
    That is mostly to retain the best possible drop safety (on the muzzle) of a Series 70 style firing mechanism.

User Tag List