View Poll Results: Change platforms for a dot?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Trust the tech

20 42.55%
  • No. Irons all the way

27 57.45%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Change platforms for red dot. Yes/no

Change platforms for red dot. Yes/no

Would you adopt or switch platforms to a pistol that you don’t like simply because it is more readily equipped for a red dot than your current/preferred handgun

Is the dot that much an advantage now that it has aged a few years?

At one time I had 6 RMR guns of diffent makes.

I will say my personal use of these 6 at that time mostly was favorable. I did not find the concept to be as bombproof nor reliable as it was preached by those who marketed them

I went to a pair of glocks so I could "affordably" run the RMR. I'd rather have combined the money and got one installed on a 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Would you adopt or switch platforms to a pistol that you don’t like simply because it is more readily equipped for a red dot than your current/preferred handgun

I will say my personal use of these 6 at that time mostly was favorable. I did not find the concept to be as bombproof nor reliable as it was preached by those who marketed them
    I Want very much to dabble in PMOs, but I'd rather take a gun I already have and shoot well and have it milled or otherwise adapted to fit a red dot than to change platforms to make swapping red dots easier. I'm concerned about the dearth of "buy once, cry once" options in PMO market right this second, so I'll keep my eyes on the market and see if something great isn't here by the end of 2019.

I’m getting bogged down in the language of the question. I know that’s a me problem, but the only reason I don’t like a pistol is because it doesn’t fit my hand, and therefore don’t shoot it well.

Moreover, though more expensive than buying pre-milled, you can get just about any pistol milled now, so why not keep the one you like, just spend the cash and have it milled. Right?

Aside from that, this is about you, and if you didn’t find the system reliable, on a carry gun, I’d say heck no! As for me, i’m seriously thinking of adopting the red dot system, but i’ll have the weapons I like milled if I do.

I voted no, but not "for irons" or "against tech/red dots", but because I think switching without necessity is a poor idea. If you require the use of a dot for things like vision issues or use with NVD, then by all means, switch. But, switching from a gun you like and shoot well to a gun you don't like (and potentially shoot worse) for the sake of playing with a red dot, seems frivolous to me.

I answered "no" but the real answer is "it depends on why I don't like the other platform". If it doesn't fit my hand or is harder for me to shoot at the same level than what I already have, then no I wouldn't. If it's just a matter of aesthetics or company ethics, etc then changing would be a definite maybe IF I had long term access to a similar setup so I could be sure it really was an improvement for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    Moreover, though more expensive than buying pre-milled, you can get just about any pistol milled now, so why not keep the one you like, just spend the cash and have it milled. Right?
    Because not everything can be milled. Beretta 92 series comes to mind and until recently, there wasn't an option to have the PX4 milled either.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

Because not everything can be milled. Beretta 92 series comes to mind and until recently, there wasn't an option to have the PX4 milled either.
    It’s funny, the 92 is exactly why I said you can “just about”... speaking in absolutes is always dangerous. That’s why I try not to unless I’m describing how I feel. Clearly not every gun can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Port View Post
    I’m getting bogged down in the language of the question. I know that’s a me problem, but the only reason I don’t like a pistol is because it doesn’t fit my hand, and therefore don’t shoot it well.

Aside from that, this is about you, and if you didn’t find the system reliable, on a carry gun, I’d say heck no! As for me, i’m seriously thinking of adopting the red dot system, but i’ll have the weapons I like milled if I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I answered "no" but the real answer is "it depends on why I don't like the other platform". If it doesn't fit my hand or is harder for me to shoot at the same level than what I already have, then no I wouldn't. If it's just a matter of aesthetics or company ethics, etc then changing would be a definite maybe IF I had long term access to a similar setup so I could be sure it really was an improvement for me.

Yes and yes.

I didn’t care to conjure the demons from the “it doesn’t fit my hand thread” but yes that why I don’t like them. Well - mostly. You can easily mill/mount RDS to a vp9/p320/M&p and I may shoot those well, but that puts us back to the fully cocked striker/ aiwb issue.

my brig tac and elite LTT can’t be milled really. Maybe my P30 can but those I’ve seen place the optic pretty tall In the saddle so to speak and don’t fully support the optic width at all
    Last edited by Duke; 01-15-2019 at 09:30 PM.

I think it depends.

1) if all you are interested in is self defense today, you are pretty satisfied with your current ability, and your eyes are decent, iron sights are still the reliable choice.

2) if you are interested in accelerating your technical shooting development, a red dot is a major help, even if you carry iron sights.

3) if you plan on doing this for a number of years, then a red dot surely is the future.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I voted no, but not "for irons" or "against tech/red dots", but because I think switching without necessity is a poor idea. If you require the use of a dot for things like vision issues or use with NVD, then by all means, switch. But, switching from a gun you like and shoot well to a gun you don't like (and potentially shoot worse) for the sake of playing with a red dot, seems frivolous to me.
    This ^^^.

Switching platforms will also introduce too many variables and give a distorted picture of how effective (or not) the RDS performs.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-15-2019 at 10:04 PM.

User Tag List