Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Beretta, I screwed up bad. Who can fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    So is the thread where we all post pictures of the stuff we've hosed up?
    May as well!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

PF.com aint got enuff bandwidth.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    You should see the pile of 1911 grip safeties I ruined back when I was learning to fit them to the trigger bow. I bet I ruined 3-4 of them before the light turned on. They aren't cheap either.

Stuff happens, and you learn from it.

Initially I was impressed by your ability to cock up the installation, then I was impressed by your ability to salvage it.

I've replaced the sights on four 92's and every one has been incredibly tight. I recently acquired an S&W 4566 that had XS Big Dots mounted. Those sights aren't my thing so I'm replacing them. I got connected with a shooter in possession of a set of factory original sights and we made a trade. The rear XS sight came off easy peasy. The front? Oh boy. I couldn't get the thing to budge at all, even with the biggest hammer I had. ( I'm also aware the sights on these 3rd Gens remove from left to right, opposite of most, before anyone asks.) Being afraid of breaking the sights tritium vile, I took it down to a local gunsmith and we finally got it off, by mounting the slide in a "big" vice and using a "big" hammer on it. None of his dozen or so sight pushers would fit the big slide on the 4566. XS sights come with a tube of red Loctite so I suspect that was the culprit. Honestly, I'm surprised we got it off without damage to the slide or the sight, but we did. I was relieved.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-16-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Had a bit of fun trying to remove a rear sight from a CZ subcompact a few years ago. Big hammer and various automotive punches weren't doing nothing.

Happily, having previously spent some money on professional help to salvage my amateur efforts on a High Standard a few years before that, I knew when it was time to quit while I was still ahead.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    FWIW: If you need to remove a dovetailed sight and don't care about saving it, just cut a slit down the middle of it with a dremel. Just don't go too deep and in to the slide. That will relieve the pressure and it'll tap out.
    Last edited by JV_; 01-16-2019 at 03:26 PM.

The slide finish on a HK45C can handle a Benzomatic propane torch for 30 seconds without discoloring.
    So i've heard.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Yep, that’s it! This is why Glock Neanderthals don’t deserve nice Italian pistols, lol!
    Standard Beretta slides were made with you in mind.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

A 49 at 5 yards is damn good on Dot Torture. I've only been able to clean it at 3 and 4, and never gone higher than 47 at 5 yards on a good day.

Yep, I've boogered of several sights. Of the 3 front sights I removed to install FO sights, I only have one that would still be usable. My install technique is to remove metal from the bottom of the sight. I have a couple pieces of sticky back sand paper stuck to an old counter top that sits on some cabinets in the basement. 320 and 150 grit. (Look for the ones that are about 4x5 inches. You can sometimes find a variety pack so you can get all the common grits in one purchase) I sit the sight on it and push it back and forth w/ thumb and finger. I remove enough metal so I can push the sight half way into the dovetail by hand. The worst are the Dawson FO sights. Not because they are bad or don't fit but because there is so little metal in the sight blade. So you have to put your punch against the edge of the dovetail base. Not real thick there and it's easy for the punch to slip upward and contact the blade. Ugh.

User Tag List