Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&K M1 Super 90

H&K M1 Super 90

Shotgun gurus,

I’m not a shotgun guy. I have a benelli Vinci that occasionally bust some clays. My buddy has this H&K and is asking $700. What say you?

The intent of this shotgun would be a bear gun (I live in Alaska) and possibly some three gun. It’s kind of cool being an H&K.

Has anyone cycled Brennekke KO’s or Black Magic’s through a H&K M1 Super 90?
    Aftermarket stuff...front sight looks fixed, I’d possibly need to shorten the LOP..?

Did the M1 Super 90 morph into a different Beretta design?

I appreciate everyone’s time.

Jeremy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I took one of those, less the pistol grip style stock, to Africa on a lion hunt, and it is now the beside the front door of the cabin for bear, shotgun in AK at our remote cabin. Loaded with Brenneke classic magnum slugs, it is poa/poi at 25 yards with those sights. Kicks a lot, but you probably knew that.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Did a Quick google search and found a thread here.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Shorter-stock

The Mesa Tactical Urbino stock has a 12.5" LOP, don't know if that's shorter than the stock you have but it sounds like it is.

With limbsaver
    https://www.mesatactical.com/product...-ga-black.html

Without Limbsaver
    https://www.mesatactical.com/product...-ga-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Hunted a lot of humans with one. Still one of my all time favorites. LOP is usually long for most and the Urbino seems to be the solution if that is the case. The do not like tons of crap hung on them nor light loads.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I took one of those, less the pistol grip style stock, to Africa on a lion hunt, and it is now the beside the front door of the cabin for bear, shotgun in AK at our remote cabin. Loaded with Brenneke classic magnum slugs, it is poa/poi at 25 yards with those sights. Kicks a lot, but you probably knew that.
    What kind (brand) of stock do you have on yours?

Thanks for the replies everyone, starting to answer my own questions after your replies and more internet searching.

Jeremy

I had one years ago. Mine displayed spotty reliability with all but full-power buckshot and 1600FPS slugs, especially after a Surefire fore-end was added. I found a load of birdshot (IIRC #4 Winchester) which would cycle about 95% of the time.

My gun had a factory pistol grip stock which was cut to 13" LOP. Were I doing it over again, I'd source a rifle-style stock and get it cut at or about that length of pull.

I have one that is not the HD shotgun; the HK-marked M1 Super 90 allows an additional shell to be floated between the carrier and the chamber. For that reason, they are sought out a bit more than other M1 Super 90 guns.

As noted by others, the stock is too long for most people (and definitely for me) and the gun seems to recoil more than a well-fit 870 as it is noticeable lighter. The recoil action parts extend into the stock.

I have shot mine enough that it cycles even with some lighter loads.

The M1 Super 90 was replaced by the M2.

I still have one, and had another. Both of mine would cycle anything. When I bought mine it was Benelli or 11-87, which was a no brainer. Today I'd probably lean 1301 over M2. Ask @GJM if there's a reason not to carry a 1301 for bear in AK.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    What kind (brand) of stock do you have on yours?

Thanks for the replies everyone, starting to answer my own questions after your replies and more internet searching.

Jeremy
    I have the OEM without the pistol grip. As Darryl says, longer than I prefer, but that is less of a problem with a semi than with a pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The M1 Super 90 was replaced by the M2.

I still have one, and had another. Both of mine would cycle anything. When I bought mine it was Benelli or 11-87, which was a no brainer. Today I'd probably lean 1301 over M2. Ask @GJM if there's a reason not to carry a 1301 for bear in AK.
    The reason I use a M2 is I prefer a 14 inch barrel.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have an HK marked M1 Super 90 with a standard stock that I bought between 1993-1995. It runs with low recoil buckshot without a problem. I don't have anything attached to it (lights, sidesaddle).

User Tag List