Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old New Item

Actually, kind of interested. I know folks talk smack about Rock Island Armory, but my experience with them has generally been positive.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    The test on durability will come from someone taking some high round count classes and/or successfully running it for a season of three gun. The biggest question that comes to mind on any of these designs is parts availability. If you can’t easily get replacement parts that is a non starter for me.

That's the one upside to this being an RIA product. Armscor/Rock Island generally has very good support here in the US. They effectively have three markets in total, the Philippines, United States, and Canada. And are pretty heavily invested in making sure competitors are supported. That's one reason I think this will be potentially a nice semi-auto box-fed shotgun.

Site Supporter
    Good to know, if RIA supports this with readily available small parts and it is reliable it may gain some foothold. Realistically to do this I think their best chance of that is to get it in the hands of 3 Gun Competitors and show it is reliable and durable. An appearance in a high profile movie or two wouldn’t hurt either.
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-19-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Being (mostly, I think) considerably older than a significant percentage of forum members (13 Presidents so far), I think that a presentation is enhanced when not wearing something that resembles pajama bottoms.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...-vr80-shotgun/

Site Supporter
    Gray01, I think they are going for the Wal-Mart demographic.

Are there any issues with leaving shotgun box magazines loaded for extended periods?

If these are reliable and could just be left loaded in the safe I could see it for a home defense shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post

Are there any issues with leaving shotgun box magazines loaded for extended periods?
    Good quality springs/magazine should not demonstrate any issues by being kept loaded; I have never witnessed that effect. In my understanding it is not simple spring compression that weakens/impacts spring performance; rather it is (as I have studied) compression/release cycles that eventually accumulates and contributes to spring strength loss.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Good quality springs/magazine should not demonstrate any issues by being kept loaded; I have never witnessed that effect. In my understanding it is not simple spring compression that weakens/impacts spring performance; rather it is (as I have studied) compression/release cycles that eventually accumulates and contributes to spring strength loss.
    Agreed, I worded my question poorly as my concern wasn’t with the springs. I’ll have to look for the reference but I thought I read something about shotgun shells deforming in box magazines or issues with feed lips but I can’t remember exactly what the issue was at the moment. It wasn’t a problem with magazines in general but specifically with detachable magazines for shotguns.

User Tag List