Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polar Vortex Split

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Depending on which forecast I read, Saturday night will bring either rain or 10+” of snow.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  62.2 KB

Here in NH, we're in the 2 - 3 foot range.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Here in NH, we're in the 2 - 3 foot range.
    It's supposed to be wicked cold. I just dumped an extra bottle of fuel conditioner into the heating oil tank. (I put a bottle in every time it's filled.)

Last year, during a cold snap, the oil in the tank began to jell. That was not fun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

It's supposed to be wicked cold. I just dumped an extra bottle of fuel conditioner into the heating oil tank. (I put a bottle in every time it's filled.)

Last year, during a cold snap, the oil in the tank began to jell. That was not fun.
    Tank outside? A few gallons of kerosene will do the job too.

Well, depending on which forecast I read - we're now getting somewhere between 0 and 1" of snow starting this evening, then a break tomorrow during the day, with between 1" and 12" of snow falling between Friday evening and Sunday morning. But now the predicted temperatures are higher than before, with highs in the low-to-mid 20s and lows in the 10s.

So at this point, I'm expecting either virtually no snow at all or about 2.5 feet of it with white-out conditions.

Anytime the weather idiots predict between 1" and 12" of snow they're basically saying, "At this point, it could blow right on by and hit Ohio or it could stall out over the lake and trap us all in Superman's Fortress of Solitude."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Tank outside? A few gallons of kerosene will do the job too.
    Outside. There was an indoor tank, decades ago, but it rotted out. A quart of conditioner is a lot easier to boost to head-height than is a can of a few gallons of kerosene.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Outside. There was an indoor tank, decades ago, but it rotted out. A quart of conditioner is a lot easier to boost to head-height than is a can of a few gallons of kerosene.
    I worked in the fuel oil industry for quite a while. Outside tanks suck in cold climates.

The gelling occurs in the copper line(s) from the tank to the burner. You can purchase heat wrap tape that is rated for outdoor and cover with foam pipe insulation use to keep those lines from gelling. If the boneheads installed the filter to the tank, have them move it to the burner.

Also, keep the tank full in the summer to prevent condensation from forming inside the tank, which will settle to the bottom and rot the steel tank.

Good luck this weekend!

69 for the high 52 for the low. Arizona winter 🥶
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 01-17-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    69 for the high 52 for the low. Arizona winter 🥶
    Pretty much the same here in SoCal, ‘cept people are acting like dumbasses because of the rain.

Site Supporter
    From the department of redundancy department...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Not going to break freezing out here in Denver, but supposedly we'll get some snow. I will never understand the weather in the mountain west.
    Is that a complaint?

Maybe we should throw in a hurricane every so often to make you feel at home

As long as this storm brings lots of moisture. The local ski area has received 11" of snow in the last 48 hours and is expected to receive another 12-24 before it's over. We could use another 200 inches before the season is over.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List