View Poll Results: Change platforms for a dot?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Trust the tech

20 42.55%
  • No. Irons all the way

27 57.45%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Change platforms for red dot. Yes/no

Perhaps there's a middle ground here. If one is looking to have a dot JUST for the trigger control training, etc why not use one of the dovetail mounts and mount it on a spare slide instead of jumping to a whole new platorm? Doesn't even have to be a complete top end, just swap over the barrel and recoil system from your carry or training piece and swap them back when you're done training.
    Last edited by awp_101; 01-16-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Perhaps there's a middle ground here. If one is looking to have a dot JUST for the trigger control training, etc why not use one of the dovetail mounts and mount it on a spare slide instead of jumping to a whole new platorm? Doesn't even have to be a complete top end, just swap over the barrel and recoil system from your carry or training piece and swap them back when you're done training.
    Good suggestion. EGW, as an example, makes a number of dovetail mounts for pistols, including the HK P30/VP9.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good suggestion. EGW, as an example, makes a number of dovetail mounts for pistols, including the HK P30/VP9.
    Do you have any actual experience with these, or know anyone who does? Is this mounting solution harder on optics? Any problem with wandering zero?

Considering it for a P-09 or P30.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Do you have any actual experience with these, or know anyone who does? Is this mounting solution harder on optics? Any problem with wandering zero?

Considering it for a P-09 or P30.
    Brian Nelson from TPC uses a dovetail mount with a DP Pro in CO competition. Think it is made by Henning. He thinks it is secure. I have had NO issues with a wandering zero with the DP Pro. The failure mode is loss of the dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Brian Nelson from TPC uses a dovetail mount with a DP Pro in CO competition. Think it is made by Henning. He thinks it is secure. I have had NO issues with a wandering zero with the DP Pro. The failure mode is loss of the dot.
    Thanks. I just ordered one.
    David S.

Even if the technology was better, I wouldn't entertain the notion of using it for personal defense. My vision has gone to the dogs, but I have absolutely no illusions that a RDS is going to positively leverage the outcome of anything meaningful I'm likely to do with a carry gun.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 01-19-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Even with all the qualifiers for red dots (evolving, reliability issues, costs, bulk, etc), for myself, yes, I'd adapt my platform. Probably not change, but certainly adapt my preferred pistol. At my age and with my poor vision, I can shoot immensely better groups, perhaps a bit slower in close but considerably faster at distances, with the dot than with irons. Primarily, I shoot a dot-equipped gun with much greater confidence in making good hits. Not a one-size-fits-all solution by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post

All of that said, the training benefits of a red dot are big enough to set aside some ammo budget and acquire a gun with a dot. A laser can achieve similar results, but you can use the dot as a trigger and visual coach at any distance.

I was going to ask if this really was considered to be good advice or worth it. But, WOW, after looking into EGW, I could easily see myself getting into a super cheap red dot set up just for dry work and light range use/training. I already have a complete p07 slide mostly collecting dust since putting the kadet kit on. That might make one nifty trigger coaching package (22LR slide + red dot slide) to haul to the range to learn from.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

That’s what I have in mind. I’ll mill the slide for a defensive gun
    David S.

I voted yes, but fully concur with GJM's comments:

I think it depends.

1) if all you are interested in is self defense today, you are pretty satisfied with your current ability, and your eyes are decent, iron sights are still the reliable choice.

2) if you are interested in accelerating your technical shooting development, a red dot is a major help, even if you carry iron sights.

3) if you plan on doing this for a number of years, then a red dot surely is the future.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 01-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List