Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amazon employees spying on Ring doorbells? Say it ain't so!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Arlo.

No monthly subscription plan, unless you want to preserve a certain amount of footage. You can log-in with an app on the phone/ipad, no monitoring service. You can also have alerts sent to your phone or email - for instance, "Camera 1 and 3 went off within 45 seconds of each other." or "Camera 1 went off twice in a 90 second period), etc.

I installed five of them at my parents house last winter and they work well. They do suck down batteries, so get the rechargeable CR123s. There is a specific brand (Tenergy I think) that are "Arlo Approved" and they do work well. I bought my parents six sets of those and no problems. Really the cameras won't run too much unless you have a lot of activity. You can adjust motion sensitivity, initially we had it to high and tree branches were setting the cameras off. If you setup a geofence you can have them detect from your wireless device when you're around and it will selectively turn cameras on or off to your settings (my parents don't actually use this feature, but it's a nice option).

I found the cameras easy to mount, they offer an excellent field of view, and good footage quality. I think in all five cameras + rechargeable batteries set me back about 5-600 bucks (I got a 3 camera setup on Amazon Prime Day for $299 + the extra two Cameras at 50 bucks each and batteries were about 100 bucks, IIRC).
    Revolver Rob you are the man! Thank you very much for taking the time for the in depth response.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 01-16-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    For Christmas we picked up a new laptop. I created user profiles for my wife and I under our separate mail accounts. Wife was browsing the net for accommodations to celebrate an upcoming event. Powered off the laptop and picked up her cell to check Facebook. What pops up in her feed, an add for the accomadations being looked at. The only link I can think of was the the use of gmail between her new user profile, and Facebook tagging using her name / face. Her gmail is not linked to FB. This took less than 5 minutes and was rather surprising to her. On a side note, some 20 years ago we (family, friends, neighbors) were fighting the USFWS, EPA, and assorted other government entities to stop a massive land grab totaling 50,000 acres. The joke was to be mindful of what was said on the phone, because "they" were listening. 20 years ago that was whackadoodle talk, but now it's common knowledge. Should be interesting what revelations are brought to light in the next 20 years.
    If your wife had already logged into FB and the links/pages she was visiting had the little FB/IG tags on the bottom of the page, that is also data mining and providing targeted advertisement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I've got 5 Arlo cameras and two of the basestation things that I'll send to anyone that wants them -- if they coverage postage and shipping supplies.
    I'll take them if nobody else has jumped on this.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Works for me. PM me your mailing info and I'll send them out the week after SHOT (I've got too much going on to get it all together before then).
    Done, thanks!

Chris

User Tag List