Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon employees spying on Ring doorbells? Say it ain't so!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Siri is turned off on all the devices in the house. We have a dumb Roku and a dumb TV.

I have an innate distrust of anything that is voice/motion activated and is connected to the internet. I generally prefer closed circuit systems for cameras, but admit that Arlos with a Cloud connection are useful for checking from home. But only on the exterior of the house, no interior stuff. And no microphones with those devices.
    Me also. No cameras inside my house that aren't covered. I even keep a post-it note over the web cam in my laptop. Even when it's powered off.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

No Siri, Alexa, cloud based cameras, or anything that's "listening" inside our home. People who use that stuff are misplacing their trust, IMO. Closed circuit cameras only inside. Outside is different, so I can monitor while away. I have one of my daughters "Mike" from Monsters Inc sticker over my laptop camera (an eye covering an eye, I like the irony), have had it there for years. Can't do anything about my iPhone camera (use it too much), or the microphones in our phones/laptops, but I wish I could.

I'm perfectly capable of running my house, looking up the weather or directions, and turning on my own music.

What would you recommend for wireless outdoor security cameras that one can monitor on an iPhone and that would alert you when something is picked up by the camera, without a monitoring service or monthly subscription plan? Is there such a product?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Siri, Alexa, Google Home... all spy on you. I’m not understanding why that comes as a shock to anyone these days. Maybe a decade ago when folks don’t read the user agreements, but after so many “revelations” about how various entities use your data to “enhance” your user experience I’d say anyone who thinks they have any semblance of privacy is naive at best. The above applies for all those awesome IOT devices we sprinkle around our homes. I mean didn’t some entity have their network penetrated when they installed smart bulbs to help save electricity?

All those items that we put in for “safety” come with compromises. Cameras that record all the time and you can check on your laundry, kids... via a cool app... all that is network traffic routed to you. Think of how many servers it bounces through and consider just how “safe” it actually is. Isn’t anything you post on the Internet considered a Post Card that can be seen by anyone. Why would any of these bits of data be any different.

Compromise: Is the convenience or perceived safety worth the snooping?
    This. A thousand times this.

I work with companies that use this kind of data. What they gather is astonishing. I absolutely refuse to have a "smart" device in my home.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I don't have any "smart" devices except an android cell phone. And my cell phone has most of the app permissions locked down tight. So I've always been mystified when I speak about something, and then get ads for that same item.

At a social event recently, an internet marketing worker confirmed to me that smart phones listen and pick up key words. And they also monitor text messages and pick up key words. That info is used for targeted advertising.

It sounds like tinfoil hat stuff, but it's true. Orwell would never have believed we'd all voluntarily buy surveillence devices and carry them everywhere.

For Christmas we picked up a new laptop. I created user profiles for my wife and I under our separate mail accounts. Wife was browsing the net for accommodations to celebrate an upcoming event. Powered off the laptop and picked up her cell to check Facebook. What pops up in her feed, an add for the accomadations being looked at. The only link I can think of was the the use of gmail between her new user profile, and Facebook tagging using her name / face. Her gmail is not linked to FB. This took less than 5 minutes and was rather surprising to her. On a side note, some 20 years ago we (family, friends, neighbors) were fighting the USFWS, EPA, and assorted other government entities to stop a massive land grab totaling 50,000 acres. The joke was to be mindful of what was said on the phone, because "they" were listening. 20 years ago that was whackadoodle talk, but now it's common knowledge. Should be interesting what revelations are brought to light in the next 20 years.
    Taking a break from social media.

@CCT125US If you're using the Google search engine, then you're being tracked extensively. If you haven't switched already, then give DuckDuckGo a try. They (allegedly) do not track or store your personal information. I learned about it here on PF some time ago, and have been using it ever since. I have noticed a huge difference in my ad targeting, so I know they're not tracking me like Google did.

The search results aren't nearly as expansive as Google, but it's nothing I haven't been able to live with, and well worth the price of admission. I've refined my searching skills over the years, and find what I'm after fairly easily on DuckDuckGo.

@StraitR I will definately give that a try. I use Google extensively for work / travel. The routing and street view is very helpful to me. It's a love hate relationship.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @StraitR I will definately give that a try. I use Google extensively for work / travel. The routing and street view is very helpful to me. It's a love hate relationship.

Totally get it. No maps on DDG, unfortunately. I try to use my iPhone/macbook maps app, but nothing totally supplants Google for maps. I guess all that captured data works heavily in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    What would you recommend for wireless outdoor security cameras that one can monitor on an iPhone and that would alert you when something is picked up by the camera, without a monitoring service or monthly subscription plan? Is there such a product?
    Arlo.

No monthly subscription plan, unless you want to preserve a certain amount of footage. You can log-in with an app on the phone/ipad, no monitoring service. You can also have alerts sent to your phone or email - for instance, "Camera 1 and 3 went off within 45 seconds of each other." or "Camera 1 went off twice in a 90 second period), etc.

I installed five of them at my parents house last winter and they work well. They do suck down batteries, so get the rechargeable CR123s. There is a specific brand (Tenergy I think) that are "Arlo Approved" and they do work well. I bought my parents six sets of those and no problems. Really the cameras won't run too much unless you have a lot of activity. You can adjust motion sensitivity, initially we had it to high and tree branches were setting the cameras off. If you setup a geofence you can have them detect from your wireless device when you're around and it will selectively turn cameras on or off to your settings (my parents don't actually use this feature, but it's a nice option).

I found the cameras easy to mount, they offer an excellent field of view, and good footage quality. I think in all five cameras + rechargeable batteries set me back about 5-600 bucks (I got a 3 camera setup on Amazon Prime Day for $299 + the extra two Cameras at 50 bucks each and batteries were about 100 bucks, IIRC).

User Tag List