Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon employees spying on Ring doorbells? Say it ain't so!

Site Supporter

Amazon employees spying on Ring doorbells? Say it ain't so!

I am Jack's lack of surprise.

amazon-ring-security-camera TheIntercept article

Makes me sad, because a Ring has kept us from breaking down a lady's door multiple times-and enabled us to talk to her family (elsewhere) right through the Ring.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I am Jack's lack of surprise.

amazon-ring-security-camera TheIntercept article

Makes me sad, because a Ring has kept us from breaking down a lady's door multiple times-and enabled us to talk to her family (elsewhere) right through the Ring.
    Just read an article about how all of the digital assistants (Siri, etc.) record all the sounds in your house, and store them so the algos can analyze your speech patterns to better understand your commands. You can request a copy from Amazon or whoever. Someone in Germany did just that, bur they sent them the wrong one, so they got to listen to someone else's house. Whoops.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Just read an article about how all of the digital assistants (Siri, etc.) record all the sounds in your house,
    But they don't all work the same. Some upload it to "the cloud" and some store them locally. The latter is a much better solution.

Site Supporter
    Traditionally, Apple stores far more of sensitive things on the phone than Andriod, but I may have jumped the gun a bit. Apple is only looking at it: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18...y-on-an-iphone

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Which ones do local storage?
    Name:  bigear.gif
Views: 569
Size:  176 Bytes
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Name:  bigear.gif
Views: 569
Size:  176 Bytes
    Ross Perot is interested?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Amazon employees spying on Ring doorbells? Say it ain't so!

Siri, Alexa, Google Home... all spy on you. I’m not understanding why that comes as a shock to anyone these days. Maybe a decade ago when folks don’t read the user agreements, but after so many “revelations” about how various entities use your data to “enhance” your user experience I’d say anyone who thinks they have any semblance of privacy is naive at best. The above applies for all those awesome IOT devices we sprinkle around our homes. I mean didn’t some entity have their network penetrated when they installed smart bulbs to help save electricity?

All those items that we put in for “safety” come with compromises. Cameras that record all the time and you can check on your laundry, kids... via a cool app... all that is network traffic routed to you. Think of how many servers it bounces through and consider just how “safe” it actually is. Isn’t anything you post on the Internet considered a Post Card that can be seen by anyone. Why would any of these bits of data be any different.

Compromise: Is the convenience or perceived safety worth the snooping?
    Last edited by TAZ; 01-15-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Compromise: Is the convenience or perceived safety worth the snooping?

Name:  lana_nope.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  35.8 KB

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Name:  lana_nope.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  35.8 KB
    I have Siri set to respond to, “Hey Siri,” and I can mention something in conversation and then get ads for it.

I bet I get Apple ads after posting this.

Siri is turned off on all the devices in the house. We have a dumb Roku and a dumb TV.

I have an innate distrust of anything that is voice/motion activated and is connected to the internet. I generally prefer closed circuit systems for cameras, but admit that Arlos with a Cloud connection are useful for checking from home. But only on the exterior of the house, no interior stuff. And no microphones with those devices.

I do not trust smart thermostats, smart bulbs, smart TVs, etc. I don't even like smart dogs or women*. The dumber everyone and everything is, the better. You know what's never spied on you? A book.

*I'm kidding folks.

User Tag List