Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Ear Pro Sound Quality?

Electronic Ear Pro Sound Quality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDWvW6iGWWE

I have several different brands of electronic ear protection. I have been using Pro Ears Gold for several years. They sound like the Pro Ears in the video. I like them but they are very bulky and I can't use the ones I have with long guns.

I have 3 sets of the Howard Leight Impact Sports that I use for loaners. I don't like the way the sound is cut off when shots are fired. They sound like the second example in the video.

I recently got a set of MSA Supreme Pro X. They seem to shut off the sound when shots are fired just like the HL's. They also sound to me like the second example in the video. They even change the sound of my timer. I don't like that. Do I have a set of defective MSA's or is that the way they work.

I am continuing to use the Pro Ears for handgun. I'm looking for a solution for long gun that will allow me to hear better than ear plugs.

For those of you who have used the different types, what are your thoughts?

The highest quality set I've used is Peltor Comtac III with the gel inserts. I was issued those though, and they would be out of my (most people's?) price range to buy on your own dime. I use a set of Peltor Tactical Sport 100's for competition training and matches now and have been really happy with the sound quality. It doesn't have the pronounced sound cut off that Howard Leights have. I also put the gel inserts on the TS 100's and it makes them extremely comfortable.

They make slimmer profile Pro Ears that work with long guns.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/pro-ea...gaAqm6EALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    They make slimmer profile Pro Ears that work with long guns.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/pro-ea...gaAqm6EALw_wcB
    Yeah, I wish now I had gotten them instead, but everybody on here was bragging on the MSA's.

I have the Peltor ones with gel earpieces like Gio and the MSA ones people on PF like. Overall, I prefer the Peltors for comfort, but I find the sound quality is significantly better with the Sordins. Enough better, my wife will only use the Sordins shooting Steel Challenge.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had many pairs of electronic ear pro.
    Howard Leight Impact Sport, Walkers Game Ear Quad, Pro Ears Gold & MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X.
    They never seemed to reduce the sound the way I would of liked.
    I must admit the MSA Sordins Supreme Pro X were the most comfortable I have ever worn.
    I bought a pair of Pelter Sports 500. I liked them so much I bought a second pair as a spare.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4m0pCCDhZo
    The only problem is the headband, it will irritate your head.
    You need to buy a head wrap for them which did the trick.
    https://www.originalsoegear.com/prod...-headband-wrap
    Hope this helps.

I have both an issued pair and a personal pair of Comtac IIs. I’ve always been pleased with them and they’ve been problem free for 10+ years. I’ve only ever replaced the batteries and the gel seals (and a down lead that got munched in a car door). But recently I thought I’d give a pair of the Sordins (Supreme Pro X) a try. They’re similarly comfortable (with the gel seals) and seem very well made but I’ve also noticed a bit more of a “tinny” sound characteristic, for lack of a better term. I don’t notice it at all with the Peltors.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I have both an issued pair and a personal pair of Comtac IIs. I’ve always been pleased with them and they’ve been problem free for 10+ years. I’ve only ever replaced the batteries and the gel seals (and a down lead that got munched in a car door). But recently I thought I’d give a pair of the Sordins (Supreme Pro X) a try. They’re similarly comfortable (with the gel seals) and seem very well made but I’ve also noticed a bit more of a “tinny” sound characteristic, for lack of a better term. I don’t notice it at all with the Peltors.
    Tinny is fair. However, for shooting Steel Challenge, where you are also listening as confirmation for your visual shot calling, and there is shooting going on in adjacent bays, it is much easier to hear steel hits with the Sordins.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Tinny is fair. However, for shooting Steel Challenge, where you are also listening as confirmation for your visual shot calling, and there is shooting going on in adjacent bays, it is much easier to hear steel hits with the Sordins.

Intersting. I've never noticed any diminished capability with the Peltors. And I think the tone is more similar to my natural hearing with them too, which I think I tend to like better. But I guess I'll have to give the Sordins a closer listen.

BTW, troll accepted... Shouldn't you be two plates on down the array by the time you hear the steel ding? If you're waiting for the noise, you're doing it wrong, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Intersting. I've never noticed any diminished capability with the Peltors. And I think the tone is more similar to my natural hearing with them too, which I think I tend to like better. But I guess I'll have to give the Sordins a closer listen.

BTW, troll accepted... Shouldn't you be two plates on down the array by the time you hear the steel ding? If you're waiting for the noise, you're doing it wrong, as they say.
    You probably are two plates further on in Steel Challenge by the time of the ding or lack of ding, but then you know you need to make that one up before the stop plate. On some stages, like Smoke and Hope, things are happening so quickly visually that the ding is important confirmation.

It was actually my wife that figured this out as she was complaining she couldn’t hear the hits with her Peltors at a SC match, borrowed the Sordins I had on and said it was night and day different. That cost me a set of Sordins.

An important consideration for you is I think the Peltors look better and I know your rule one is to look good.

User Tag List