Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus G2C -- pleasantly surprised

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

I guess the OP has way more time, money and patience than I do because from my from my view I see zero reason for fucking with a Taurus.
    Ahh... Pretty much just boredom with pistol and rifle shooting these days. Screwing around with some less expensive firearms seems interesting at the moment. Gonna take a look at the new Mossberg pistol at some point as well.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Our Tam did run a flawless 2k test of an old Ruger P-89.

I like seeing the cheap guns getting a run through the 2k wringer. Let's see if they can do the full monty.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Posts like this are more interesting to me than someone letting us know their V9, Glock 19, M&P etc. made it through a 2K round test.

Not because Taurus is a serious option , but it’s something different. If I had plenty of money, I would do reviews of all the low end budget pistols I could find. It would be more of a fun thing vs a serious thing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The last seven Taurus revolvers and two semi auto pistols I've personally seen were unserviceable right out of the box. As in wouldn't even dry fire, etc. Years ago Taurus was a decent choice, but their QC took a dive about ten years ago.

A friend bought one of these, her's lost the rear sight in under 200 rounds through the gun. Weird malfs, etc.

Hard pass.

Wow, that’s uninspiring even for Taurus. What kind of issues did you witness?
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-15-2019 at 04:44 PM.

To state that anything from Taurus would have problems gaining any traction whatsoever from this forum is probably the understatement of 2019 (so far). I'd trust a SIG P320 before a Taurus, and I've banned the P320s from duty use...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Our Tam did run a flawless 2k test of an old Ruger P-89.

I like seeing the cheap guns getting a run through the 2k wringer. Let's see if they can do the full monty.
    As I've yammered/blogged about about before on p-f, the venerable P89 is actually a quite good pistol in its own right. Tam was a bit more critical about its ergos than I am, but her end results speak volumes, and concur with mine. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....onal-Ruger-P89

If you can find a P89 in semi-decent shape (and they seem to come in about 2 varieties for resale: Quite nice and seemingly dragged behind Bubba's pick-em-up on a gravel road), I'd jump on it if you want a quality DA/SA.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-15-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Overall, this seems a solid little budget pistol and my initial experience with it was quite positive.

I think I'm going to buy one and run it through the 2000 round gauntlet and see whether it comes out the other side fit for duty. When anyone asks me about a new budget pistol, I usually point to the S&W SV9E, which is a solid pistol (though a little larger) and hard to beat for the price. The G2C is a very nice carry size.

There is also a single stack model, the G2S, which I've not seen up close. It's currently selling for $191 at Buds.
    I have to ask what the point is of a 2000 round test. Assuming for the moment the pistol made it to even 1500 rounds intact, all you’ve proven is that exact gun worked OK. With Taurus’ QC,reliability will be a case by case basis. Whether your example passes or fails doesn’t change the fact Taurus products are options of last resort, and in the case of their revolvers not even then.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I have to ask what the point is of a 2000 round test. Assuming for the moment the pistol made it to even 1500 rounds intact, all you’ve proven is that exact gun worked OK. With Taurus’ QC, reliability will be a case by case basis. Whether your example passes or fails doesn’t change the fact Taurus products are options of last resort, and in the case of their revolvers not even then.
    You do have a point.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    You do have a point.
    If you can afford it, shooting the crap out of crap guns is a worthy research goal. The usual rejoinder of the fans of the derp tier to criticism is that one is just a gun snob.
    Having actual honest scientific data from a 2k test to show them wrong is a good thing.

But on the gripping hand, most fans of derpy gear aren't ever really convinced by things like "data".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    If you can afford it, shooting the crap out of crap guns is a worthy research goal. The usual rejoinder of the fans of the derp tier to criticism is that one is just a gun snob.
    Having actual honest scientific data from a 2k test to show them wrong is a good thing.

But on the gripping hand, most fans of derpy gear aren't ever really convinced by things like "data".
    Props on "gripping hand"

I know too many people at work enamored with SCCYs and Taurus and other low-end pistols. Yeah, I had a Taurus once; I bought it because I had little money (fresh out of college, no shooting background beyond BB guns) and really didn't know any better at the time. And torture-testing some would be fun too, if I had unlimited funds.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

User Tag List