Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus G2C -- pleasantly surprised

Taurus G2C -- pleasantly surprised

Had the opportunity to shoot one of these a good bit last night. It was actually quite fun to shoot. I haven't kept up to date with Taurus releases, so I didn't know this one existed. I put, roughly, 300 AE 147's, and 50 HST 147's down range.

First impressions Cons:

1) More a flaw in my vision but worth mentioning: front sight was extremely difficult for me to pick up. It's a white dot, but just small and seemed faint. I found myself having to raise my nose to focus the progressives in on it at first. I have no idea about after market sight availability. Rear sight is adjustable. This became less of a hassle after the first couple of mags but I never was able to pick up the sight well. The 147's were a 6:00 hold, and printed a slightly above post at 7 and 15yds.

2) It has a looooong take up on the trigger and a somewhat spongy break, reminiscent of a rolling break but not quite. Reset is tactile and ok. I got used to it fairly quickly and was having zero problems with the groups after the first mag.

3) It's a Taurus budget pistol. Seemed solid, and functioned flawlessly for me, but I have no idea of the overall build quality.

4) slide mounted manual safety, but it didn't get in the way at any time so it can simply be ignored.

Pros:

1) ergos are good and it points naturally.

2) the striker cocks on reset which enables a second strike on a misfire a la double action hammer.

3) the trigger is quite smooth and isn't heavy at all - I didn't have a gauge, but it felt slightly lighter than the Glock -- my wag is about 5 lbs. (this one was beyond any break-in period already having a couple thousand rounds through it)

4) decent grip texture.

5) 12 +1 capacity (comes with two mags) -- overall about the size of a G26 with mag extension

6) Bud's 'cash' price $212 for black, $214 black/FDE, $234 SS/gray

Overall, this seems a solid little budget pistol and my initial experience with it was quite positive.

I think I'm going to buy one and run it through the 2000 round gauntlet and see whether it comes out the other side fit for duty. When anyone asks me about a new budget pistol, I usually point to the S&W SV9E, which is a solid pistol (though a little larger) and hard to beat for the price. The G2C is a very nice carry size.

There is also a single stack model, the G2S, which I've not seen up close. It's currently selling for $191 at Buds.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

While a Taurus wouldn’t be my first choice of pistol, it’s a lot better then nothing. In a day and age of $600 duty pistols and $400 CCW permits , there’s a need for a budget pistol.

350 rounds might be the new record for "most rounds fired through a Taurus Millennium"

4) **slide mounted manual safety, but it didn't get in the way at any time so it can simply be ignored.
    **Correction... the manual safety is NOT 'slide mounted.' It's on the frame just behind the slide stop. It's also very tactile, easily operated similarly to a 1911, and snaps firmly on or off.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

My brother has one. Got a chance to shoot it over Christmas. I will admit it was a pleasant surprise. I was able to hit well with it, ran reliably for about 200 rounds if mixed on sale ammo abs ergonomic were good for a subcompact. I’ve been toying with buying one as a “car gun”, coupled with a lock box of sorts. $219 at Academy makes it pretty tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    While a Taurus wouldn’t be my first choice of pistol, it’s a lot better then nothing. In a day and age of $600 duty pistols and $400 CCW permits , there’s a need for a budget pistol.
    In a day and age of $250 M&P Shields, $390 M&P 2.0s and $260 Ruger LC9s I'd say there are already budget pistols from companies with a near infinitely better track record.

I guess the OP has way more time, money and patience than I do because from my from my view I see zero reason for fucking with a Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    350 rounds might be the new record for "most rounds fired through a Taurus Millennium"
    I had over 1000 rounds through mine before I sold it. No issues.

Now I buy better guns.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

The last seven Taurus revolvers and two semi auto pistols I've personally seen were unserviceable right out of the box. As in wouldn't even dry fire, etc. Years ago Taurus was a decent choice, but their QC took a dive about ten years ago.

A friend bought one of these, her's lost the rear sight in under 200 rounds through the gun. Weird malfs, etc.

Hard pass.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    In a day and age of $250 M&P Shields, $390 M&P 2.0s and $260 Ruger LC9s I'd say there are already budget pistols from companies with a near infinitely better track record.

I guess the OP has way more time, money and patience than I do because from my from my view I see zero reason for fucking with a Taurus.
    This x1,000.

Also, police duty weapon trade ins are cheap. There is literally no reason for me to buy a Taurus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Not to be the guy that simply restates a portion of the OP or completely changes the subject (that guy is a douche), but [douche]the SD9 series of pistols continue to be my favorite budget-friendly pistol option.[/douche] They are routinely available for under (sometimes significantly under) $250.
    This ^^^ - there is a place for a budget pistol and the SD9 is my recommendation for a budget pistol.

User Tag List