Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaking of Crime....

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    We recently had a young Soldier's Citibank Gov't Travel Card get compromised. The Soldier received the card in the mail, left it in the envelope and kept it safe in his house. About three weeks later, our Bn S3 folks are getting notifications about that Soldier's GTC being used at unauthorized establishments and the charges being denied.
    We contact the Soldier, and sure enough he brings in the GTC still in the sealed envelope from Citibank, never activated.

Best we can figure is that it was some asshole with an RFID/reader/scanner of some kind that caught the card info while the card was being mailed.

As one of my squad leaders so eloquently stated; 'That is some creepy-ass weird shit.'
    I received a corp. credit card in the mail where the envelope looked as though it had been run through an old-school credit card carbon copy machine to get the imprint of the number. I called up the issuer who bounced me to the internal security team -- it took them quite a while to understand what the problem was but they were happy to send a new card. Never found out if it was an intentional attempt to steal the number or an artifact of a sorting machine but there did appear to be purple ink on the outside of the envelope.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    People who commit credit card fraud and identity theft (and people who drive slow in the left lane) should be tried in RevolverRob's kangaroo court.
    I’ll go for the first one if the sentence is to be beaten by a kangaroo.

That gives me an idea for an afternoon show on Fox: “Judge Rob’s Kangaroo Court”. All of the sarcasm of Judge Judy, but with executions!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    I received a corp. credit card in the mail where the envelope looked as though it had been run through an old-school credit card carbon copy machine to get the imprint of the number. I called up the issuer who bounced me to the internal security team -- it took them quite a while to understand what the problem was but they were happy to send a new card. Never found out if it was an intentional attempt to steal the number or an artifact of a sorting machine but there did appear to be purple ink on the outside of the envelope.
    In my Soldier's case, there were absolutely no signs of carbon-copy or unusual compression of the envelope. Citibank was happy to issue a new card - and the person we talked to at Citi was nonchalant to the point of it all seeming business-as-usual.

User Tag List