Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Crime....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Speaking of Crime....

Has there been any research about the rise of the use of debit cards correlating to a reduction in rates of business robberies?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Will, thanks.

I occasionally have ordered a special kind of cat litter from the Blue & Yellow Box of Evil. The other day, I went to reorder. They had everything else that I had purchased using that credit card.

So, for me, that gave me an incentive to go back to paying for almost everything in cash.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Will, thanks.

I occasionally have ordered a special kind of cat litter from the Blue & Yellow Box of Evil. The other day, I went to reorder. They had everything else that I had purchased using that credit card.

So, for me, that gave me an incentive to go back to paying for almost everything in cash.
    Same, but then I use Meijer's MPerks when I use cash, so they track my purchases anyway.
    But I save an average of $75 a month...

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Does that concern you as a privacy issue, a potential vector to steal credit card numbers, or...?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Does that concern you as a privacy issue, a potential vector to steal credit card numbers, or...?
    Privacy. There are some things I try to never buy with a credit card, nor use a "store affinity" card when I get them. But now I''m going to ramp that up.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    You might want to take a gander at Privacy.com. It lets you create a single-use debit card for each purchase you make in order to obfuscate that particular connection between customer purchases. The merchant just sees a purchase from some debit card, and your bank just sees a charge from Privacy.com. It's a fairly well-regarded service in the privacy-advocate community. [ETA: Some sites may bounce those debits for fraud-prevention purposes. Not sure if Amazon is one of them.]

You can also look at Abine Blur that does something similar. Abine isn't free to use however.

Using cash in-person is the only way to avoid the online surveillance ecosystem, though. Just make sure to turn your phone on airline mode and wear shades and a hat in the store, because brick-and-mortars are just as aggressive at tracking people.
    Last edited by Chance; 01-16-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

This is just my personal experience and thoughts.

There is enormous credit card fraud. I had my credit card number stolen somehow. The thieves used my credit card to forward my USPS mail to someplace in New York. They used my information to apply for 3 other new credit cards. The mail would be forwarded for 20 or 30 days. It was at the end of the month and they only forwarded the stuff in my name, not my wife's so we might not have been aware of it if our local mail carrier had not wondered and asked about the 65 pound box of bullets and wondered why I would have it forwarded. They would have gotten any first of the month bills and checks. I immediately called the local post office and they dug out all the stuff they had started to forward and sent it to me. As the next months bills came in there were several things charged to my card that I didn't order. When I called the various credit card companies, they very graciously removed the items. It didn't cost me anything but the time I spent. Somebody ate all the cost, probably the credit card companies. We got all new credit cards with new numbers.

I did an online training about this. Credit fraud is an enormous business with different groups of people working together. Some dumpster diving, purse thieves, people buying stuff with stolen cards etc.

If cash goes away there will be an enormous barter system in place. Stock up on 22 rimfire.

Site Supporter
    People who commit credit card fraud and identity theft (and people who drive slow in the left lane) should be tried in RevolverRob's kangaroo court.

Site Supporter
    We recently had a young Soldier's Citibank Gov't Travel Card get compromised. The Soldier received the card in the mail, left it in the envelope and kept it safe in his house. About three weeks later, our Bn S3 folks are getting notifications about that Soldier's GTC being used at unauthorized establishments and the charges being denied.
    We contact the Soldier, and sure enough he brings in the GTC still in the sealed envelope from Citibank, never activated.

Best we can figure is that it was some asshole with an RFID/reader/scanner of some kind that caught the card info while the card was being mailed.

As one of my squad leaders so eloquently stated; 'That is some creepy-ass weird shit.'

User Tag List