Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reconsidering AIWB... Suggestions?

Reconsidering AIWB... Suggestions?

Recently I decided that I should move to an all kydex holster and started shopping around. I got a very helpful reply from JMCK last night regarding an IWB3 (thanks!) and was all set to pull the trigger, so to speak, when gotto thinking more about really trying AIWB. I've always largely dismissed it despite the theoretical advantages because I thought it would be highly uncomfortable given a small gut and where I wear my pants (lower, aroundmy hips, ever since I was really little).
    But having lost almost 40 lb recently and mostly shrunk the gut, I figured maybe I ought to give it an honest try.

Not having a really good holster for it, I grabbed one or two of the cheap kydex clipon ones we had laying around from years ago and experimented a little while getting dressed this morning.

Surprisingly, I found it to be a lot more comfortable and concealed than I had figured it might be, even with the cheapo holsters. Things seemed to fit well very close to center, with the inboard edge of the holster even with the edge of the belt buckle; that kept me from getting jabbed in the leg or other sensitive areas. The frew practice draws Idid in the mirror seemed to be faster, subjectively. I'm thinking seriously about ordering an AIWB instead.

I think I'd like to buy from JMCK because of how helpful they've already been, but I'm having a hard time picking out that the differences between the options are. Any suggestions from the crowd to narrow the choices? I'll probably email them directly later but I figure user input is always valuable too.

Thanks!
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    Recently I decided that I should move to an all kydex holster and started shopping around. I got a very helpful reply from JMCK last night regarding an IWB3 (thanks!) and was all set to pull the trigger, so to speak, when gotto thinking more about really trying AIWB. I've always largely dismissed it despite the theoretical advantages because I thought it would be highly uncomfortable given a small gut and where I wear my pants (lower, aroundmy hips, ever since I was really little).
    But having lost almost 40 lb recently and mostly shrunk the gut, I figured maybe I ought to give it an honest try.

Not having a really good holster for it, I grabbed one or two of the cheap kydex clipon ones we had laying around from years ago and experimented a little while getting dressed this morning.

Surprisingly, I found it to be a lot more comfortable and concealed than I had figured it might be, even with the cheapo holsters. Things seemed to fit well very close to center, with the inboard edge of the holster even with the edge of the belt buckle; that kept me from getting jabbed in the leg or other sensitive areas. The frew practice draws Idid in the mirror seemed to be faster, subjectively. I'm thinking seriously about ordering an AIWB instead.

I think I'd like to buy from JMCK because of how helpful they've already been, but I'm having a hard time picking out that the differences between the options are. Any suggestions from the crowd to narrow the choices? I'll probably email them directly later but I figure user input is always valuable too.

Thanks!
    gtae07, how big of a guy are you? What pistol are you wanting to carry? It sounds like my Wing Claw 2.5, with DCC clips will work for you, but give me a little more info and I can give you a better recommendation. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

What type of pistol do you carry? If it's a Glock . . . wait for it . . . I recommend you install an SCD/gadget. Or are you already using one? My apologies in advance if so.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm 6'0", about 180. All of the carried Glocks in our house have SCDs, the rest will get them eventually.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Buy whatever Tony tells you to. Seriously, he gets a lot of feedback and he's never steered me wrong. FWIW I bought a 2.0 because it has a lot of adjustment, which turned out perfect for me. In addition to ride height and the claw pushing the butt of the pistol in, I have mine set with the butt having a very slight outboard cant.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    You've made a solid choice with JMCK, and a good decision to install SCDs.

I have several models of AIWB holsters from JMCK (I carry a 1911) and they are all good, but I think my favorite is the Wing Claw 2.0 with full guard and sponge pad. The only downside to having several choices is that everyone is different and it might take trying more than one to ensure you end up with the one that works best for you.

And whoops, yes, forgot to specify... primarily a Glock 19.4 and G43 as the secondary (a new holster for that one too, if I end up liking this). Future consideration to a 19.5MOS and an optic, eventually.

Tony, do you ever sleep? I'll respond to last night's email shortly...

And whoops, yes, forgot to specify... primarily a Glock 19.4 and G43 as the secondary (a new holster for that one too, if I end up liking this). Future consideration to a 19.5MOS and an optic, eventually.

Tony, do you ever sleep? I'll respond to last night's email shortly...
    gtae07, I replied to your email. And yep, I sleep like 4hrs a night....hopefully
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

So based on Tony's suggestion I'm looking at a Wing Claw 2.5. The only remaining issue I'm trying to settle is length, and then I'll be ready to place the order. He's suggested a G17 holster as the extra length should keep it from jabbing me while sitting. I've heard a lot of people say something similar, but based on my (admittedly quick and dirty) experimenting this morning, it seemed more like extra length might cause my upper leg or, umm, other parts to get jabbed when sitting due to my lower beltline (~2-3" below navel). I seemed to get good results this morning with the muzzle tucking in between things a bit while seated, so I don't know what a 17-length holster would do for that.

Then again, it isn't *that* much longer, I guess, and would give me the option of carrying my 17 should I desire to do that someday.

The engineer in me says "well, I could graft an extension on if I want it longer" but also says "if it's too long could it be trimmed and reformed over the muzzle end?" Choices, choices...

Site Supporter
    So based on Tony's suggestion I'm looking at a Wing Claw 2.5. The only remaining issue I'm trying to settle is length, and then I'll be ready to place the order. He's suggested a G17 holster as the extra length should keep it from jabbing me while sitting. I've heard a lot of people say something similar, but based on my (admittedly quick and dirty) experimenting this morning, it seemed more like extra length might cause my upper leg or, umm, other parts to get jabbed when sitting due to my lower beltline (~2-3" below navel). I seemed to get good results this morning with the muzzle tucking in between things a bit while seated, so I don't know what a 17-length holster would do for that.

Then again, it isn't *that* much longer, I guess, and would give me the option of carrying my 17 should I desire to do that someday.

The engineer in me says "well, I could graft an extension on if I want it longer" but also says "if it's too long could it be trimmed and reformed over the muzzle end?" Choices, choices...
    This product is good enough and elegant enough you aren’t going to want to do any serious redneck engineering (no disrespect intended) after the fact. I’d suggest just selling it if you don’t like the length you picked.

I’m going to be no help on the length. I’ve tried both and like both the same. I go with the 17 length just because that way it fits all my glocks.

User Tag List