Thread: NC gun laws...?

NC gun laws...?

Relocating to SW North Carolina soon, and wondering about the purchase permit law there.

Does this apply to handguns already owned by me and registered in my current State, or just new purchases once a NC resident?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NC gun laws...?

Just new purchases... :-)

And welcome to NC!
    Last edited by s0nspark; 01-14-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Just new purchases... :-)

And welcome to NC!
    Thank you !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuin View Post
    Relocating to SW North Carolina soon, and wondering about the purchase permit law there.

Does this apply to handguns already owned by me and registered in my current State, or just new purchases once a NC resident?

It’s $500 cash for all handguns that you want to bring into the state. I’ll PM you the address for payment.

Just kidding. The permit applies to new purchases. It’s not required if you have a NC CCW. We are overall gun friendly - shall issue, no purchase limits, no magazine capacity restrictions, stand your ground, etc.
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-14-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Thing I liked about the purchase permit scheme was that as a SELLER I had some tangible way to confirm that the buyer was not prohibited, other than my personal sketchiness detector.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

This may prove helpful if you have other questions;

https://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/3234429...-gun-Laws.aspx
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Thing I liked about the purchase permit scheme was that as a SELLER I had some tangible way to confirm that the buyer was not prohibited, other than my personal sketchiness detector.
    Agreed - I am not a fan of the 5 year expiration, though. Seems like an awfully long time to me.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Welcome to NC! Our laws are quite friendly, just be aware the pistol permit scheme really varies by county. If you plan on purchasing new pistols anytime soon you may want to just go ahead and get an NC CCH licence. E.g. in Durham, there is a limit on how many permits you can get at a time and the check takes quite a while, out in my neck of the woods, check is quick and you can buy as many permits as you want.

Also, our knife laws are vague and strange.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Thank you, all. I read the N.C. Firearms law publication before posting my original question, as the issue of importing pistols was not specifically addressed.

It seemed okay, but thought I’d better clarify. No immediate thoughts on new purchases (but who really plans too far in advance anyway) and I have several to choose from.

I have a carry permit now, so once I’m a resident in N.C., that will be no good. Waiting period will then kick in.

User Tag List