Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Presidential Nominee 2020 Thread

Most of you guys have way more confidence in the electorate than I can drum up. Look at yourselves in the mirror and you will see the polar opposite of where dem votes come from. It's all about who will "give me free stuff" or who is the cutest, or who can best use the catchy phraseology that's so in vogue. The rest will just vote out of gratitude for getting across the river. If Trump don't get that wall built, it ain't gonna matter who runs as long as there's a D beside their name. It may be too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Sure that's all true. But all during the last election I said, and still believe, that Hitlery was the only dem that had a chance of losing to Trump. And vice versa. A somewhat normal human type thing on either side would have walked away with that election without breaking a sweat. And let's not forget, that piece of shit still won the popular vote by a good chunk (last I saw). I don't know of any big name dems that are more reviled by the general public and she still won the popular vote. This time around, the dems have received a free additional 4 years of campaigning in the form of nonstop trump bashing. On top of all THAT, there is no way that this shutdown with thousands of Gov employees not getting paid for weeks is winning any fans and middle of the road voters for Trump. I just don't see how the dems could lose the next one. I'd like to be wrong about that (believe me I was THRILLED to be wrong last time).... but I'd be willing to bet copious $$$ that I'm not.
    Just look at Nixon vs McGovern in 1972. Tricky Dicky had negative press, a war in Vietnam he promised to pull out of, rioting in the streets, was seriously unlikable, a ton of scandals in his admin other than Watergate, more negative press, and was perceived to be severely out of touch with the large number of Left leaning Baby Boomers just getting the vote. Negatives that are much, much higher than what Trump is facing.
    Yet, the Democratic party still managed to find a candidate that pretty much turned off all of America.

I have every single bit of confidence that they will be able to do it once again.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Hopefully you're right Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    You guys were all wrong about the last election.

Might as well be wrong about this one, too.
    I sure as hell wasn’t.

But, moving on; I note that the scuttlebutt out here in WA state is for both a Gov Inslee run (fucking barf) and a NY mayor DeBlasio run at contention (barfing up leftover bile). I mean, it’s too early for serious prediction. However, nothing would surprise me, though I reserve the right to be amazed.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Just look at Nixon vs McGovern in 1972. Tricky Dicky had negative press, a war in Vietnam he promised to pull out of, rioting in the streets, was seriously unlikable, a ton of scandals in his admin other than Watergate, more negative press, and was perceived to be severely out of touch with the large number of Left leaning Baby Boomers just getting the vote. Negatives that are much, much higher than what Trump is facing.
    Yet, the Democratic party still managed to find a candidate that pretty much turned off all of America.
    We have a completely different demographic than we did 50 years ago.

Also, Nixon was far more presidential and far less dislikeable than Trump, a factor which may alienate some people who would otherwise vote him and cause them to either vote against him or not vote at all for a presidential candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    We have a completely different demographic than we did 50 years ago.
    How so? The old folks of both eras were more conservative, while the young folks tend to be more liberal. A lot of late 60's pundits were going into some detail about how huge an effect the wave of left leaning and newly enfranchised Baby Boomers were going to have on politics during that era- again, don't forget that the Boomers were still young and very Liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Also, Nixon was far more presidential and far less dislikeable than Trump, a factor which may alienate some people who would otherwise vote him and cause them to either vote against him or not vote at all for a presidential candidate.
    That's not the impression I get from reading a whole lot of contemporary political literature. This was a man who was seriously hated by the pundits from the day he made his bones as a red-baiter, the man who gave the petulant "you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore!" speech. This is the guy who held the "Literally Hitler" title until W came along (and how proud Hunter S Thompson was to have been the one who first to make that comparison!).

Again the big thing is that it is a pretty good bet the Democrats will once again find someone with pretty much no appeal outside the base, someone even less appealing than Hillary Clinton.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    When I moved to Louisiana in '90, my first gubernatorial election was between Edwin ("Vote for the Crook!") Edwards, now a convicted felon, and David Duke. 2016 was, and 2020 probably will be, déjà vu all over again.

Site Supporter
    Bernie
    Biden
    Kamala
    O'Rourke

Bernie and Biden are really old.

My money is the DNC gets behind Beto mania or Kamala.

Site Supporter
    Hickenlooper is my Dark Horse.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Entertaining read.

I like Senator Klobuchar of Minnesota or Mayor Mitch Landrieu.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

User Tag List