Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Presidential Nominee 2020 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If Admiral McRaven was the Dem candidate, I might actually vote Dem (depending on his position on guns).
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/20/opini...ler/index.html
    He is another Wesley Clark, Petreus or who ever, all anti modern sporting rifle.

It will be a SHIT SHOW, whomever they pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    He is another Wesley Clark, Petreus or who ever, all anti modern sporting rifle.
    And all about "reasonable restrictions", like mag capacity bans, hollowpoint bans, scary looking feature bans, and so on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And all about "reasonable restrictions", like mag capacity bans, hollowpoint bans, scary looking feature bans, and so on.
    yep another DEM Gun Grabber

a more interesting question is: will someone in the GOP try to primary a sitting president? Ol' Mitten Kitten has been trying to raise his public profile recently.

(is that even a thing that's possible? I don't know enough about party rules to say.)
    Last edited by perlslacker; 01-14-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Biden and Bernie are each too old and insufficently mainstream to pull anything off.

O’Rourke can pull in money, but his experience is too slim. He might make an attractive VP candidate for a front-running candidate.

I can’t see Clinton running again.

Warren is full speed ahead, I can see her picking up O’Rourke for a North/South Female/Male ticket. Might have issues running a ticket that looks that white, though.

Booker? Harris? I don’t think that they have the name recognition that they’ll need. DJT knows how to get the media’s attention, and a ticket without attention will lose.

Are there any dark horse candidates? The McRaven suggestion was interesting, but would he even want to run? An independent Mattis ticket would be an entertaining injection of Chaos into the process.

As much as I dislike identity politics, I predict it’ll be a thing, and that the system will end up producing a candidate to compete with Trump who will end up not being a white male.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 01-14-2019 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    As much as I dislike identity politics, I predict it’ll be a thing, and that the system will end up producing a candidate to compete with Trump who will end up not being a white male.
    The novelty factor of having the first Minority president has already come and gone with Obama.

2020 is an "off" year, a campaign against an incumbent president. And the general rule is that incumbents tend to have the advantage (even those in the low 40's, approval wise), so most of the opponents tend to be the long-shots and those who mostly appeal to the party's base.

2008 and 2016 were interesting because you had Hillary basically rigging the system. The first time, she picked the wrong ringer (Obama), and lost. The second time, she picked two wrong ringers (Bernie and Trump), and lost again.
    It's going to be a few years until the damage she wrought can work itself out of the Democratic party.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

You guys were all wrong about the last election.

Might as well be wrong about this one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Biden and Bernie are each too old and insufficently mainstream to pull anything off.

O’Rourke can pull in money, but his experience is too slim. He might make an attractive VP candidate for a front-running candidate.
    Obama's experience wasn't that great before he ran.

The best possible outcome could be that a Biden or an O"Rourke gets the nomination and Bernie gets pissed enough to run as an independent and split the vote enough for Trump to win re-election.

I'm not a fan of the Donald--he is cringeworthy and gets more cringeworthy with every tweet and action. The thing with Mattis quitting was the last straw for me. Well, after writing that I guess I can kiss any chance of getting a cabinet appointment goodbye.

But to quote Duane Liptak of Magpul: "And…love Trump or hate him, regardless of anything else he has done, if it were Hillary putting 2, possibly 3 judges on the USSC bench, the 2A would be dead in 10 years. That’s why NRA went all in with him. Not because he was a philosophically pure candidate on all of 2A, but because he was willing to put pro 2A judges on the bench, and because he could win."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Never underestimate the ability of either party to snatch Defeat from the jaws of Victory.

The Democrats are especially good at finding really extreme, out of mainstream, near radical types to contest "can't lose" elections- see McGovern '72 or Clinton '16.

Of course, the Republicans tend to trot out safe (and dull) Party Men when going up against incumbents- see Dole '96, Romney '12, or the attempt to run Jeb! in '16.
    Sure that's all true. But all during the last election I said, and still believe, that Hitlery was the only dem that had a chance of losing to Trump. And vice versa. A somewhat normal human type thing on either side would have walked away with that election without breaking a sweat. And let's not forget, that piece of shit still won the popular vote by a good chunk (last I saw). I don't know of any big name dems that are more reviled by the general public and she still won the popular vote. This time around, the dems have received a free additional 4 years of campaigning in the form of nonstop trump bashing. On top of all THAT, there is no way that this shutdown with thousands of Gov employees not getting paid for weeks is winning any fans and middle of the road voters for Trump. I just don't see how the dems could lose the next one. I'd like to be wrong about that (believe me I was THRILLED to be wrong last time).... but I'd be willing to bet copious $$$ that I'm not.

User Tag List