Thread: A Good Synopsis of the US Light Rifle Program

A Good Synopsis of the US Light Rifle Program

A good read. Nothing most of us probably don't already know but it summarizes a couple decades worth of controversy.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/ran...2008/P6306.pdf

Site Supporter
    The first thing that struck me about this report was that it was typewritten. I can visualize the typist pulling the ball from the IBM Selectric to switch the typeface. BTDT.

It was interesting to note that what the author gave as a main reason for the ascendency of rapid versus aimed fire - the paucity of individual targets in warfare up to the report's time - changed in the GWOT and led to pulling a bunch of M14s out of mothballs.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It was interesting to note that what the author gave as a main reason for the ascendency of rapid versus aimed fire changed in the GWOT and led to pulling a bunch of M14s out of mothballs.
    Yes. Studler and Ordnance have been somewhat vindicated in recent years although the Pedersen M1 cartridge or the British EM2 cartridge probably would have worked equally well and been a great 'tween of the 30-06 and the 223.

Army appears to be once again (or still continues) to look for The One cartridge for multiple small arms platforms. There have been recent news articles about some new 6.8 that will possibly be the new cartridge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-14-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The first thing that struck me about this report was that it was typewritten. I can visualize the typist pulling the ball from the IBM Selectric to switch the typeface. BTDT.

It was interesting to note that what the author gave as a main reason for the ascendency of rapid versus aimed fire - the paucity of individual targets in warfare up to the report's time - changed in the GWOT and led to pulling a bunch of M14s out of mothballs.
    Not exactly. There is always a paucity of individual targets. People try not to get shot. Afghani and Iraqi insurgents are no different. Hitting moving targets and/or targets that don’t want to be seen requires.... rapid aimed fire. The two are not mutually exclusive. The one shot one kill thing has always been a myth.

Rack grade M14s are not sniper rifles. They are 3-4 MOA guns with ball ammo.

There was a demand for DMR rifles in general and 7.62 rifles in particular due longer ranges. The M14s were pulled as a stop gap for DMR use because they were the only 7.62 rifles “in the system.” There was not a general return to battle rifles. In fact rather than pulling rack grade M14s out of storage they pulled match grade accurized (maybe acursed?) M14s on loan to Highpower shooting organizations.

The M14s were placed into chassis systems and scoped which turned into a complete shitshow. The guns were heavy and awkward. The chassis would hold 1-2 MOA initially, if you could get Mk118 match ammo, but when the chassis removed for maintenance the guns would become 5-6 MOA. The chassis required specific torque values when reassembled to hold accuracy. No one told end users and even if they had, they did not issue torque wrenches.

Mk118 ammo was not availible and they wound up shooting delinked ball ammo which brought the accuracy back to 3-4 MOA or worse.

Not to mention the guns were issued with a horrible optic with a mil based reticle and MOA adjustments. Because hey, why not make people do twice as much math while in combat ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Mk118 ammo was not availible and they wound up shooting delinked ball ammo which brought the accuracy back to 3-4 MOA or worse.
    I had a buddy tell me that when JAG found out they were shooting delinked MG ammo, the M14s (in his unit) were pulled because of some alleged Law of Land Warfare concern.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I had a buddy tell me that when JAG found out they were shooting delinked MG ammo, the M14s (in his unit) were pulled because of some alleged Law of Land Warfare concern.
    That would not surprise me though that is more of a JAG ignorance issue, like the JAGs telling guys they could not use the DOD approved Mk262 rounds in 5.56 SPRs.

Site Supporter
    @HCM - Thanks for the additional info!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

There was a demand for DMR rifles in general and 7.62 rifles in particular due longer ranges. The M14s were pulled as a stop gap for DMR use because they were the only 7.62 rifles “in the system.”
    As an interesting aside, the Soviets appear to have known and accepted the limitations of the 7.62X39 by augmenting the AK with the SVD. At least on paper.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-15-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    As an interesting aside, the Soviets appear to have known and accepted the limitations of the 7.62X39 by augmenting the AK with the SVD. At least on paper.
    They were definite ahead in the DMR vs true “sniper” game, at least conceptually.

User Tag List