Thread: Finally tried IDPA. It's SO MUCH FUN!

Finally tried IDPA. It's SO MUCH FUN!

The local range out here hosts the Permian IDPA club, and I finally got out to one of their matches on Saturday. Despite the wind and 40 degree weather, everyone was real nice and friendly. I had a damn good time shooting the stages and qualifier. My goal was to be patient and in control, even if that meant being glacially slow. I know I need to work on speed, but that's what practice is for, right?

I ended up doing pretty well, and 90%-95% of my shots were right where I needed them to be. A little more work on reloads in practice and some speed work should help, but dang if it isn't easy to drill the -0 zone when you move like a septuagenarian. They even let me run AIWB without too much complaint.

Anyway, I had a great time, and the only thing I can kick myself for is not doing IDPA or some kind of shooting competition before. Just the social aspect with other shooters is nice. I'm definitely coming back for every match I can make.

Any recommendations to someone who's hardly looked at an IDPA rulebook and is still just enjoying the novelty of shooting competition?

90 to 95% of the available points is good. Work on doing the things between actually shooting more quickly. For instance, when moving from place to place, run, don't walk.

Sounds like you found a fun local club. Be aware that you probably won't be allowed to shoot AIWB at many clubs.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Sounds like you found a fun local club. Be aware that you probably won't be allowed to shoot AIWB at many clubs.
    Yeah, I brought a strong side holster just in case, but they were cool about it. I'm thrilled to be able to duplicate exactly what I carry on the range under a timer.

My best advice is have fun!

And go shoot USPSA for more fun if possible ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Enjoy yourself. Be safe. Focus on continuous improvement. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    90 to 95% of the available points is good. Work on doing the things between actually shooting more quickly. For instance, when moving from place to place, run, don't walk.
    This.

Shoot slow enough to get hits. Do everything else as fast as you can.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I am 71 and this is my 3rd year of comp. My goals are; be safe and follow the rules, have fun, try for all down zeros and let the time take care of itself. I shoot a beretta 92 and found a very good replica BB gun at Pyramid Air. This has been a fantastic tool to allow me to practice in the basement. I put a medium moving box inside a large box and that captures the BBs. I usually tape a paper plate for a target. Shoot either the whole 9 in plate, or use a marker to make about a 5 inch circle (just inside the ridges that are along the edge) or stick a 3 inch dot on it. I started this when shooting steel challenge. The toughest target in SC is a 9 inch disc at 60 feet. So a 3 inch at 20 feet is the same. now shooting almost all IDPA so more often use the 5 or 9 in. I am also starting to set up multiple boxes.

User Tag List