Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a taller mount for the Steiner P4Xi

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Maybe request to use higher mounts as an age related “reasonable acomodation?”

Fortunately for now, I’m one of the youngest guys, so that won’t fly. But I’m blind as a bat so I may just try getting that justification.

It may actually be a POST requirement to cowitness, since part of the state qual is an optic failure portion.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    Fortunately for now, I’m one of the youngest guys, so that won’t fly. But I’m blind as a bat so I may just try getting that justification.

It may actually be a POST requirement to cowitness, since part of the state qual is an optic failure portion.
    Can you run an offset BUIS allowing you to complete the optic failure portion of the quality and use a tall mount?

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Can you run an offset BUIS allowing you to complete the optic failure portion of the quality and use a tall mount?

Not sure. I’ve wondered that as well, but we’re required per policy to have our front sight constantly folded up or a fixed front on red dot guns. So I’m afraid you’d have to run the offsets up.

I’m going to make a list and throw it at our range guys, and see if anything sticks.

The other side is I can’t find a QD 1.93 mount for my MRO.

Not sure. I’ve wondered that as well, but we’re required per policy to have our front sight constantly folded up or a fixed front on red dot guns. So I’m afraid you’d have to run the offsets up.

I’m going to make a list and throw it at our range guys, and see if anything sticks.

The other side is I can’t find a QD 1.93 mount for my MRO.
    If all that is getting in your way is that you need to run your front folded up or a fixed front, both are doable. Surefire makes a fixed offset sight set.

And my Magpul offsets are beefy enough to be run folded up. They might accident get closed in your trunk...

Mmmm, didn’t think about those duecks. My light is currently mounted on that side, but I may have to make something work.

Mmmm, didn’t think about those duecks. My light is currently mounted on that side, but I may have to make something work.
    If you move the irons to the side, you can put a light at 12 o'clock. That works even better with a taller optic mount. I just built a rifle using the Geissele 1.93" mount. For now I have a Scout light at 1 o'clock, but eventually it will need offset irons since the G mount is not a QD. If the irons can't clear the Scout properly I'll put an X300U at 12 o'clock and call it a day.

I do enjoy the heads up position the taller mount allows when shooting upright, but when prone I find it less effective. It may just take getting used to, so I haven't give up yet. But I also remember what Defoor taught about dying in the prone. Can't say I'd never use prone during a real event, but it's pretty low on my list since it sacrifices mobility. I have a tough time envisioning many scenarios in LE where I'd have the time/distance to shoot at someone far enough away that I'd use traditional prone. Urban prone - sure.

You can also drop the light to the 5:00 like a bunch of people do with MAWLs and other IR lasers. I wish SureFire sold the sights separately, I feel like a FO front Dueck and rear pro would be a nice combo. Not sure about the huge A2 hanging over there 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I coincidentally mounted up a P4Xi last night as well. If you like the MI system and don't want to deviate from it, they make a 1.9" tall version of what you have.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...d30smh-blk.htm

I paid something like $95 for mine from Optics Planet on Black Friday, so there's definitely deals to be found.

For a ‘minimalist’ approach, Warne rings come in a variety of heights and sizes, and give you the option of QD if you want it:

https://warnescopemounts.com/wp-cont...-200L-222L.pdf

User Tag List