Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a taller mount for the Steiner P4Xi

Looking for a taller mount for the Steiner P4Xi

I currently have it mounted with Midwest Industries 30mm QD mount.

I want to raise the scope some so I am considering this by Yankee Hill Machine.

I'm not sure I like the idea of "stacking" mounts. Do you guys know of any other options as far as mounts? Doesn't necessarily have to be a QD mount.

Thanks, David

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ve used this mount from LaRue on my 6920 with fsb.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...ount-qd-lt135/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Geissele and Badger Ordnance both have tall options.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Geissele offers a couple different options of tall height mounts. Scalar Works will also be releasing a tall version of their QD mount soon as well. Both aren't cheap and will likely cost close to the same as your Steiner. Their quality is second to none though.

Looking for a taller mount for the Steiner P4Xi

ADM Recon-H is a 1.93, and then there’s the other ones listed like the Geiselle 1.93 and 2.04.

My recommendation would be unless you’re certain you want to start into the 1.93 (or 2.04) mount height game, you snag up that YHM part and try it out. High mounting the optic makes a ton of sense for a more “heads up” position, and makes shooting with a pro-mask a bit more doable. But it’s still different, and a cheap part off amazon to test the concept made sense to me. It’s what I’ve been using at this point.

If it’s a duty gun, I’d prefer the complete mount instead of stacking. However, since your current mount is QD, pop it off, throw the riser on, get a feel for your zero change, then run some drills for a day, and go back to your old mount before going 10-8. Then if you like it, I’d snag one of the above mounts.

The main reason I haven’t converted to 1.93, is I run red dots on some rifles, and a variable on another. I’m not allowed to use 1.93 for red dots since I’m required to be able to use co-witnessed irons through the red dot. Scopes don’t eveb require BUIS.....

Good luck with all.
    Last edited by BK14; 01-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Geissele offers a couple different options of tall height mounts. Scalar Works will also be releasing a tall version of their QD mount soon as well. Both aren't cheap and will likely cost close to the same as your Steiner. Their quality is second to none though.
    The scalar works will cost about the same as the Steiner but the G mount is not quite that bad.

The G mount is around $325ish but if you are patient they will likely have a Easter sale which should bring it to 250ish.

The other option is to haunt the classifieds/ equipment exchange on ARFCOM or M4C for a used ADM or Larue.

Either was you should be able to recoup some of your costs by selling the old mount.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    ADM Recon-H is a 1.93, and then there’s the other ones listed like the Geiselle 1.93 and 2.04.

My recommendation would be unless you’re certain you want to start into the 1.93 (or 2.04) mount height game, you snag up that YHM part and try it out. High mounting the optic makes a ton of sense for a more “heads up” position, and makes shooting with a pro-mask a bit more doable. But it’s still different, and a cheap part off amazon to test the concept made sense to me. It’s what I’ve been using at this point.

If it’s a duty gun, I’d prefer the complete mount instead of stacking. However, since your current mount is QD, pop it off, throw the riser on, get a feel for your zero change, then run some drills for a day, and go back to your old mount before going 10-8. Then if you like it, I’d snag one of the above mounts.

The main reason I haven’t converted to 1.93, is I run red dots on some rifles, and a variable on another. I’m not allowed to use 1.93 for red dots since I’m required to be able to use co-witnessed irons through the red dot. Scopes don’t eveb require BUIS.....

Good luck with all.
    Another plus for the higher mounts - if you are getting older it helps using the optic while wearing glasses and when shooting prone if you are not as limber as you used to be.

Maybe request to use higher mounts as an age related “reasonable acomodation?”
    Last edited by HCM; 01-14-2019 at 03:04 PM.

I responded on P&S but figured that I should add that I love my G 1.93 mount. I used it with the P4Xi for a little while but now a Razor sits in it. The Steiner doesn't have a mount now so I'm keeping my eye out for a good price on a 2.04 to try out with it. The 1.93 doesn't even feel that high. Badger's new modular scope mount will come in a height to match RDS at lower 1/3 which is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Another plus for the higher mounts - if you are getting older it helps using the optic while wearing glasses and when shooting prone if you are not as limber as you used to be.

Maybe request to use higher mounts as an age related “reasonable acomodation?”
    ^^^THIS^^^

User Tag List