Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the 45 Gap be pushed for mag limited states?

Site Supporter

Should the 45 Gap be pushed for mag limited states?

This is a thought that came to me. The 45 Gap was a decent round but pretty much a flop. However, should it be marketed as a solution for the states with magazine bans?

Yeah, 9 is as effective as 45 in today's world. I do like shooting a 45 and my 1911 is a tad big for concealment on my FOG physique.

Just an idea for their marketing. Stuck in a crappy state - get some firepower with the law!

Mag limit legislation (or the threat of it) drives a ton of innovation in the gun industry.

It's relatively easy to beat the letter of the law as we learned from the AWB of 1994.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Why?

The magazines are the same capacity as the ubiquitous 45 ACP.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Pointless with the recent announcements.

Although for CA, non-carry relegates it to home and hotel room, so size and weight don’t hurt. USP 45 FS with 10 round mags is a good choice.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I'd rather see reliable 10 round Glock magazines for the 17 and 19.

.45 GAP was a neat idea for polymer pistols but you can set up a .45 ACP 1911 to fit all but the smallest hands. If I end up in a ban state I'll probably just bite the bullet and pay the money to run quality 1911s in .45 (or if common sense prevails I'll buy three Glock 48s and stop there).
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-30-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Glenn, you may be on to something, but you've got to give more than "45 GAP- The Right Caliber For The Wrong State". Take a good look at the 260 Remington. It's a little faster than the 6.5 Creedmore, is based on the 308 case which means the geometry is already worked out, but the Creedmore offered a better package with faster twists to support better long range bullets. For the GAP to succeed, it needs a better overall package than what it has now.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I think the best answer is to just get a 10-round 9mm. That said, if I were somewhere where I could only own 10-round mags I would probably have a Glock 37 just because I like guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter

Should the 45 Gap be pushed for mag limited states?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I'd rather see reliable 10 round Glock magazines for the 17 and 19.

.45 GAP was a neat idea for polymer pistols but you can set up a .45 ACP 1911 to fit all but the smallest hands. If I end up in a ban state I'll probably just bite the bullet and pay the money to run quality 1911s in .45 (or if common sense prevails I'll buy three Glock 48s and stop there).
    Well in California we are limited to gen3, so I’m skeptical on the “fits all but the smallest hands” statement. Having said that, a long time ago I converted my full-size 45GAP to 9mm just to save on ammo costs+ I was wanting a new slide for an RMR anyway.

Edited to say: just noticed “small hands” was in reference to 1911s. In spite of the greatly limited options for 1911s in CA I’m sure that is correct.
    Last edited by luckyman; 01-30-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Well in California we are limited to gen3, so I’m skeptical on the “fits all but the smallest hands” statement. Having said that, a long time ago I converted my full-size 45GAP to 9mm just to save on ammo costs+ I was wanting a new slide for an RMR anyway.
    I meant you could set up a 1911 to fit all but the smallest hands, not the Glock. I realize that doesn’t answer Glenn’s concern about the pistol’s overall size for concealment.

Disregard, I was typing while you were updating your post.
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-30-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typing while luckyman was editing

No. Because if you have a ≤10-round limit to your mags, single stack life is the way to go, in my opinion. And you gain nothing with a .45 GAP in single-stack form.

Just pick the platform and go with it. For me that'd probably be a FS or Commander sized 1911 and two Sig P938s/Springfield 911 9mms/Kimber Micro 9s (they're all the same gun...just Colt Mustang Plus IIs chambered in 9mm instead of .380).

User Tag List