Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any S&W 3913 fans here

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    In addition to being slim, reliable, safe and generally nice to shoot... the 3rd gens have truly under-appreciated double action triggers.

Of all my DA/SA autos, I honestly think my 6904 has the smoothest, most consistent DA pull. When I recently ran it in a steel match, I don't think I missed a DA shot. And while I love Berettas, both my 92c and my PX4cc stack, hitch and knock the sights off target when the hammer falls; I find it almost impossible to maintain my sight picture with a Beretta, in DA (granted, that's a sample of 2). My Sigs are a lot better in that respect, but I think the 6904 still takes it in DA.

It kinda makes me wanna try the 3rd gen DAOs. 3953TSW could be interesting.

And just as an aside... I was in New York last week and saw a hint of matte stainless peaking out of an NYPD holster--I'm thinking it might have been a 5946. I guess some are still running them.
    My 3953 has a nice trigger. Not a TSW, though.

"The parts are available, and for cheap."
    Try replacing a cracked frame or slide--something which occasionally happens with alloy frame 3rd gen S&W's; better yet, try to get legit factory parts or service for agency maintained pistols.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Try replacing a cracked frame or slide--something which occasionally happens with alloy frame 3rd gen S&W's; better yet, try to get legit factory parts or service for agency maintained pistols.
    A slide, I could probably find. A frame, not likely. Either case, it’d be cannibalized from a “parts kit” which I suspect are mostly made from destroyed guns and then the remaining parts are sold. “Factory support” in such a case consists of a voucher for an M&P.

Which is why I have (reluctantly) removed all my 3rd Gens from regular use.

On paper, it seems like a 225a1 would be a good replacement for 3913. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with either.

Site Supporter
    I had heard that 2nd gens were known to crack a frame here and there—specifically the 669s and 469s. But I’ve spent some time on the Smith forum and I never got the impression that 3rd gens were weak in this area. One 3rd gen armorer over there gives anecdotal evidence of pushing his 6906 into the 40,000 round territory.

Long story short... unless you buy one with a bazillion rounds through it, you’re probably fine.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-20-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    On paper, it seems like a 225a1 would be a good replacement for 3913. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with either.
    Yes.
    My Sig 239 is very similar to my 3913 LS. I use both of them for carry. Unfortunately, the 239 was discontinued last year, but I still see new ones sitting in local shops.

I've handled the 225A1, never fired one. Nice little pistol. I believe it would definitely be in the same wheelhouse as a 3913 Smith. Some folks think they are a little pricey, it just depends on your wants and needs.

I reckon I can add myself to the list of 3913 fans, as I just bought a nicely-preserved pre-owned 3013 TSW, with rail. I had previously owned an original 3913, and a 3953, in the early/mid-Nineties, when I experimented with plenty of different pistols, but had decided to consolidate to DA revolvers and 1911 pistols in 1997, so phased-out just about everything else.

With the declining health of my right hand/wrist, a shift to carrying left-hand primary seems inevitable, and as traditional DA/SA worked better for my left hand than my right hand, back in the day, I decided to revisit DA/SA options.

I realize that the availability of parts is going to be a problem, so, if I like this 3913 TSW, I will probably start buying the occasional spare gun, in order to preserve the best one for carry, while using the other(s) for training and, if necessary, cannibalizing. Recoil and FP springs seem to still be available; I already ordered spare recoil springs.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-02-2019 at 05:52 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Nice. Nothing really compares to a 3913. Even the P239 is still a bit bulkier in the slide.

After really coming to like my 6904, I bought a pristine 3913TSW (pre-rail) a few years back. Figured it would have the edge in carry over the 69XX. And I suppose it did, with the thin grip. But I always shot the 6904 better--which I still have, still shoot and still carry now and then. While my main carry guns have been Sigs (P239 & P245) for the past few years, I still love 3rd gens. Especially that 6904. It has never had any issues and puts rounds where I put the sights. I also find the DA to SA transition easier; I can reach both pulls comfortably with the same hand position. And I think the DA pull itself is excellent--not necessarily feather light, but no hitchy, catchy bullshit to throw off your sight picture.

I think a 3rd gen offers just about everything you'd want in a DA/SA carry pistol... except for the fact they're not currently produced. Okay, I guess the levers could be slimmer. And some grip tape might help.

Come to think of it, I think my 3913 probably just needed a little extra grit on the grips. I sold it to my buddy... I've often thought of buying it back from him. Thinking about it again...
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-02-2019 at 11:50 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    So I’m seriously thinking about toting the 3913 for the coming year, including maybe shooting some bowling pin and/or IDPA matches, and maybe taking it to a class or two.

I’ve got a 3913, and a 3913LS in case it breaks, and a CS9D for when I need to CCW something with a shorter grip. I’ve got six or seven mags, plus more for the CS9. I’ve got a Bianchi #3S, but I should probably get an open-topped IWB rig.

Given the spares situation, though, part of me is thinking I should really get one more 3913 or equivalent if I’m gonna do this.

So I went to the auction sites and…holy hell have Third Gen Smifs gone nuts. There’s a dude on Gunbroker right now wanting six bills for a Value Series 908S, which is flat out wack.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My local FFL had some NIB 3913s for something like 8 bills a few months back. People are starting to appreciate them for what they really are.

I just wish Smith would take the hint and do a DA/SA Shield.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List