Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Any S&W 3913 fans here

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    My local FFL had some NIB 3913s for something like 8 bills a few months back. People are starting to appreciate them for what they really are.

I just wish Smith would take the hint and do a DA/SA Shield.
    At this point I’m considering floating something like my 21TR or the Shorty 45 as trade bait for a 3913TSW.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    So I’m seriously thinking about toting the 3913 for the coming year, including maybe shooting some bowling pin and/or IDPA matches, and maybe taking it to a class or two.

I’ve got a 3913, and a 3913LS in case it breaks, and a CS9D for when I need to CCW something with a shorter grip. I’ve got six or seven mags, plus more for the CS9. I’ve got a Bianchi #3S, but I should probably get an open-topped IWB rig.

Given the spares situation, though, part of me is thinking I should really get one more 3913 or equivalent if I’m gonna do this.

So I went to the auction sites and…holy hell have Third Gen Smifs gone nuts. There’s a dude on Gunbroker right now wanting six bills for a Value Series 908S, which is flat out wack.

The prices have gone crazy. Look forward to following the venture for 2023. You have one carry and a spare I would enjoy the 3913 and if something breaks then worry about it. I have had one since the late 90's and I quit shooting it for awhile in fear that if it broke what it would take to replace. I then realized it was a shame to not shoot it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I just wish Smith would take the hint and do a DA/SA Shield.
    Sadly, they probably took the lesson from the Springfield XD-E that the market would rather suffer endless negligent discharges than learn how to run a DA trigger.

Name:  my safety expectation reality.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  32.2 KB

So I’m seriously thinking about toting the 3913 for the coming year, including maybe shooting some bowling pin and/or IDPA matches, and maybe taking it to a class or two.

I’ve got a 3913, and a 3913LS in case it breaks, and a CS9D for when I need to CCW something with a shorter grip. I’ve got six or seven mags, plus more for the CS9. I’ve got a Bianchi #3S, but I should probably get an open-topped IWB rig.

Given the spares situation, though, part of me is thinking I should really get one more 3913 or equivalent if I’m gonna do this.

So I went to the auction sites and…holy hell have Third Gen Smifs gone nuts. There’s a dude on Gunbroker right now wanting six bills for a Value Series 908S, which is flat out wack.
    What are you using for holsters? I carried mine way back when in a Kramer IWB that was actually made for my 5906 but it fit well. I also used a left hand Sparks EX and a Sparks double IWB mag pouch when I carried them both.

I’ve got six or seven mags, plus more for the CS9. I’ve got a Bianchi #3S, but I should probably get an open-topped IWB rig.
    I recall @Mas writing back in the day (decades ago) about slicing the thumbbreak off of a @3S with a sharp knife. It would cost you $0, but I don't know if you want to go that route, though.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    If you pick one up and want a good OWB I have a lobo gunleather enhanced avenger I can send you. Its a great holster, but I got rid of my 3913s last year as I couldn't stand to see them sitting in my safe unused.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I recall @Mas writing back in the day (decades ago) about slicing the thumbbreak off of a @3S with a sharp knife. It would cost you $0, but I don't know if you want to go that route, though.
    Yeah, I used to do that. With DeSantis holsters it's surprisingly easy.

I don't know, though. I've kinda made my peace with a properly-constructed thumbbreak. The one on the Bianchi #3 pops open simply as an artifact of acquiring a full firing grip. And it adds an extra barrier for keeping my classy Third Gen Smifs off the bathroom tiles.

Where I see it as a problem is in artificial environments that require constant repeated holstering, like a training class. In those scenarios, the thumbbreak is just an invitation for sudden and unexpected loud noises, although somewhat mitigated by the DA trigger and hammer. Trying to put a cocked gun away by error could get loud in a hurry, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    I'd be first in line for an updated 3913 "M&P" with polymer frame, light rail & M&P2.0 grip texture.

ETA: I have no idea how the slide mounted decocker on a 3913 works but in my fantasy version it is Beretta 'G' style. Or even better, relocated somewhere on the frame.
    The frame mounted decocker S&Ws were a complete shit show. The non safety slide mounted decocker just added a bunch of parts and didn't work real well.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

The 3S was a pretty good holster. I had them for the 5906, 4” service revolver, and something else that escapes me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The frame mounted decocker S&Ws were a complete shit show. The non safety slide mounted decocker just added a bunch of parts and didn't work real well.
    Didn't they do that kludge to make somebody at the FBI happy? "Look, it's just like a Sig!"

The only thing they're good for these days is as collectible oddities.

I think the slide mounted ones can be refitted as rebounding decockers, I know some late LE TSWs had them, but I'm pretty used to popping the lever back up.

One bonus of the thumb break on the #3S...at least the very old one I have*...is that it will not close if the thumb safety on my 3913 is down.

*It's got the single snap on the belt loop and the swivel lacks the ratchet feature.

User Tag List