Thread: So the .440 CorBon is back...kinda sorta

So the .440 CorBon is back...kinda sorta

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/f...-magnum-works/

Unsure of the market for this, as it flopped the first time around.

In a AR upper, it would be interesting, just like the .440 upper by Tromix.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/f...-magnum-works/

Unsure of the market for this, as it flopped the first time around.

In a AR upper, it would be interesting, just like the .440 upper by Tromix.
    The article appears to be about the 429DE.....

Quote Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
    Hence the "kinda sorta." Both are .50AE necked to .429, correct?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    That’s why the OP put “kinda sorta” in the title, both are .50 AE necked down to .44.

Edit beat by OP!
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-13-2019 at 11:43 PM.

By about 30 seconds, I shouldn't have bothered on this forum.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

How did I miss the .440 Cor-Bon the first time around? I'm guessing the DE round is essentially the same cartridge, like .300 Whisper/.300BO or .17 Mach IV/.17 Rem Fireball.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

At least when it comes to handgun cartridges(hole punches), there needs to be a perceived problem with the parent cartridge in order to accept the bottle necked wildcat alternative. The .440 Corbon and .40 Super had to demonstrate that the .45acp was deficient in some way that those cartridges made up for. Bottle necked handgun cartridges rarely succeed in that regard, because most of the time the parent cartridge works fine and makes a larger hole(which is what matters if you want to improve handgun effectiveness). The .440 Corbon didn't offer much advantage over the traditional .45acp, and if you wanted .440 Corbon performance it was a much easier matter to just get a 10mm Auto which would also give you greater magazine capacity. Another problem with most bottle necked handgun cartridges is their short brass necks, which are more prone to bullet setbacks particularly as the calibers get bigger and heavier. I reloaded .357sig for years and it was problematic in comparison to .40S&W.

If I were in the market for a DE, I would rather use .50AE which by all reports is a very good general purpose magnum cartridge.

.440 CorBon was a necked down .50AE. As the .50AE's main selling point is " biggest cartridge you can stuff in a Desert Eagle," I think the .440/.429 DE have little place in the platform. Heck, heavy recoil is a selling point for the Desert Eagle. It's the roller coaster of handguns. Big fun, but gets you nowhere. .

The .444 Marlin has shown there is a small niche for a higher velocity .429 in rifles, however. A non-rimmed cartridge with similar characteristics might have a similar niche in a semi-auto rifle.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

That was a typo, I meant to compare .400 Corbon and .40 Super to the .45acp. As for the “.440 Corbon”, I still prefer the characteristics of a straight walled case like the .50AE.

Site Supporter
    At least when it comes to handgun cartridges(hole punches), there needs to be a perceived problem with the parent cartridge in order to accept the bottle necked wildcat alternative. The .440 Corbon and .40 Super had to demonstrate that the .45acp was deficient in some way that those cartridges made up for. Bottle necked handgun cartridges rarely succeed in that regard, because most of the time the parent cartridge works fine and makes a larger hole(which is what matters if you want to improve handgun effectiveness). The .440 Corbon didn't offer much advantage over the traditional .45acp, and if you wanted .440 Corbon performance it was a much easier matter to just get a 10mm Auto which would also give you greater magazine capacity. Another problem with most bottle necked handgun cartridges is their short brass necks, which are more prone to bullet setbacks particularly as the calibers get bigger and heavier. I reloaded .357sig for years and it was problematic in comparison to .40S&W.

If I were in the market for a DE, I would rather use .50AE which by all reports is a very good general purpose magnum cartridge.

One bottleneck that I do like is the .357/44 Bain & Davis in a revolver. In this case the bottleneck exceeds the ballistics of the .357 Maximum straight case in a much more manageable package. I will concede to your overall point that it really doesn’t do anything the .44 Magnum parent cartridge doesn’t already do.
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-14-2019 at 12:00 PM.

User Tag List