Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Varilux X Progressive lenses

TL: DR - - - One size doesn't fit all.

I've been through multiple discussions with my eye doc about shooting glasses. He said, first off, accept that there are many variations in people's vision, caused by all sorts of things (eye geometry, starting eye correction, etc.). And that people were often looking for different "solutions": distance to sharpest focus (front sight, best compromise of focus on sight and target, etc), position (tilt) of head, others. In other words, if not endless variables, plenty enough to not generalize or assume that one person's solution might be best for you. Clearly, though, it's up to the shooter to describe what he wants so the doc (and optician) understand, and up to the doc and optician to keep up with what's out there that might work.

I have progressive lenses in my daily wear glasses, and I have a strong correction (+7). They're OK. But there's no front sight focus. Doc let me bring in gun (fake actually, but representative of my typical), and he put various corrections on me so I could see front hard front sight focus did to distance, and several in-between that distance and normal distance lenses.

Then we talked about whether lenses could be ground with a section of what seemed to be best compromise correction to me so that that section was where it needed to be for shooting, and yet I could see normally and read normally in other sections. Just didn't seem it would work - - - for me. I have to wear relatively small lenses, because with the distance correction needed, the grind gets really thick out toward the edges. Making the lens larger, with more curve, makes the problem worse - - - true coke bottle lenses.

So, I ended up with a pair of range glasses that has the right lens corrected just for front sight focus (actually somewhat past front sight, while keeping the sight picture decently sharp). Left lens has normal distance correction. Works OK, but wouldn't on the street. And truthfully, they don't work too well at distances beyond 15 yards or so.

Mostly, though, I'm transitioning to red dots . . . er, PMOs. Still not up to satisfactory speed, but gaining. Accuracy is vastly improved.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have some X lens glasses in process, and will report after I receive them and use them a while.

Tell us about the fitting process.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Tell us about the fitting process.
    Go in, they take some different/additional measurements, and you write them a check for about $500 for the lenses.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Go in, they take some different/additional measurements, and you write them a check for about $500 for the lenses.
    The way you describe it, it sounds very high tech and science-y. I hope you are not disappointed with the results.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

GJM
    I'm looking forward to hearing about how well these variluxX lenses work in the wild so to speak after you have had a chance to evaluate them. Did you get any additional coatings?
    Last edited by GOTURBACK; 01-20-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    GJM
    I'm looking forward to hearing about how well these variluxX lenses work in the wild so to speak after you have had a chance to evaluate them. Did you get any additional coatings?
    Yes, scratch and glare prevention.

I have been playing the insurance game to get extra glasses. We can get the exam and glasses once per year. The insurance brings the price down some but certainly nowhere near free. I gave up on progressives for my all around glasses and went to trifocals. The next year the prescription had not changed so I got shooting glasses. My astigmatism isn't bad but I am right hand, left eye dominant. My shooting glasses are a couple mms wider than normal to offer a bit more protection. Doc and I worked real carefully on the intermediate distance prescription and the glasses have that in the entire left lens. This really helps because, w/ the trifocals, I was nowhere near fast enough bobbing my head around to get the sights into the intermediate portion of lens. The right lens is bi focal and has the intermediate and distance prescriptions. Now my pistol sights are in perfect focus and the target slightly fuzzy.

I just picked up a new pair of Varilux lenses in a new set of eyeglasses on Thursday. I had them configured so the very top of the lens is distance and rest of the lens is set for computer usage -- or very sharp images for the front sight. I did not buy them with shooting in mind; I bought them with office work in mind. I can wear them for work at my desk and use the top of the lens in a conference room to follow a presentation. This thread inspired me to try them on the range, so I went out in the snow flurries this morning (yes, we are getting flurries in Alabama). When I tried them, they worked well for Bullseye. I would not suggest them for action shooting as much of the field of view when moving is quite blurred.

Fitting is tedious as a device was moved around my while I focused on items at different distances. The measurement took about thirty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    TL: DR - - - One size doesn't fit all.

I've been through multiple discussions with my eye doc about shooting glasses. He said, first off, accept that there are many variations in people's vision, caused by all sorts of things (eye geometry, starting eye correction, etc.). And that people were often looking for different "solutions": distance to sharpest focus (front sight, best compromise of focus on sight and target, etc), position (tilt) of head, others. In other words, if not endless variables, plenty enough to not generalize or assume that one person's solution might be best for you. Clearly, though, it's up to the shooter to describe what he wants so the doc (and optician) understand, and up to the doc and optician to keep up with what's out there that might work.

I have progressive lenses in my daily wear glasses, and I have a strong correction (+7). They're OK. But there's no front sight focus. Doc let me bring in gun (fake actually, but representative of my typical), and he put various corrections on me so I could see front hard front sight focus did to distance, and several in-between that distance and normal distance lenses.

Then we talked about whether lenses could be ground with a section of what seemed to be best compromise correction to me so that that section was where it needed to be for shooting, and yet I could see normally and read normally in other sections. Just didn't seem it would work - - - for me. I have to wear relatively small lenses, because with the distance correction needed, the grind gets really thick out toward the edges. Making the lens larger, with more curve, makes the problem worse - - - true coke bottle lenses.

So, I ended up with a pair of range glasses that has the right lens corrected just for front sight focus (actually somewhat past front sight, while keeping the sight picture decently sharp). Left lens has normal distance correction. Works OK, but wouldn't on the street. And truthfully, they don't work too well at distances beyond 15 yards or so.

Mostly, though, I'm transitioning to red dots . . . er, PMOs. Still not up to satisfactory speed, but gaining. Accuracy is vastly improved.
    My Father was a very successful "Eye Doctor" and I can assure you this post is dead-on .... you might want to read it twice. The inconvenient reality is simply this; There is no magic or Fairy Dust that will make it all better for most people and corrections of any kind are simply an exercise in compromise. You can have a specific solution to address a specific need, but if your visual acuity has degenerated to any significant degree, you will have to make concessions.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Mine arrived and so far very happy with them. Hiked, generally wore them, shot a red dot and iron sights, and they seem an improvement to current progressive lenses.

User Tag List