Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Varilux X Progressive lenses

Interesting.
    Shooters need a Varilux Y with more blend between intermediate and distance instead of the X "arms length."
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I have a pair of Varilux that I use only for driving at night. For that purpose, they are superb. For seeing front sights, not so much. The lower portion is good for viewing cluster and displays, and the upper portion is great for distance.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just saw this on SigForum, where a poster reported great results with these lenses and iron sights. Anyone here have experience with them?

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7920040254
    My glasses are Varilux Physio. I've noted them on a few posts incl some PR groups. They are amazing in their visual acuity and focus flexibility. They tempt me to abandon contacts.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Interesting.
    Shooters need a Varilux Y with more blend between intermediate and distance instead of the X "arms length."
    Oh my! New pair this year!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I am wearing traditional progressive lenses as I type this. In general, they work well. However:

I find myself having to tilt my head back a little more than I would like when reading my computer screen.

For close reading of tiny print (typical patent or published patent application), I find myself simply taking them off.

For reading high-mounted menus in restaurants, I fund myself having to tilt my head back to a very unnatural degree.

For shooting, the intermediate focus portion of the lens works well, but the most natural part of the lens to look through is the upper portion. The upper portion is not only strictly distance, but also not the optically best part of the lens. I do far more pistol shooting than rifle shooting, but I can envision this resulting in some uncomfortable head positions when trying to get a cheek weld and see low-mounted rifle sights.

I'm due for new glasses soon. I have the same "head tilt" issue with my progressives if I want the front sight to be in focus. I use a few different "stack the dots" sights which are fairly easy to see well enough without needing to be in sharp focus. I'm not interested in any shooting glasses that I wouldn't be wearing in the Walmart parking lot or wherever a fight might happen.

I'm considering having the progressives mid-range line moved a little higher so that I don't have to tilt my head back as much. It will make the distance (top) section a little shorter but I think it might be a fair compromise.

I have some X lens glasses in process, and will report after I receive them and use them a while.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have some X lens glasses in process, and will report after I receive them and use them a while.
    Mine are the Physio. When I chose them two years now I didn't know much about them. I'll inquire about the "Y" but this "X" sounds like the top of the top. Look forward to your review.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Mine are the Physio. When I chose them two years now I didn't know much about them. I'll inquire about the "Y" but this "X" sounds like the top of the top. Look forward to your review.
    I think the “Y” isn’t a product, but someone here’s idea of what would be perfect for shooting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    This was timely; I need new glasses

User Tag List