Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Varilux X Progressive lenses

Varilux X Progressive lenses

Just saw this on SigForum, where a poster reported great results with these lenses and iron sights. Anyone here have experience with them?

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/7920040254
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’m delaying the change to progressive lenses for this reason. Watching this with interest.

What about the Varilux lenses would make them better than other progressives?

I have been wearing Varilux glasses for years; never did have conventional bifocals.
    The X sounds interesting, although I don't know if it would replace my dedicated shooting glasses with right lens on sights, left lens on target.

I tried some generic progressives once, when covered by insurance. Two sets of lenses gave me headaches, so I paid the premium and went back to Varilux.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    What about the Varilux lenses would make them better than other progressives?

I watched a bunch of youtube videos on them about a year ago. I never really understood exactly how they worked but
    the idea is that there are numerous prescriptions cut into the lens. They figure out where you hold a book (distance from eye
    and arc on the glasses) and make sure that that part of the lens is close up. Some parts of the lens are intermediate
    distance. They measure exactly where each of your eyeballs turn and ensure that the classes correct for the fact
    that the eyes are often rotating about some non central point. The whole thing sounded cool, but also had lots of
    "marketing speak" about all kinds of magic that improved the glasses from their previous progressive lens offering.
    They had numerous testimonials who said the glasses worked better and gave them less headaches.

all about the eye rotation center
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wksbtdMPzA

About the various zones in the x series lenses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tvVjyIGTD4

Less head movement needed for intermediate distance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQlKJHFZJQ
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I have been wearing Varilux glasses for years; never did have conventional bifocals.
    The X sounds interesting, although I don't know if it would replace my dedicated shooting glasses with right lens on sights, left lens on target.

I tried some generic progressives once, when covered by insurance. Two sets of lenses gave me headaches, so I paid the premium and went back to Varilux.

Have you tried your shooting glasses for anything other than shooting Jim? Could you compare those to your progressives as far as shooting is concerned? The first person I heard talk about glasses set up like this was Rob Leathem on a podcast. Been interested every since. I talked to my eye doctor about glasses set up like that and he tried to talk me into contacts instead.

My prescription readers just aren’t cutting it anymore for shooting or daily activities.
    Last edited by MGW; 01-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.

It looks like the X is a new "honeycomb" type of grind where multiple distances are ground into focus adjacent to each other (as opposed to finding focus distances by looking through varying upper and lower portions of the lens in a linear manner). It looks/sounds promising. I'm due for a new pair so I'll check these out.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Thanks for posting. I am watching this thread with interest.

Have you tried your shooting glasses for anything other than shooting Jim? Could you compare those to your progressives as far as shooting is concerned? The first person I heard talk about glasses set up like this was Rob Leathem on a podcast. Been interested every since. I talked to my eye doctor about glasses set up like that and he tried to talk me into contacts instead.

My prescription readers just aren’t cutting it anymore for shooting or daily activities.
    I know there are a lot of people with "monovision" in glasses, contacts, Lasik, and implants.
    I don't like it and don't wear my shooting glasses off the range.

Regular Varilux requires you to bob your head to find sight focus. That is ok for my gunsmith who shoots mainly to zero sights he installs. Too slow for action competition.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

GreggW if you are on the East Cost I suggest you get in touch with Frank Rively.
    He made my shooting and everyday glasses for me. I wrote about him here.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....hooting-Sports

You really can not combine shooting and everyday glasses, because you want shatter resistant shooting glasses
    and that means you are giving up some optical quality and for my needs I have two sets of glasses, one for shooting
    and one set up for long distance for driving (and walking around out doors).
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I found two more articles on the Varilux X, these are particularly good at explaining the details

Varilux X series: the progressive lens with an expanded field of near vision

https://www.pointsdevue.com/article/...ld-near-vision

Varilux X series: ultimate personalization to the wearer’s near-vision behavior

https://www.pointsdevue.com/article/...ision-behavior
    Last edited by nycnoob; 01-13-2019 at 01:50 AM.

User Tag List